This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#289865 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:31 pm
My hobby between gigs is finding jams

Tonight, a Monday in indianapolis, there are 5 open jam sessions. I'll see if I can rate them

Books and brews is early 6-9
Irving Theatre also at 6
Tin Roof starts at 7
Jazz Kitchen is a jazz jam at 8
The Thompson House seems to be the big one 8-3am

Last night in Mansfield Ohio it was The Finish Line
#289867 by DainNobody
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:39 pm
So do you have to sit in with April and Streetcats or do they let you bring your own players? Up to the stage..my back is feeling better..too bad I am not in Indy..I would jam..prolly pull the slide out..that's what I am known for
.my rep is good w/ slide..ha
#289868 by DainNobody
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 pm
Which Books and Brews? Several of those? The pointers are so bunched up all I could pull up was the South Indy l ocale. 3808 Shelby St.
#289869 by DainNobody
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:48 pm
Thanks Ted..you lucky to live in civilisation..where the jam sessions are plentiful..godspeed P.S. the Finish Line is a shoe store ..never jammed in a shoe store before..
#290189 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:12 pm
This week I was in Cleveland, back to Mansfield, back to Indianapolis and my last night of the tour is tonight in Dayton OH.

Cleveland was a lot of fun. Several really cool jam sessions but spread out during the week mostly. Went to Bar107 and CODA. The latter being better than the former.

Mansfield seems to have a jam somewhere around town most nights (bands on weekends) and much of the same crew shows up at all of them. This week at Kosta's. Ran into a guy who was hosting a jam across town when I visited there a couple years ago. Found a guitarist that I'd like to put a band together with too.

Then back to Indy for a Thursday jam and now in Dayton for my last gig of this little 3 week tour. The Dublin Pub was packed with the best cover band I've seen in a long time. Found several places right next to each other with decent live music downtown....seem to be a lot of "neighborhoods" with streets filled with live music venues around this town. You wouldn't know it by a google search but if you walk around downtown you'll find them every few steps. All of these places pay the band.

one more observation about Ohio....

This state has an unusually high number of metropolitan areas when you consider it's size. People seem to be living on top of each other, and all the venues were packed. In several places I went men were outnumbered by women, and the women (on average) are friendlier and sexier than other states.

OK, that's the midwest report. Going home for a couple of weeks to report on Asheville. Then headed up Pittsburgh way at the end of August.