This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1561 by RhythmMan
Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:33 pm
Hi, pnv,
I agree - you sure can change the feel of a progression with just 1 chord.
(You might want to visit my profile, and listen to "Molasses Blues," and "Frolicking Fingers" - I suspect you'd appreciate them.)
You're right - the chord doesn't matter, as long as it fits the song.
- And - as long as it fits your mood, too, huh? :)

After all, isn't music just 'crystalized emotion?'
Yeah, I also use chords I never see on any chart.
When I write a new song, I usually hear it in my mind, first.
Then, when I translate the sound I hear onto the fretboard, it doesn't matter if I know how to play the chord, or not.
If I want to play all of what I hear, then I need to hold ALL the right chords. If don't know what chord it IS - that's just too bad.
I have to FIND that chord, if I want to put that particular emotion into my song.
Thank god for tape-recorders, and pencil & paper . . .
There comes a time when the chord charts are useless. When I 'come up with a new chord,' it is NEVER listed on the charts.
I know it's only a chord that is 'new' to me, but the charts sure don't list it.
I have found some chords in one of Ted Green's books, usually by accident.
Man, THAT guy knows his stuff!
Music theory will let you decipher what you are playing.
I haven't studied theory, because I know that it would distract me from creating as many songs as I do. And, it would change my music (which I am content with, for now).
I can play what I hear in my mind, and it doesn't matter to me what the individual chords are named.
But - knowing the names helps me find substitutions.
And, sometimes I can find a 'crummy' sounding chord, and put it into a song where it sounds great. That always makes me smile.

#1578 by Wendi
Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:26 am
Oh YEA! SOMEONE ELSE HAD THEORY CLASSES. Yes, 6th, 7ths, 9ths and sometimes even 11ths (which you can only do if you have really LARGE HANDS). I play Piano, and had theory in college. Nice to meat you!
And that is WHY garage bands sound like garage bands. They try to be a copy band and miss the 6ths, 7ths, and 9ths and cant figure out why it just does not sound quite right.
Keep on keepin on! :)

#1579 by Wendi
Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:40 am
Oh YEA! SOMEONE ELSE HAD THEORY CLASSES. Yes, 6th, 7ths, 9ths and sometimes even 11ths (which you can only do if you have really LARGE HANDS). I play Piano, and had theory in college. Nice to meat you!
And that is WHY garage bands sound like garage bands. They try to be a copy band and miss the 6ths, 7ths, and 9ths and cant figure out why it just does not sound quite right.
Keep on keepin on! :)

#1581 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:19 am
Wendi, nice to meet you, too. :)
Gee, it seems like there are an awful lot of musicians in Florida.
You're right about garage bands.
I think a lot of kids nowadays don't get any music education in schools.
School band is always geared towards orchestral music - but that's not what most kids want to play. Who wants to learn stuff you don't like?
So they don't join, and thus don't learn music, unless it's self-taught.
So - you're right, but, - we probably should give them credit for even learning to play at all, huh?
This world could probably use more mentors; to show kids music, & the chords they can't find.
I suspect many successful musicians started in garage bands - that might be where they 1st got the inspiration to play.
Learning & using the 'complicated' chords in a song is sure a great feeling, though. Remember when you first learned some of those chords?
By the way, you have a really pleasing voice.
Alan

#1598 by Guest
Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:00 pm
Alan: just wait until my cord progression chart is out. you may just find those cords you can't find in other charts....in fact the chart has everything. :D

#1602 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:32 pm
Jonny, well,
I play hundreds of chords, my friend.
I hope it's a bbbiiiiiggggggg chart!
:)
Alan

#1610 by Guest
Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:56 pm
Alan: the best way to describe it is that it helps a person to build cords into logical progressions through issulstrated patterns. In this way, it covers everything, and I do mean everything. I will send you a free copy we they are all done. :D

#1611 by Guest
Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:57 pm
Illustrated...can't type

#1613 by RhythmMan
Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:59 pm
Not to worry, Jonny,
I was just jamming w/a local bass-player, and my eyes are bleary.
That happens when I play for a long time.
I'd been working on some new songs for about an hr., before he called, and we played for another 2 hr or so.
So, if you can't type - don't worry about it. I can't see it anyway! :)
My eyes are blurry - maybe if you type a little harder, I can see it better.
:)
That chart you're talking about sounds different & interesting - I'd sure be interested, thanks.
To the people reading this: if you don't know the 7ths and 9ths, you are missing out on a LOT of music.
You might do well by yourself in buying a good guitar chart.
Alan

#1616 by Guest
Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:44 am
Hi All: Just wanted to back Alan up on what he says and give a very simple example...take the song Sweet Home alabama....the cord progression is D
C7 to G.... and picked from open cords positions. if you just played C vs The C7 you loose the original sound of the song. Playing the open cords also sets up the fingering positions for the riffs after the cords. by the way the C7 is played with just 2 fingers. This is just an easy example of how the 7th makes the song. Learn your 6ths 7ths and 9ths...it will open up a new world for you. :D

#1622 by RhythmMan
Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:14 pm
Hey, Jonny,
I used to play this, but alternating the C chord with an open C6 chord..
Sure does change the 'flavor,' huh?

#1635 by Guest
Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:28 pm
Hi alan: yes...it sure does spice things up a tad :D

#1650 by RhythmMan
Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:20 pm
Has anyone eles out there sucessfully swapped a 6th with a 7th?
Anybody?
Alan

#1867 by RhythmMan
Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:36 pm
Hmmm . . . over 1200 views to this topic, so I know people are interested.
Anyone else have any stories about chords - 6th,s 7ths, 9ths . . .
. . . or, - any stories about unusual chords?
How about stories about playing, when you played the wrong chord by accident?
. . . nahhh . . . none of us ever does that . . . :)
Alan

#1881 by Guest
Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:45 pm
Alan....talk about a big bad....i stand corrected, meant to type C6 not C7... on sweet home alabama....it is a C6 for sure.