This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#292002 by DainNobody
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:47 am
#292202 by Mordgeld
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 am
What holds me back is janky ass musicians that suddenly have a bunch of personal problems when it's time to get it on. Maybe it is just California flakery since the reliable musicians I'm still working with aren't from here.
#292707 by Planetguy
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:47 pm
As a musician the most important thing to me (in the world of music) is growth and improvement. If I had to pick one thing that "holds me back" from meeting that goal on the timetable I'd prefer....it's spreading myself out on a number of instruments instead of devoting my prct time to one specific instr.
#292709 by Mordgeld
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 pm
Planetguy wrote:As a musician the most important thing to me (in the world of music) is growth and improvement. If I had to pick one thing that "holds me back" from meeting that goal on the timetable I'd prefer....it's spreading myself out on a number of instruments instead of devoting my prct time to one specific instr.

I have found that it improved my communication with other musicians greatly to understand how to play their instrument. But I always tell incoming musicians that I want them to be the expert on their instrument so I can go back to the one I should be playing and they can tell me how it should go on their instrument.

I'm still in lessons on theory and technique. I find that having a coach tends to steer me back to continuing to learn and improve with the various exercises and challenges I'm given. I may never be amazing, but I'd really like to be at ease with any level of musician. I started my lessons when I realized that some of the musicians I was working with didn't seem to know the notes on their instrument or how to steer towards a cohesive scale. I thought, while I'm alright with that stuff (and modes to a certain extent), for how long I've been playing, I should be much farther along. I find it embarrassing to not understand stuff. I don't like that. I might not use all I learn but I won't get caught short.
#292716 by MikeTalbot
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:06 am
I think the biggest roadblock is "musicians" who aren't as serious as we are. It's nearly driven me crazy over the years since I rate discipline right up there with creativity.

It's hard to identify them in interviews or auditions, but if you tell a guy, we play two Saturdays and four Thursdays a month and they start whining, throw a bucket of water on 'em and move on to the next.

I remember an interview with a drummer (in LA). We told him we're an original band, shooting for the stars and we work our asses off. He responded, "What's your feeling on smoking weed?" We just heaved his sad self out the door.

For the upcoming recording session we had to hire a studio dude who had no personality at all but could actually play drums...

note - Jimmy Danger and I debated that weed issue one time. I don't care who smokes what but a working band needs to focus on music.

Talbot
#292727 by schmedidiah
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:49 am
weed holds scores of musicians back and they know it. I was one. now with super potent, legal stuff available? fuggedaboudit! :mrgreen:
#292729 by Planetguy
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:20 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I think the biggest roadblock is "musicians" who aren't as serious as we are. It's nearly driven me crazy over the years since I rate discipline right up there with creativity.

It's hard to identify them in interviews or auditions, but if you tell a guy, we play two Saturdays and four Thursdays a month and they start whining, throw a bucket of water on 'em and move on to the next.

I remember an interview with a drummer (in LA). We told him we're an original band, shooting for the stars and we work our asses off. He responded, "What's your feeling on smoking weed?" We just heaved his sad self out the door.

For the upcoming recording session we had to hire a studio dude who had no personality at all but could actually play drums...

note - Jimmy Danger and I debated that weed issue one time. I don't care who smokes what but a working band needs to focus on music.

Talbot

I've never found the two to be mutually exclusive. I've known far many more musicians who are/were "held back" by booze vs pot.

As the saying goes... "All things in moderation".
#292730 by Planetguy
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:32 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I think the biggest roadblock is "musicians" who aren't as serious as we are. It's nearly driven me crazy over the years since I rate discipline right up there with creativity.

Talbot

I've never found the two to be mutually exclusive. I've known far many more musicians who are/were "held back" by booze vs pot.

#292733 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 pm
Planetguy wrote:I've never found the two to be mutually exclusive. I've known far many more musicians who are/were "held back" by booze vs pot.

Yup, the guy drinking from load-in through the show is usually going to be an issue. I don't drink at all when I'm working (that is: playing for money, or running an open mic). Focus.
#292739 by MikeTalbot
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:04 am
Mordgeld

Re modes etc. Check back on some of Planet Guy's posts and you'll find some great stuff relating to that.

Mark, GMike
Re booze
The best drummer I ever played with refuses to smoke weed because he says it's a gateway to booze. It sounds funny in a way but he is dead serious.

cheers
Talbot
#292746 by Mordgeld
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:19 am
I did go back and forth with planet guy to make sure i understood modes correctly. I think we all look at it in different ways. It takes an effort above and beyond showing up at a practice and looking cool. What I've found is that the more pro you want to go, the more it feels like work. Some ppl aren't ever ready for that.

The people I work with don't really drink or do drugs. That's hard to find if you aren't paying for session people. It just worked out that way.

I've jammed with ppl that were so stoned they couldn't remember their own song. Got to be tight if you want to rule the show.
#293009 by Mordgeld
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm
Joel Clyde wrote:Absolutely nothing. I am very happy with everything, as a full-time busker.

""We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is." :D

I say good for you Joel. I don't busk but I find unexpected opportunities lately from the open mics I have played. I agree with you. Be happy in what you can do. I'm wanted for stuff that I've not ever done before. This certainly isn't normal for me. I think my elves all burned down. But getting too comfortable in a few styles can lead to creative laziness. Rock on brother.
#293010 by schmedidiah
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:25 pm
what holds me back? my kids. :lol: