This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#291552 by DainNobody
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:41 pm
Snagged one online new from Sweetwater..FedEx says its on truck ready for delivery tomorrow..heard great things about these even one guy stating sounds better than his 1200.00 Taylor..lets hope so..
#291566 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 pm
No electronics. The guy who said it was better than his Taylor probably likes the narrower neck. No way the sound is better, although some people don't bond with the standard Taylor sound.
Back when I was looking for an a/e for the Beatles band, I played a bunch of Yamahas, didn't like the tone of them (acoustically) at all. In this (new) price range of $300 (including pickup) I much preferred the Epiphones and Fenders. Moving up to a Taylor (a 310e goes for $1600 - huge jump!) is another world entirely.
#291573 by J-HALEY
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:35 pm
Congrats on the acquisition Dayne! I think this Dayne? I am glad your financial situation has improved to where you can get nice gear.
As far as Taylor they are good guitars but not at all what they use to be! I have a good friend that paid for one of their High end models. He was HIGHLY disappointed. I think he paid close to 5k for the thing he had problems with the input jack he said when he took it out he couldn't believe it was plastic. He aslo had all kinds of other problems with it. Like any big corporation they start out with a great product build a name then start cutting cost to maximize profits. Then you are left with buying a name which IMO is what you get with a Taylor! I am to the point where I WILL NOT spend more than $1500-$1600 on a guitar.
Back when I had that 3k PRS I didn't like it and got rid of it I never understood what all the hype is about with those things.
#291576 by DainNobody
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:06 pm
thanks you guys for the responses.. I find the solid spruce top to be something I would not expect on a guitar in this price range.. and then laminated rosewood body? instead of a less expensive wood?..read somewhere Yamaha uses robotics to cut woods used in construction and the savings they get from that they can pass on to the customer...well.. I'm sitting here still waiting for the fedex guy to show.. I did not have a flat top and felt I needed one.. was looking at used Sigmas online but their prices seem to be holding up more than I am willing to pay...my brother owned a Sigma and I know that guitar was great sounding..could not find a Sigma local and for the money any used Sigma is bringing online might as well try one of these Yamahas..
#291577 by DainNobody
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:08 pm
Guitar Mike..I take it you have never played a Yamaha Jumbo? those were killer sounding..sustain for years.. :)
#291584 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:46 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Guitar Mike..I take it you have never played a Yamaha Jumbo? those were killer sounding..sustain for years.. :)

No, the ones I tried were all dreadnoughts. Just didn't like the sound, it had no clarity and 'digging in' (I play hard) just made it sound muddy/distorted.

As to Haley's Taylor comments. The end jack assembly/battery compartment has always been plastic on Taylors, the jack itself is metal of course. Above $1500, you're playing for more expensive wood and bling. Buy a NEW Taylor and the materials and construction are lifetime guaranteed, and of course they are made in the USA. Those Yammies are all made in China now.