This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#292806 by Mordgeld
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:57 pm
Ppl in general are very critical. I can't say I'm a fan of the style you are doing so the best advice I can give you is to find a pro to coach you and sign off on your ability so you can pursue it with confidence regardless of hecklers. This was my recommendation for the singer in my band. Cost about $300-$400 in sessions, but so worth it. She sings with confidence and her pitch is spot on now.
#292810 by Mordgeld
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 pm
Simpan28 wrote:Ok but do i sound bad?

Please understand this is very subjective. If I compare you to people that I hear at open mics, is not too bad. No one would complain about you at karaoke. I hesitate to go into too many specifics since I am not a great singer. I would say you need to work on your pitch in transitions from note to note and it sounds like there is some issues with your actual technique; singing from the diaphragm, head voice vs. chest voice, posture, etc. Definitely, I don't want to discourage you because it sounds like you are on your way to being a singer but it sounds a bit rough yet like you are missing some technical knowledge. You aren't tone deaf if you can do what you already do. It just needs some work. Try some covers so you can objectively compare. Your mom and your friends will always encourage you. It can be rough to get on the stage and experience the truth. Stick with it.
#292815 by schmedidiah
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 pm
this leaves me with so many questions....

everything Mordgeld mentioned applies, but it could have also been due to a lot of other factors as well. video would have been a better way to evaluate this topic. there could have been a lot of factors that would set the audience against you. your looks, your stage presence, banter between songs, lack of confidence? an audience will spot a timid front man and exhibit negative behavior against him if they're nasty enough to behave that way. always try to be confident and professional while on stage.

then there's the music. it reminds me of how I sing along with Judas Priest these days and I can't hit the notes I could nail 25 years ago. you're doing fine and then you flounder, trying to find the note your searching for to end each stanza with a bang. you need the coaching he spoke of and should also see about transposing the music down a whole step and see if that helps.

good luck and that vocaroo site is kinda wack. :mrgreen:
#292816 by Jahva
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 pm
Audiences usually don't lie... if they get irritated they'll let anybody know. If it's a collective boooing... you were probably having a bad night. Thing is.. you should know when you're having a bad performance.
Your vocals do go flat on those recordings... not constant but enough to notice.
Not an expert to say whether or not someone is tone deaf... I do know when I'm off or when I hear an instrument out of tune. Least I think so...
Vocal Training may help...
But I guess you have to figure out if it's what you're not hearing or what your voice is actually capable of doing?
If that makes any sense...
Good luck
#292819 by DainNobody
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:23 pm
I dont believe this post..it has an air of dishonesty about it..as Judge Judy says when somebody is giving their account of a story and it sounds unnatural not soundind the correct words..

First off nobody boos at open mics..that sounds amiss right there..people attending open mics as listeners love getting free entertainment no matter the quality of performance..they might remain silent at end of performance if it is less than mediocre but they will not boo..booing is al holdover from the minstrel days in the 1800s from the gallery..
I would continue on with my observations but have stuff to do..thanks my willie for the post :roll:
#292820 by Jahva
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:08 pm
Dayne it doesn't say it was an open mic... was a Saturday night... usually not an open mic kinda nite...
Been a member since 6-18... you think Willie plans that far ahead? :lol:
#292821 by DainNobody
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:18 pm
IDK..the my mom thinks it sounds good comment sounds my willie like..doesnt sound like a natural pattern of speech spoken to my ears..my mom could be the infamous Penny?..its just some story made up to tantalize the few remaining bandmixers...I would say keep on keeping on if your heart is in it..you will stumble upon greatness with time..if t heres a will theres a way..
#292822 by DainNobody
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm
Walking off the stage could earn some boos..
#292825 by Mordgeld
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:50 pm
Simpan28 wrote:If my voice is so bad maybe i should focus more on being a showman kinda like David Lee Roth.

That definitely won't make up for anything unless you happen to know someone like Eddie Van Halen. Being a front man or woman requires firm confidence on stage and the humility off stage to explore growing as a musician. Shmed is correct, there are many factors that can contribute to a rough night. If you were up on a night that the audience paid money to get in, you will be held to a much higher standard. Your voice isn't horrible. Seriously, go at least one lesson with a pro and everything will become clear on what you need to do as a singer.
#292826 by Jahva
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:07 pm
That'd be a new level for Willie... posting songs sung in another language? I suppose he could've just got them from some other site and posted as his own? :roll:
#292828 by schmedidiah
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:32 pm
Journey? really? they've burned through 2 dudes vocal chords so far, but have at it. (death wish, imo :roll: )