This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#16355 by Craig Maxim
Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:02 am
Anyone have one of these?

I'm thinking of buying one to record Band Rehearsals, as well as live gigs. Reviews seem to be pretty good. It has 4 mics and can record in stereo or surround sound. They are meant for high quality live recordings. The H4 version, which came out first, is also a 4 track recorder, as well as an audio interface for recording to computer, but costs $100 bucks more.

The H2 retails for $199
The H4 for $299

Anyone tried one of these yet...

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

#16361 by Guitaranatomy
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:41 pm
Good question actually, I have been looking at that recording model as well.

#16379 by loudbob1955
Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:04 pm
I've used them both, but I like the H2 better. I use a 2GB Card with it and have a little over 3 hours recording time. If you want to record directly out of the Mixer, the H4 has XLR's for that. I also sell them. 8)

If you want to hear it first hand, "Savannah" on my Page is one I did with the H2 at practice one night from the Mixer to the Line IN on the H2. The Mixer had Built in FX. I usually just take what we do into Adobe Audition and add what I think it needs in Post. There were a couple of "pops" that I had to take out, so if it sounds like a "skip", it was there I took them out.

LB

#16396 by Craig Maxim
Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:20 pm
loudbob1955 wrote:
If you want to hear it first hand, "Savannah" on my Page is one I did with the H2 at practice one night from the Mixer to the Line IN on the H2.

Records clear. What about the mics? Have you recorded using the mics as opposed to going through the mixer? How do they sound?

Sounds like what we need for recording rehearsals cleanly.

btw... is someone playing the harmonica on heart of gold, or is that on keyboards?

#16419 by loudbob1955
Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:32 pm
The H4 we used with a couple of SM57's and it worked ok, but the room is all Cinder Block and bounces like crazy. So we decided that through the Board was the way to go. That's when I brought over the H2. Since we were going through the Board, it was the perfect solution. And it saved us some $$$. We did a Gig this weekend and ran it through FOH. I'm hoping it turned out well. If not, it will be a great lie detector for the Sound Guy. 8)

But it sure helps out when you want to practice at home.

Yeah, it's a harp that the "Lead Singer" plays. He's just learning, so I'm trying not to be to hard on him. :twisted:

hehehe...

LB

#16430 by Craig Maxim
Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:15 am
loudbob1955 wrote: The H4 we used with a couple of SM57's and it worked ok

No, I mean the built in mics, for field recording. The H2 has 4 mics built-in.
#16454 by Jewell
Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm
Hi,

I have the H2 Zoom. It's an awesome little machine. The fact that it's plastic bums me out a little but the recording ability and play back is incredible. It's got a nice little adapter so you can place directly in a mike stand as though it were a mic which is nice for any application. Buy it.

Jewell
#16463 by Craig Maxim
Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:24 pm
Jewell wrote:Hi,

I have the H2 Zoom. It's an awesome little machine. The fact that it's plastic bums me out a little but the recording ability and play back is incredible. It's got a nice little adapter so you can place directly in a mike stand as though it were a mic which is nice for any application. Buy it.

Jewell

Thanks Jewell. That's cool about the mic stand adapter. I think I'm pretty much sold on this thing. There aren't very many negative comments on this thing when searching customer reviews. On the contrary, everyone seems to think they are great little devices. All the recordings I have heard, which owners have posted from them, sound really clear and full.

Thanks everyone.

#16473 by loudbob1955
Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:01 pm
Yeah... Buy it!! You really will like it. But get a 2GB Card for it.

LB

#16517 by Jon Nilsen
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:31 pm
My bands uses an H2 to record rehearsals. We put it on a mic stand and use the built in mics. I was very suprised at the quality we got and continue to get every time.

A couple of caveats. Our PA is good and we use it every week so the sound is nicely balanced. The room was built as a music space so the room sounds pretty good. Not studio quality with bass traps n such but no hard surfaces and some crap that deflects sound a bit.

So basically the room you are in and your amplified sound will greatly affect your finished product. It's a one trick pony but it's a damn good trick.

#16536 by Craig Maxim
Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:37 pm
Jon Nilsen wrote:
It's a one trick pony but it's a damn good trick.

Thanks Jon. I'm gonna try and get one tomorrow, but it will be the same day as the Battle of the Bands, my group is playing, so I won't have time to play with the thing.

Anyone got advice on settings for recording live in a club?

What I need to know...

You can record in different formats. MP3 would get the most on the card, and be easiest to just use afterward. But should I expect a poorer sound quality as opposed to recording it in WAV or whatever the other options are?

Also, I saw a guy post, that he recommended setting the record levels low, and then using the "normalizing" function later, to get the levels back right. He said it would save you a lot of heartache. But the device has auto-gain, so I am not sure what is best.

As I said, and tips and tricks would be appreciated, cause I can't play with it first. Just kind of have to go in cold, and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

#16589 by Craig Maxim
Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:10 am
Ok, bought it.

Found it at Sam Ash in stock. Woohoo!

This thing is sweet! Lots of settings and limiters, various mic arrangements. Hell yeah! My band is finally gonna get some real work accomplished now!

I'll try it out at the Battle of the Bands we're playing tomorrow, and if the results are decent, I'll post something.

Thanks for all the good reviews and help!

#16594 by Jon Nilsen
Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:48 pm
Gratz on your new gadget. Unfortunately the device belongs to our drummer so I can't help you with settings and such but it's supposed to be pretty easy to use. Maybe the HC Recording forum for a quick reply.

#16615 by loudbob1955
Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:53 pm
You'll love it as much as I do. The Settings are very straight forward as is the Menu.

Remember...2GB SD CARD!!!!

8)

LB