This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#292005 by DainNobody
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:04 pm
New one on me..but as Faron & I were busking Tuesday..a couple dudes pulled up and after listening a few minutes..one of them approached us saying," man you guys sound hot" and shortly after was telling us about an open mic near Brighton on old Hwy. 13..3rd Saturday of every month starts at 5:30 PM..said you pay at door to get in but don't worry you get a meal with it..I about busted out laughing..is this some new concept? Pay to Play is absurd..its bad enough playing for free at open mics..
#292006 by RampancyAt12
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:34 pm
That just sounds straight up insane. Why on Earth would one pay to pplay their own music in front of a drunk crowd? you're right , playing for free is already absolute nonsense but going into the red to do it?
If it's a trend, it's the first time I've come across it. Sounds like a scam.
#292007 by schmedidiah
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:55 pm
RampancyAt12 wrote:That just sounds straight up insane. Why on Earth would one pay to pplay their own music in front of a drunk crowd? you're right , playing for free is already absolute nonsense but going into the red to do it?
If it's a trend, it's the first time I've come across it. Sounds like a scam.

pay to play is nothing new in bars (in certain marketplaces, maybe not yours), but open mics might be new. Mike B could tell you.
#292010 by Jahva
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:30 pm
Are we talking Happy Meal.. or a real like a real meal... :mrgreen:
#292011 by Planetguy
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 pm
P.T. Barnum had it right.
#292012 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:45 pm
What type of venue is it?
If its a non-profit, or a music 'listening room', then paying a cover charge is not unusual. If its a bar or restaurant, walk away.
#292022 by Mordgeld
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 am
Wow! I don't mind open mics but there is no way I'm going to pay to play or to be at one. In my past experience, venues that want to treat me like that are asking for booking later when I'm all booked up. I don't see how they'd be presenting any music that is in demand if they want to stick it to prospective talent.
#292127 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:44 pm
It could be the next step up from busking in front of the laundromat?

You guys are so negative.
#292131 by DainNobody
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 pm
We have been informed by somebody in the know to set up in the area of 300 block South Ave. Spfld. Mo.to pull in 150.00 a night on weekends..by the Piano Bar..might as well give us a dollar rather than some stinking homeless guy begging for a dollar from bar patrons leaving the bar.. :P