This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293182 by Planetguy
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:29 pm
thought this might be an interesting topic.....spouse/significant other support (or lack thereof) of our musical endeavors.

go!

(i'll weigh in later when time allows)
#293183 by schmedidiah
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:09 pm
the wife has been even more supportive than she probably should be at times. I had been going to the studio 3 times or more week before we got married. that was too much for her tastes and it became twice a week, then once a week after the first kid was born, then every 2 weeks, then every 3..... fast forward to the age where the second kid could run and climb. we just went almost 7 months without jamming. she realizes it was driving me crazy, so we're going to work on getting back on the schedule. hopefully once a month at least. *fingers crossed* :D
#293188 by MikeTalbot
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 pm
Spousal support? Mine found it ridiculous that I write original music and raised a max fuss every time I bought a piece of equipment. Meantime, she was buying houses I didn't want.

She is an Agatha Christie fan so I wrote her a song called "I see my death in your faces" based on one of those tedious tales. She told me it was time to grow up and stop writing about death and destruction...so I rebuilt the song and used it in my Z-War musical.

I gave our rather cheap outdoor furniture to a drummer (and family) who were just moved in and had no furniture at all. She threw a fit. After all, the guy had tattoos and rode a motorcycle...

And it drove her berserk that I used my music name when I was playing with folks. (Talbot of course)

That's not the only reason she is my ex, but it features.

Talbot
#293193 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:38 pm
Mine has always been totally souixporrtive

She sat home many a night with the kids, while I stayed out all night

Bought me my first Les Paul

I'm finally in a poesition to pay her back physically, emotionally, and financially

Threw a few in for you PD
#293197 by Cajundaddy
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 pm
My wife is understanding and gives me room to do what I need to do. She understands that music is like breathing for me so she respects that. How the house and yard look are her currency so I give her room to do the things that matter to her and it is a workable arrangement.

Go to gigs, promote the band, and sell merch at the back of the room? OH HELL NO! :lol:
#293201 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:58 am
My wife has bought me a keyboard, mandolin, a Seagull Merlin (dulcimer-like instrument) and a cowbell! But she learned not to buy more instruments as what is in her budget is not going to work for me these days.
She hasn't been to one of my gigs in years. She understands the needs for rehearsals, and home practice, and will even grudgingly give me "quiet time" at home when I need to do some recording.
#293211 by gbheil
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:48 pm
Jeanette's support physical, emotional, spiritual, and financial has been unequivocal.
We obviously don't see eye-to-eye on any one aspect or issue. ( she is a female after all ) however I strive to give her opinions and suggestions due diligence.
We're "one flesh", though created deferentially to complete one another.
Of course we have disagreements, sometimes outright arguments.
Yet a wiser older man once told me that it was well and good to use her perspective always to my advantage.