This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#295216 by RhythmMan-2
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:15 pm
Suppose there is a pretty good performing musician or band who has made some kind of a name for themselves.
And you want to perform with them.
They don't have time to train you.
If you want to try out to play with them, you need to practice their songs, because the total combined sound needs to be better.
Because if an audience hears one band member searching for the notes (or hitting the notes AFTER everyone else has hit them), it makes the whole group sound sloppy.
That damages the reputation of the band and each individual band member.
If a band lets an member in who won't learn the songs then this is what happens:
"Hey, do you want to hire the "ABCD Group" to gig at this upcoming event? I heard Fred and Mark are pretty good"
"Naww; I just heard them last week, for the first time, and they sounded crappy."
A group doesn't want to train you in public. You need to bring something to the table BEFORE you perform with them.
#295217 by Mordgeld
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:21 pm
I do have some patience for people who need a bit to get up to speed but want to be a permanent part of the group and are excited about the material. After all, you would be paying session musicians to be up to speed right away whereas with a dedicated member, you don't have to worry about engaging a session musician for each gig. Someone who is unwilling or unable to put the effort into trying to be a professional should be ejected before a show ever happens. So many people want to take the approach that music isn't a competition but when you start getting paid, the people/groups who lag get the back-bench. As one of the old members in my group used to say, "when it hits, be ready".
#295218 by schmedidiah
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:46 pm
the greatest gift anyone could ever give you is to let you know as soon as possible that they're a complete waste of time. no big loss. :idea:
#295219 by Mordgeld
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:48 pm
I do see some groups with members that are talented enough but don't seem to be on the same page as the rest of the band. Diverse influences in a band are not a bad thing. I learned a hard lesson about this though. All members need to find a way to be going in the same direction. Don't make your metal guitarist try to be funk, your punk drummer to be jazz, or etc. stuff like that. You'd want to approach it from something like, how can we include funk elements in a metal riff or how can we run timing to get a jazz-like backbeat. It typically isn't fun for the audience when "one of these things is not like the others". Sometimes the thing you need a new member to do just isn't their strong point, so you have to chose whether you want to bend your material toward them or pass.
#295222 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:52 pm
I do not disagree - but at the same time, the band needs to give the new member time to acclimate to the band. Unless this is a tribute band that performs the cover songs exactly like the original band, arrangements and subtle nuances the band uses take time to learn. But the new player should know the songs.
I'm playing with a guy as an acoustic duo for a gig on Saturday. He had a list of about 20 songs he 'knew' and wanted to do - but as of Monday's rehearsal, he was still changing around his arrangements and experimenting with things. Yeah, Saturday is going to be sloppy. But its his name on the marquee.
#295247 by RhythmMan-2
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:58 pm
Besides the actual chords or notes played . . . I think one of the things that helps to make an average band a great band is to be TIGHT.
That is, everyone hitting the beat at the right time. When a bandmember consistently comes in a little early, or late, it kinda turns the rhythm to slush.
Great insights in this discussion, I enjoyed reading . . .