This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

How many tiimes have you played in public?

5%
11%
13%
17%
55%
#18088 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:16 pm
Just Curious.
P.S. I just noticed that the last option never appeared.
It was "More than 200."
If you've played more than 200, just check the bottom option, "101-200."
Last edited by RhythmMan on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#18089 by JJW III
Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:27 pm
I voted 50 to 100 with it being close to 100.

#18092 by The KIDD
Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:04 pm
Hey Gang,

Man , you got me thinkin...I came up with a rough estimate of 6,356 nites...Thats pretty much till 2003..Havent played enough recently to document....Thats alotta beer.... Just think, 6-8 beers (ave.)a nite..... :lol: ...Actually , I quit in 94, BUT STILL.....

John

#18098 by Craig Maxim
Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:26 pm
The KIDD wrote:Hey Gang,

Man , you got me thinkin...I came up with a rough estimate of 6,356 nites...Thats pretty much till 2003..Havent played enough recently to document....Thats alotta beer.... Just think, 6-8 beers (ave.)a nite..... :lol: ...Actually , I quit in 94, BUT STILL.....

John

Yeah, me too. Growing up on the road from age 12, and performing full time from the age of 16, mine would be in the thousands as well.

#18100 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:34 pm
Hey, guys, that's a lot of gigs.
Would you guys check the bottom box, then?
The last option of over 200 was cut off -
Let's use the bottom check-box (101-200) to include over 200.

Maybe we can get an idea of what types of people are here

#18116 by TheCaptain
Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:04 am
lotsa church related gigs..inside the walls & out..

#18119 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:25 am
I have never gigged, thus it would be "0" for me. I look forward to it though. :D
#18133 by Swampy
Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:16 am
I see you guys are in the same boat as I ... thousands of gigs would be a better cutoff for me, too.

Not much point in working at it by yourself, if you have a crowd it's fun!

Swampy

#18138 by Irminsul
Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:43 am
I can never get enough of performing. It's when I feel the most alive.

#18140 by Paleopete
Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:16 pm
Not sure if I can hit the thousands, but definitely way over 200. I'm pretty sure I did 200 or more in a year in the 80's, usually around 75-100 and if you include 4 years of street corner playing 5 and 6 nights a week in Austin, then it would be well over 1000. Probably over 200 just this century since the year 2000...and I haven't been playing much...

If you figure it up, it doesn't take long to hit 200. 52 weeks in a year, 2 nights a weekend, that's 104 a year if you only play weekends, and happen to get booked regular. Do that for 10 years...Then how many would it be...I played with a band in the Baton Rouge area as house band, 5 nights a week for about 6 months. Then just about every weekend, 3 nights a week a lot, for 3 years, 5-6 nights a week for 4 years in Austin, pretty regular weekends in Texas for several more years, it adds up.

#18145 by neanderpaul
Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:43 pm
I'm at well over 200. I'd guess somewhere under 1000. I think the studio time is just as fun as gigging.

#18198 by Craig Maxim
Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:54 am
Paleopete wrote:
if you include 4 years of street corner playing 5 and 6 nights a week in Austin, then it would be well over 1000.

It counts brother!

You're out there playing for people in public and entertaining them.

And with all the other gigs you mentioned, you are a veteran!

One of the great things about these boards is that you have musicians and artists of all levels, and yet, we all have something to learn from one another, and we all share a passion for the craft!

Keep it rockin' and...
Happy New Years brother!

#18200 by Crip2Nite
Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:58 am
I honestly don't know?? I was touring and doing local and college gigs all through the 80's and early 90's..... Seems like a blur.... Hate to admit it but there were tons of pharmaceuticals imbibed throughout that time in my life :roll: We were averaging 1-2 gigs a week but once in a while we'd do 2 a day( Daytime at college, night time at a club) The worst were the ones on weekdays because we all actually managed to keep our day job and left the clubs at 4am and had to be at work by 6am.... hence the "little yellow pill".

I'd prolly say under 1000 if you average 2 a week for a decade, give and take time in between changing band members, etc....

Oh.... am I rambling?? :roll:

#18204 by Paleopete
Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:54 pm
Hate to admit it but there were tons of pharmaceuticals imbibed throughout that time in my life

Hehe...never was much into pharmaceuticals, although a bit of something to stay awake has been known to happen from time to time. You won't find many things I haven't at least tried, some of them I liked quite well. My main thing was that greenish-brown herbal blend rolled into those little white cylindrical objects we'd always pass around before a show, I don't think anybody ever saw me play straight until about 10 years ago when it started to have a detrimental affect on my concentration and I would make too many mistakes, so I quit...at least while playing, now it's play now party later.

In earlier years, late 60's to mid 70's all I can say is boy howdy! Sometimes I'm surprised I lived through it and remained halfway sane...Forget the little yellow pill, we had a tiny purple one - the same one Jimi Hendrix wrote a song about - and one called orange sunshine, there were other colors too...then there were the mushrooms, organic and much more friendly...white powders...all sorts of interesting substances. It was a very uncommon night the whole band didn't imbibe some sort of concoction, then there would be the songs that turned into 15 minute jam sessions...on occasion we would just tell the drummer or bass player to give us a beat and we'd run with it. Sometimes we'd wish we could have gotten it on tape, sometimes we'd hope nobody was paying much attention...

Fortunately I have better sense these days, I refuse to even drink a beer before I go onstage, once or twice a year on a really bad night I'll have one later on in the show, sometimes it helps me loosen up a bit and I won't play so bad, sometimes it makes no difference at all, it still sucks...but I'm glad those days are just memories now...I probably wouldn't be here if I'd kept it up...