This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#291585 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:18 pm
This is a very old article apparently, but it caught my eye because I met the author, Barry Green, as the skipper of the ferry that takes you to the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara, CA. He's got a klezmer band that I wanted to hire for a recording....and it was probably about the time this book was out, come to think of it.

July 7, 2003

New book reveals qualities shared by world's most successful musicians

By Scott Rappaport

What makes the great musicians great? That’s the very first sentence and the premise of The Mastery of Music, a new book by UC Santa Cruz lecturer Barry Green.

UCSC lecturer Barry Green’s new book includes advice from renowned musicians such as Dave Brubeck, Bobby McFerrin, Doc Severinsen, and Joshua Bell. Photo courtesy of Barry Green

Drawing from more than 120 personal interviews with revered performers such as Dave Brubeck, Bobby McFerrin, Christopher Parkening, Doc Severinsen, and Joshua Bell, Green discusses 10 qualities shared by the world’s most successful musicians that make them stand out from the pack.

Green found that true virtuosity requires more than mastery of an instrument and concentration as a performing artist. He discovered that it also requires a mastery of additional qualities of the human spirit--such as confidence, communication, passion, discipline, courage, and creativity--to take a good musician’s skills to the next level.

The book includes advice and wisdom from a diverse group of performers, including orchestral players, soloists, conductors, and jazz musicians. For example, Charles Schlueter, principal trumpet with the Boston Symphony, offers this simple, yet perceptive, tip on how to stay in the moment, reduce stress, and increase confidence in order to survive an audition or performance: "There is no anxiety in the present," Schlueter says. "Anxiety is either in the past, worrying about what was just played, or in the future, worrying about what you are about to play. Nothing can be done about either! Don’t judge or evaluate while you’re performing."

Jazz pianist Fred Hersch has a similar take on the issues of creativity and spontaneity, revealing to Green that he often lets his hands wander on the keyboards during practice sessions, yielding completely to his subconscious.
"I don’t think," Hersch observes. "Thinking is the enemy…Picasso said that if you want to create art, you have to make a mess. You have to take the time to experiment. You can’t get sidetracked by perfection issues if you want to be a great artist. You have to take chances--and a certain percentage of them are not going to bake."

A former principal bassist of the Cincinnati Symphony, Green now teaches double bass at UC Santa Cruz, and for the Young Bassist program of the San Francisco Symphony Education Department. Author of The Inner Game of Music with W. Timothy Gallwey, Green has written numerous workbooks for keyboard, voice, instruments, and ensembles. He additionally gives concerts, conducts bass workshops, and presents seminars throughout the country.

"What’s the quality or talent or skill that makes an Itzhak Perlman out of an already fine and talented musician?" Green concludes. "I believe the magic is something that we can learn from watching the great musicians, and asking ourselves about their defining characteristics. And I believe the distance between "good" and "great" that the Itzhak Perlmans of this world have traveled is a distance we all can travel, because it’s the distance between being us and being ever more fully ourselves. It is what’s inside you--whether you’re in music or the fire service, business or education--that makes you unique, special, or even great."

https://currents.ucsc.edu/03-04/07-07/music.html
#291597 by Cajundaddy
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:40 am
Good stuff Ted. I fully agree that music mastery is far more than extraordinary technique. This is a point so often lost on the bedroom players of the world.

I had an example of this Saturday night. We went to see Joan Jett and Cheap Trick at the LA Fair. Back in the day I was never really a big Joan Jett fan. She was quite the hottie but WAY too "angry female" and I sorta thought her songs were weak. She did get a ton of radio play in the early 80s so I was very familiar with her stuff but never saw her live.

When she came out on stage she was pretty casual and checked her guitar tone to make sure it was right. She launched into a few popular tunes and seemed somewhat stiff as she was adjusting to the stage and crowd. All of a sudden she just relaxed and this huge commanding stage presence emerged as she worked her way through the set. She was totally in the moment and the band was super tight, pummeling all the hit JJ and the Blackhearts tunes. I was very impressed!

She is probably 60 yrs old and looks older due to a lotta long hard nights on the road yet she has more stage presence in her little finger than most of us will ever have. Joan Jett is very good at what she does and if she comes to your town it is worth it to see the show. Cheap Trick opened and I was there to see them but honestly, Joan Jett killed em. If she comes around again I will be there. A masterful performer.
#291610 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:25 pm
Cajundaddy wrote:Good stuff Ted. I fully agree that music mastery is far more than extraordinary technique. This is a point so often lost on the bedroom players of the world.

