This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288672 by frank_lamingo
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:06 am
I'm new to trying to share my music. I mainly do poppy type sh*t. But I don't want to clog up forums for no reason.

I don't have any musically inclined friends, and I'm looking to get some peer review to better my stuff in more constructive way than "That sounds like sh*t bro" which is pretty much as helpful as my friends get.

Any soundcloudish type of thing you guys know of to do this. Or is there a specific chat room for this stuff?

Any help would be appreciated. :)
#288700 by mylesbristowe
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:41 pm
Frank,

You can go to the Future Producers forum and share your music and get feedback: http://www.futureproducers.com

I haven't tried it, but it does seem pretty active.

To start, go to this thread and just choose your genre:
http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/showcase-your-music-give-and-receive-feedback-/
#288705 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:54 am
Not here, especially for pop. There's only about half a dozen regulars on this forum.

Why not Soundcloud, soundclick? If you want critiques on your recording/mixing, you can use homerecording.com's "MP3 Clinic" section.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#288751 by DainNobody
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:24 am
Are we basing the critique on quality of the music or quality of the sound engineer's work?
#288755 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Joel Clyde wrote:Reverbnation.com. They have a peer review process.

Pretty sure they charge for that. Don't know why anyone would pay for strangers you don't know (and don't know their credentials) to critique your music.
#288763 by Mordgeld
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm

I've had a group I'm in try it. It seemed like a mixed bag. You get some good feedback from people who actually have an interest in whatever genre you are in. You also get some useless feedback from people that don't like your kind of music at all in the first place. The only thing that bothered me was that we got a lot of contradictory feedback. That's right, people disliked the same elements that others really liked. While we didn't score badly, I see it as more helpful to Reverbnation as they suggest that you improve your song and keep paying to submit until you get a score that nets you some perks from them. I've had better luck with a different approach. I put the material up on Internet radio (Jango) and when a song gets more likes/fans, I write new songs that lean more toward the styles in the material people like the most.
#288766 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 pm
The whole concept of Reverbnation is much more 'for profit' than even this place. Virtually no 'non-musicians' use the place. The 'opportunities' they offer (when you pay for premium membership) are questionable, the 'rankings' are meaningless and only seem to be based on how much activity you yourself do on the site.

As to conflicting opinions and suggestions on submitted songs - I would not expect anything else from what is sure to be a random selection of people - really no different than putting your music out anywhere: there will be some who like a song, some who don't and some who don't pay attention at all because its not the type of music they listen to.
#288774 by Mordgeld
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 pm
Oh I get it, GuitarMike. I can see the promoted artists. It's a big club that I'm not in unless I want to pay. Plus, if you are paying to submit a song for review, you would at least expect reviewers with a grasp of how to actually give productive feedback. For example, "This sounds like shite to me because..." would be a lot more helpful than "Sounds terrible". So after puzzling out the broken grammar and spelling, there wasn't actually a whole lot to grasp about what people liked or didn't expressed in a way that was conducive to making improvements in the music.
#288775 by frank_lamingo
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:53 pm
GuitarMIke - I don't use soundcloud or soundclick cause to me that seems almost like a pre-release. I've tried it though and the feedback isn't that helpful really. But I'll check out the homerecording mp3 clinic sounds interesting.

I took a look at futureproducers a bit. That looks like probably the crowd I'm looking for. So thanky myke.

Just to be thorough, I'll have to get a little involved with reverbnation too I quess.

Thanks for the replies.
#288776 by frank_lamingo
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:55 pm
Mordgeld wrote:

I put the material up on Internet radio (Jango) and when a song gets more likes/fans, I write new songs that lean more toward the styles in the material people like the most.

Interesting process. I don't release on soundcloud cause it still feels like a release. But with internet radio you still maintain a level of anonymity. That's smart.