This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#172 by capo2frets
Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:30 pm
I think more and more artist are begining to realize that there is something refreshing and pure about acoustic music. Lately, I have heard more acoustic retakes than I have in years. Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time", if you heard it on the Music Awards the other day sounded like a new song. Much more refreshing.

I understand to each their own. Everyone has different musical taste and that is cool. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's America, and music is a form of communication. For me I just believe that acoustic is the purest form and I ike the fact that more artist and musicians like myself are starting to see and understand that.

What got me playing the acoustic guitar was people like James Taylor, Bread, Eagles, Dan Folgerberg, Jim Croce. A couple of my favorite songs to play is "If" by Bread and "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas. There are many, many more great acoustic songs but a few like these two never die. They were part of an era that were ingrained into lives that never really know it untill you hear it again and then it comes to you, WOW, I never really understood just how great that song was untill now.

I've played in several bands, most recently in a church band now and I like it but it's just not acoustical enough for me. I'm looking for some others that feel the same way about good acoustical/light classical rock music. Here is another one for you. Savage Garden, "I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You". OK, I'm telling my age now but that was music. Maroon 5 has some good ballad type acoustic out there. Edwin McCain is stepping up to the plate. The Calling.

You interested?

Keep making music,
Tommy :D

#173 by KDE
Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:16 pm
Tommy,

You sound a lot like myself a few years ago. I played in rock bands for many years, then got away from it when I became a Christian. I bought a Martin D35 and just played accustic exclusivly for many years, I finger pick also. I even started playing the mandolin for a time. I listened to a lot of Dave Grisman and started jamming that style of music for a while. It's very rewarding to make and instrument come alive without a lot of gadgets plugged into it. Too bad you live in Texas. We could probably make some good music.

As of latley I've been doing a lot of Fusion. You don't get a lot of gigs doing that, but it's fun it you have a good Bassist and drummer who can cook. Right now I'm filling my head with guys like Greg Howe, Adam Nitti, and Victor Wooten. I listen to Live365.com all day at work. I also play keys too. My mom made me take accordian lessons when I was a kid. Now its paying off. I'm thinking of getting one or those Hammond modeling organs The XK3. I've also been listening to a lot of Jimmy Smith, Tony Monaco, and Ricky Peterson.

Email me some time [email protected] and we can talk more if you like.

Kerry