I had an example of this Saturday night. We went to see Joan Jett and Cheap Trick at the LA Fair. Back in the day I was never really a big Joan Jett fan. She was quite the hottie but WAY too "angry female" and I sorta thought her songs were weak. She did get a ton of radio play in the early 80s so I was very familiar with her stuff but never saw her live.

When she came out on stage she was pretty casual and checked her guitar tone to make sure it was right. She launched into a few popular tunes and seemed somewhat stiff as she was adjusting to the stage and crowd. All of a sudden she just relaxed and this huge commanding stage presence emerged as she worked her way through the set. She was totally in the moment and the band was super tight, pummeling all the hit JJ and the Blackhearts tunes. I was very impressed!

She is probably 60 yrs old and looks older due to a lotta long hard nights on the road yet she has more stage presence in her little finger than most of us will ever have. Joan Jett is very good at what she does and if she comes to your town it is worth it to see the show. Cheap Trick opened and I was there to see them but honestly, Joan Jett killed em. If she comes around again I will be there. A masterful performer.

Joan Jett killed Cheap Trick?

wow... wouldn't have seen that coming

#291616 by Cajundaddy
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm
Me either! I am a long time Cheap Trick fan and have covered many of their songs over the years. They were just ok Saturday but seemed like they were there to collect a paycheck. Joan Jett OWNED every seat in the house and that took me totally by surprise. Bravo!
#291620 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:21 pm
I didn't read any of the posts

If you had to read that much, your probably not a master

Whose to judge a master?

No one holds a candle to Bach in anything you've written

He played wrote and produced at a level never seen since

He put all Verdi's stuff down on paper to save another master's work

Master? I'm nowhere close, but I'm not kidding myself
#291621 by J-HALEY
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:26 pm
Cajundaddy wrote:Good stuff Ted. I fully agree that music mastery is far more than extraordinary technique. This is a point so often lost on the bedroom players of the world.

These two bands seem to tour together a lot. I saw them 2 years ago. Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, and Heart was the order. The drummer I am playing with in the videos Irecently is the drummer for Axe (Currently recording a kick ass album). Scott told me they were doing a show with Robin Zander's band and that he is a complete dick to the musicians in his band. I doubt he is that way with Cheap Trick but you never know.
#291623 by schmedidiah
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:43 pm
"Maybe if you practiced you wouldn't suck so bad" - the baby boomer snowflakes of this forum :lol:
#291624 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:I didn't read any of the posts

If you had to read that much, your probably not a master

Whose to judge a master?

No one holds a candle to Bach in anything you've written

He played wrote and produced at a level never seen since

He put all Verdi's stuff down on paper to save another master's work

Master? I'm nowhere close, but I'm not kidding myself

It's not about who is the Master of all musicians....it's about mastering your instrument or craft. Information doesn't harm that pursuit.

By the way....I can sing better than Bethoven ever did. In that field, I am his master by your definition.

And I also pee'd in Einstein's toilet.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#291625 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:47 pm
schmedidiah wrote:"Maybe if you practiced you wouldn't suck so bad" - the baby boomer snowflakes of this forum :lol:

That is really unnecessary. Don't you have a life to get back to? I don't understand why you think trolling every post by a few people is a good use of energy?

:?
#291626 by schmedidiah
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pm
yod wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:"Maybe if you practiced you wouldn't suck so bad" - the baby boomer snowflakes of this forum :lol:

That is really unnecessary. Don't you have a life to get back to? I don't understand why you think trolling every post by a few people is a good use of energy?

:?

They're your friends. Maybe you could get them to act like they're in their goddamn 60s. :lol:
#291627 by J-HALEY
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 pm
Let go of the hate brother, if you keep carrying that anger it will eat ya up inside. Just an observation. Did you watch the vid?
#291629 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:29 pm
I didn't define it

It defines itself

you try to define it

but lost
#291630 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 pm
If that drummer in your videos is defined as good

I'd give it up Mr Haley
#291632 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 pm
I saw Cheap Trick a couple of years ago. Boring. All the 'moves' but no feeling. They were using a backing track, too - drummer was starting most songs and when the occasional backup vocal happened, there was often no one at a mic.
#291638 by J-HALEY
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:If that drummer in your videos is defined as good

I'd give it up Mr Haley

You can be a real ass sometimes Lenard. You talk a big story you’re a blowhard dude. He is better than your drummer asshole.