This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#15863 by jimmydanger
Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:53 pm
I agree JW, but even if you're a not a musician in the public's mind because you're not currently gigging you are still a musician to us musicians. Writing, arranging and recording music takes just as much energy as to perform it.

I personally think and have stated here often that there is nothing wrong with doing either/both covers and originals. It is true that some venues expect one or the other and will let you know in no uncertain terms if you do not comply. But for those rooms where it's my choice I guage the audience and construct the set list based on the vibe.

I still need to put up that Badfinger cover for you, look for it later. Have a great turkey day!

edit: "No Matter What" is on my profile now. Enjoy!

#15870 by JJW III
Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:58 pm
JW,

I am in total agreement with you with lack of truely original music. This coincides with several of my ramblings, and comments that Captain Scott has made about the narrow minded thinking of contempory musicians. IMO for the most part rock music has regressed, not progressed. With all the tools, technology and roughly 50 years of prior "research" todays rock music is the best we can come up? I mean tunes written in alternate tunings are the break through? Depressing.

Also as stated anyone who plays a musical instrument is a musician. Those who create are artists, or composers. An artist/composer can also be a musician however IMO a musician that does not create, can not be the latter. This is the seperation between the two.

As I catagorically stated earlier those who create IMO are in a differnet league. They are not more of musician, then one who plays cover songs but they are held in higher esteem in my mind for there creative qualities.
#15887 by fisherman bob
Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:59 am
on the cover vs. original topic. It certainly takes considerable technical skill to perform some of the covers I've heard. It takes considerable CREATIVE skill to perform originals AND get a positive reaction from the audience, especially when the audience has never heard the original you are performing. We perform BOTH covers and originals. I almost never tell the crowd which songs are ours and which aren't. A lot of times we get a BETTER response from the originals, even though I believe we perform the covers very well. I happen to enjoy the originals more and play them with more enthusiasm. This rubs off on the audience. I certainly am not denigrating anyone for performing ONLY covers. If you enjoy that and MAKE MONEY doing it than it is obviously worth it. I guess the ultimate for me is CREATING music and making money at it, so few of us get an opportunity to accomplish that. 'Nuff said, gotta go eat some apple pie and have a beer, later...

#16673 by Crip2Nite
Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:10 pm
NO..no..no...I find it's great to do some kickass covers to lure the audience and then throw in your originals in between. That's the formula... You have to get the audience to be able to mouth the words to some of your tuns before you go throwing your own sh*t out there that they never even heard of... that worked great for us in the past....because of that mindset, we got to open up for Zebra, Southside Johnny, Goodrats, Twisted Sister, Ruff Kut, etc... We played heavy metal covers and I wrote 4 of my own tunes and the crowd flipped over them... First get them comfortable with something they already know! If you're just starting out with all originals, good luck building up an audience in a timely manner....
#16678 by Musicbyd
Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:37 pm
u[quote="Captain Scott"]
Ignore the voices of the malcontents. They know very little
I find it ironic that people like to give compliments in private so others cannot read them. Case in point, I had a guy say some very complimentary things about the dog dirt I posted. He's writes them in email fashion, though. I tell him thank you and if you really feel that way, to post a comment so they world may read your thought.

(silence) lol And he was gone.

Then I get cretins who want to find fault. I welcome this, as unknown to them, I actually get creative ideas from negative energy at times.

And you know THEY always make the meanest shots the most public they can.

for you "irminsul" and your educated friend "guitaranatomy" read and consider

#16680 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Correction Musicbyd, my shots were not meant as cruel or mean in any way. My statements were clearly made discussing the lack of English proficiency that seems to be in trend these days. You just happened to be one of the people talking without any grammatical skills whatsoever in your writings. It is very hard for people to understand what you are talking about if you fail to use punctuation and/or have run on sentences. But by no means did I mean it as an attack, it is more so to say, please properly write so we can understand you.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.
#16682 by Irminsul
Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:10 pm
Musicbyd wrote:u
Captain Scott wrote:Ignore the voices of the malcontents. They know very little
I find it ironic that people like to give compliments in private so others cannot read them. Case in point, I had a guy say some very complimentary things about the dog dirt I posted. He's writes them in email fashion, though. I tell him thank you and if you really feel that way, to post a comment so they world may read your thought.

(silence) lol And he was gone.

Then I get cretins who want to find fault. I welcome this, as unknown to them, I actually get creative ideas from negative energy at times.

And you know THEY always make the meanest shots the most public they can.

for you "irminsul" and your educated friend "guitaranatomy" read and consider

You must have me confused with someone else.

First, I don't sneakily go to someone's email to send them praise or criticism. I do it right here. Always have, always will.

Second, the only thing I was criticizing was your appalling slaughter of the English language, which resulted in an inability to even comprehend your posting. And I stand by that criticism.

If that makes you mad, good. Perhaps it will result in an improvement of your written communication skills.

#16692 by RhythmMan
Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:10 am
Yeah, Musicbyd,
Don't take it too personally, ok?
Sometimes, on the internet, we come across differently.
You know, yourself, that usually it's HOW you say something, and not what you actually say.
A different tone of voice changes the meaning.
On the internet: no tones. There is only the 'what,' and not the 'how.'
I think the general intent was to understand what you meant; sorry, in all honesty, it WAS confusing . . .
Maybe we had a little problem understanding your WORDs, but I don't think anyone really has a problem with YOU . . .
. . .
so - peace . . .

#16695 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:17 am
Neh, I have no problem with him. It is not an attack, just a statement. It is just very frustrating for me to read bad grammar. I apologize if I offended you Musicbyd. But like RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk said, sometimes we come across rude when we are not necessarily trying to be. It happens.

At any rate, peace out man, GuitarAnatomy.

#16696 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:01 am
It sort of pisses me off, Guitaranatomy. I can't tell you how many times I have run up against someone who quipped to me "musicians are usually pretty stupid or uneducated". It's a stereotype that's annoying to battle all the time, especially when the bigots are getting HELP.

#16698 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:17 am
Irminsul wrote:It sort of pisses me off, Guitaranatomy. I can't tell you how many times I have run up against someone who quipped to me "musicians are usually pretty stupid or uneducated". It's a stereotype that's annoying to battle all the time, especially when the bigots are getting HELP.

Hmm... Seems like a problem then Irminsul. I know many people say musicians are dumb. I never really thought about it though, just ignored it. I am not an idiot, at least I do not consider myself one. Most of the people on this forum seem pretty bright. But yes, I know what you mean. Well, I have no need to fight with anyone here. Yet, it is a rough stereotype to battle.

There is no way either of us can sit around with every musician and say "Come on, smarten yourself up or they will continue that bullshit that we rock band musicians are morons." Our best bet is not to get pissed off man with these dumbells who call us stupid. Let them go screw themselves.

I do not have any problems with Musicbyd, but I, like you, stand by what I said about people needing to use grammar. I just cannot stand that period. It annoys me. People go on instant messengers constantly using acronyms. I quit on that junk, after a while it is like: "What the f**k are you saying?" The only acronyms I use online are the laughs (Lol, lmao, rflol, etc...). If you ever catch me using more, please just whack me in the head.

If people want to be ignorant and think we are dumb, let them. Meanwhile... We are the ones who make the music they listen to. Yes, us schmucks. So yeah, just ignore them man. Who cares what these losers think, they can go straight to Hell with calling us idiots.

Sorry if I am a bit repetitive, just saying.

Peace out man, GuitarAnatomy.

#16700 by JJW III
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:29 am
Musicians aren't dumb or uneducated. They are lazy and undisciplined.

Big difference.

See guys that's a joke. But if I left it you would think I was serious.

I knew a guy who was dyslexic and could not read. Everyone thought he was stupid. To the contrary it was later discovered he was brilliant. To look at Albert Einstein in his old clothes or not wearing socks you would think he was stupid. He was far from dumb.

I look past poor grammar and punctuation and look at the point some one is making before I pass judgment on some ones intelligence otherwise, you have become what you most despise.

#16701 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:40 am
"Appearances can be deceiving."

#16702 by JJW III
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:44 am
Never look at looks....they will fool you every time.

#16703 by RhythmMan
Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:05 am
Hey, Wegman,
Talking about intelligence & dyslexia and all . . .
Do you know what "DNA" stands for?
Anyone?