This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#291886 by DainNobody
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:23 am
in honor of and memory of Vinny Violin
raga music Dane Allen style..and as any Indian street musician would do it..from the hip and improvised

new raga sounds!

:)
https://soundcloud.com/dayne-nobody-iv/raga-today
Last edited by DainNobody on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
#291890 by DainNobody
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:19 pm
I will bet Bert Jansch turns over in his grave every time he hears his tune ripped off ..lol
#291891 by DainNobody
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:26 pm
Open main menu
Wikipedia Search
EditWatch this page
Down by Blackwaterside
Down by Blackwaterside (also known as Blackwaterside, Blackwater Side and Black Waterside), (Roud 312, Laws O1 and Roud 564, Laws P18)[1] are traditional folk songs, provenance and author unknown, although they are likely to have originated near the River Blackwater, Ulster.[2]

Synopsis
Roud 564 Variant
Recordings
Comparisons with "Black Mountain Side" Edit
Main article: Black Mountain Side
Led Zeppelin's song "Black Mountain Side" is similar sounding to "Black Waterside". Singer-songwriter Al Stewart claims to have taught the folk song to Zepplin's guitarist Jimmy Page. Stewart, who had arrived in London in early 1965, followed Jansch's gigs closely[14] and learnt what he thought was Jansch's version of "Black Waterside". However, he mistakenly believed that Jansch was using the DADGAD tuning on his guitar, whereas he was in fact using 'drop-D' tuning. At the time, Stewart was recording his own debut album and had engaged Page as a session musician. According to Stewart's account, it was he who taught Page "Blackwaterside" in DADGAD during a tea-break.[15] This may even have been Page's first acquaintance with DADGAD.[15]

In spite of this difference, Jansch's record company sought legal advice in consultation with two eminent musicologists and John Mummery QC, who was one of the best-known copyright barristers in the United Kingdom, following the release of the Led Zeppelin album, on which "Black Mountain Side" appears.[11] Ultimately, however, no legal action was ever taken against Led Zeppelin, although it was likely that Page had borrowed from Jansch's piece because it could not be proved that the recording in itself constituted Jansch's own copyright, as the basic melody was traditional. Nevertheless, Jansch said that Page "ripped me off, didn't he? Or let's just say he learned from me."[11]

References
Last edited 8 days ago by an anonymous user
RELATED ARTICLES
Bert Jansch
Scottish folk musician and founding member of the band Pentangle.

Black Mountain Side
song

Anne Briggs
British singer

Wikipedia
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
Terms of UsePrivacyDesktop
#291892 by Jahva
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:35 pm
Yeah Page/Plant plagiarized many artists over the course of Led Zep... I used Black Mountain side as the example believing most have heard it before... and you posted the Rain Song figured you're listening to some Zep these days...
#291893 by Planetguy
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:38 pm
Vinny and I used to swap tunes a while back, sometimes collaborating. This is a solo effort of mine that i dubbed "Vinny's Raga"....it's not really a raga at all. In fact it was really just a one off toss-away so I could record something with the NS EUB that had just arrived by UPS.

I was playing a lot of Gypsy Jazz at the time and thought instead of lugging my upright around, I'd check out an EUB (electric upright bass) cos it would be less of a hassle. (not so much so)

sheeeeeeeeet, the thing weighed a ton, and then you had this stand you had to set up and mount it to.....really quite the PITA. but bottom line...it just sounded like a cheap fretless to me. So, back it went. it was fun to play, but besides being to much to schlep and setup/breakdown, the optics were all wrong for an acoustic GJ trio.

you can hear it here it here.
https://soundcloud.com/planetguy-1/vinnies-raga
#291902 by DainNobody
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:09 pm
@Jahva..yeah listening to zeppelin but what got me listening years after even I considered them old hat was I want to start exploring alternate tunings and I knew Rain Song and Black Mountain Side uses strange alternate tunings..even Black Mountain Side is using what I thought was open D tuning but not quite..instead of F# on 3rd strings as open D tuning would be it uses G instead..and found out only yesterday Page dropped all strings a semitone so its Db Ab so on so forth..I am really feeling like a fish out of water when using tunings I have never used..you go to grab a note you think it should sound like and ooops.. So Black Mountain Side has many variations and started out 100s of years ago as a folk song? It sounds more Carnatic then folk to my ears but we all would have to delve into history to understand that music had lots of journeys?..if druids actually come from Egypt as stated in some reference books then I could understand influences in the music? If Aryans brought shot to Europe from Iran I could see influences in the music?..Celtic music is crazy sounding unlike anything..they come from Bulgaria 7000 years ago? And brought their sounds too..ha ha

Last edited by DainNobody on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
#291903 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:22 pm
Jahva wrote:Dayne... think that's a little too close to Black Mountain side to call it from the hip and improvised... :roll:
not in the performance just the progressions/melody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2yoad ... elin-Topic

I heard that as soon as I listened to a few snippets of it.
#291904 by DainNobody
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:23 pm
What I don't understand is why somebody leaves bandmix forum without a good reason? I know Vinny got mad at me the time we were discussing the validity of possibly casting Jew.s in a negative light but not maliciously..but to altogether quit bandmix forum over that?..he enjoyed this place like the rest of us and I do believe its all smoothed over so he needs to get his mustachioed jazz back here lol

Last edited by DainNobody on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
#291915 by Planetguy
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:32 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:What I don't understand is why somebody leaves bandmix forum without a good reason? I know Vinny got mad at me the time we were discussing the validity of possibly casting Jew.s in a negative light but not maliciously..but to altogether quit bandmix forum over that?..he enjoyed this place like the rest of us and I do believe its all smoothed over so he needs to get his mustachioed jazz back here lol

Dayne....you're confused. Why do you assume he left because of you? Sorry, not the case. Furthermore, why do you think anyone leaves "without good reason"?

I'd say most leave here simply because as a "music" forum...this place has very little to offer and they move on to other sites that do. just today you went on a rant about how everyone here is cutting each other's music and skills down. myself, i don't agree w that assessment.

but really, as a "community" this place leaves much to be desired when i compare it to other sites I frequent.

there is precious little talk about music, gear, gigs, etc...... people here are much more interested in espousing their politics.
#291916 by DainNobody
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm
Mandolin Cafe is a nice site...I just don't have the desire to explain why I'm right or wrong anymore..

new raga sounds! free!

Last edited by DainNobody on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
#291917 by Planetguy
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:00 pm
it is. and on rare occasions i have seen people get pissy and petulant there... but nothing like around here.

on the other hand i've never seen anything but love, great humor, and super smart people sharing and giving of themselves on letstalkguild.com.

vibesworkshop.com is another super cool MUSIC site.
#291926 by DainNobody
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 am
NEW RAGA! FREE STUFF! SOOTHING RELAXING!