This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#13019 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:28 am
I need advise on some of the better websites to download cover song's Free? Thanks Everyone!
Last edited by Vocals & Bass on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

#13031 by muzickmage
Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:52 am
Well well .... VB .... stealing from musicians by participating in, and encouraging, music piracy..... and while your a musician yourself.

Who's side you on?

Lets be fair ... give us the link to download all your music too.... for FREE.

#13032 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 am
muzickmage wrote:Well well .... VB .... stealing from musicians by participating in, and encouraging, music piracy..... and while your a musician yourself.

Who's side you on?

Lets be fair ... give us the link to download all your music too.... for FREE.
I am on my side Brother (Kidding). I am on the good side most of the time.With Music, All the time.(Hell)....I have free Satelite TV too. If I had some music to download, You would be more than welcome to have it Free. (Hey!) That would be a great name for a band, 'FREE'. :roll:....Peace.

#13038 by Craig Maxim
Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:55 am
Here's a new, FREE, and LEGAL download site:

http://www.SpiralFrog.com

I haven't tried it yet, but it is ad-supported and I believe has worked out a payment deal with the Majors.

Try it out, and tell us what you think!

Also...

http://www.Limewire.com

This is a really popular file-sharing program, which may or may not be legal (all this stuff is really grey-area) there are certain fair-use exceptions to copying music, like if you are copying your own purchased CD to Casette Tape, cause your car doesn't have a CD, or to put into your Computer when you have bought the CD, or the fact that you are digitally copying your CD's to put them on your portable devices, etc...

So, if you have ever owned any of the songs you are downloading, I think it could fall under fair use possibly. Copying for free was never supposed to be the problem originally. The problem came if you tried to make copies and then sell them. The digital age has changed all that, and now business is having to rethink it's role, and how to protect itself.

#13041 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:45 am
Thanks Brother! I have to get some songs to practice for an audition this Friday. 'Sonic Sledge' A well established local band. Check them out on myspace site. :D

#13054 by jimmydanger
Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:03 pm
I always buy the CD if I need to cover a song. It's the least I can do if I'm going to adopt someone's music.

#13057 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:16 pm
Got a package deal off 'itunes'. I need the songs, So this way is alot less hassel than the free sites are. Dont have to fool around with all the surveys, advertisements, etc. Gives me alot more protection against computer viruses also. Some of the free sites are loaded with viruses....Peace

#13065 by OurSins
Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:47 pm
why play covers anyhoo original music is better

#13070 by kon3
Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:11 pm
yea but coverbands are ppl too.

At least it isnt rap where no musician gets paid

#13076 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:33 pm
OurSins wrote:why play covers anyhoo original music is better
It would be nice to have the time to be able to do both, (I am working on it). Without listening to, & playing covers. Where do you get your artistic influences from? I guess if you have a natural born talent that gives you the ability to write a song that is perfect timing, Say...The modern era. 2007. And it goes strait to number one on the charts, Then you could say original music is better, But your song would then be a cover? I would state, ("Writing original music is more satisfying to me as a musician, than performing covers with a live band"). Sorry, But All Music Is Original.

#13117 by RhythmMan
Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:22 am
You don't need to listen to anyone else's music to write originals, man.
And if you don't constantly listen to other's music (and thus get their influences), then your music WILL sound original . . .

#13134 by Vocals & Bass
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:19 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:You don't need to listen to anyone else's music to write originals, man.
And if you don't constantly listen to other's music (and thus get their influences), then your music WILL sound original . . .
Thats cool if it works for you, I dont mean, Sound exactly like someone else. Dont you have Folk influences in your music RythmMan, Like James Taylor, etc.? To me, It seems impossible not to be influenced by someone. I hear what you are saying Brother, Try to explain your views & opinion a little more clear, So I may better understand how one could not have any other influences in there original music. I can listen to someones originals, & 98% of the time I can pick out their influences right away....Later.

#13147 by Vocals & Bass
Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:14 pm
(Quote):We do everything possible to persuade people not to leave themselves exposed to litigation. We educate, we warn, we even try and settle before a case gets to court. We derive no great satisfaction from this but hope it will prove a deterrent to others."

Geoff Taylor, Chief Executive of the British Phonographic Industry said: "This important court ruling serves as a strong reminder to illegal firesharers that digital shoplifting is against the law, is not anonymous and can lead to serious legal consequences."

Thats all good new's, But this in no way applies to me, Or answers my suggestion that, Everyone has to be influenced by a certain style of music, artist, etc. to a certain degree. For example, Stevie Ray Vaughn was one of the best, But he was influenced by Jimmi Hendrix. Steely Dan is one of the hardest bands for me to say who is one of their major influences, (Artist)? They have a Jazz & R&B sound. But they have a very original & unique style. They are before my time, So they may be influenced by an artist I've never heard before. I just dont see how anyone could state they are all original without any influence's by a certain Style, Artist, etc.?....This is only a personal opinion, I dont confess to know everything about music, It just seems to be common sense to me. I understand that we all have our own style & originality, And along with that, Our passion for music. And that music is infinite. Just as colors are infinite, You only need to add a small amount of another color to be original. I would suggest the same applies to music also.