This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288457 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 pm
Yesterday I booked FOUR gigs at three different venues for a new duo I'm beginning w Sarah, the woman who sings, plays fiddle, gtr, and bass w me in MERE MORTALS Bluegrass Band.

I have a pretty good line of $hit and booked all these gigs w/o any promo video/audio...just my rap.

We'll be passing instruments back and forth between us and be playing a variety of music that includes 70's singer-songwriters, jazz, bluegrass, country, folk, western swing, and jazzgrass to name a few.

We're super stoked about this because we have this great "time hookup" and always agree on tempo and feel. This is NOT the case w our other bandmates so we're looking fwd to this new deal.

My great line of BS for booking gigs w no promo material aside...we do need to get some video and usable photos together since we also plan on going after the big buck wedding market playing classical repertoire too. (guess i WON'T be wearing a tank top and shorts for THAT promo stuff).

Since we have no video stuff yet, here's a full band lo-fi version of one of her tunes that she'd just introduced at prct. It's pretty good until the other guys start playing... their contributions will likely shed some light on why we're excited to be pursuing things as a duo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVNleRkitY

#288458 by schmedidiah
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:57 pm
Hope it all works out and doesn't end MM (unless that's your goal). Good luck. I mean break a leg (non performer here :oops: )
#288460 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:11 pm
thanks, schmed. we'll be continuing on w the band but this is gonna take precedence.
#288478 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:46 pm
A female fiddler will get you gigs easier than anything ...
#288480 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:A female fiddler will get you gigs easier than anything ...

poppycock! ...easier than sword swallowing midgets??? I think NOT!
#288494 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:29 pm
Are there a lot of sword swallowing midgets in Missouri? Haven't seen any in New England or eastern Canada!
#288498 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:15 pm
Planetguy wrote:Yesterday I booked FOUR gigs at three different venues for a new duo I'm beginning w Sarah, the woman who sings, plays fiddle, gtr, and bass w me in MERE MORTALS Bluegrass Band.

I have a pretty good line of $hit and booked all these gigs w/o any promo video/audio...just my rap.

We'll be passing instruments back and forth between us and be playing a variety of music that includes 70's singer-songwriters, jazz, bluegrass, country, folk, western swing, and jazzgrass to name a few.

We're super stoked about this because we have this great "time hookup" and always agree on tempo and feel. This is NOT the case w our other bandmates so we're looking fwd to this new deal.

My great line of BS for booking gigs w no promo material aside...we do need to get some video and usable photos together since we also plan on going after the big buck wedding market playing classical repertoire too. (guess i WON'T be wearing a tank top and shorts for THAT promo stuff).

Since we have no video stuff yet, here's a full band lo-fi version of one of her tunes that she'd just introduced at prct. It's pretty good until the other guys start playing... their contributions will likely shed some light on why we're excited to be pursuing things as a duo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVNleRkitY

it starts just like that...

Looks like fun, bro.

#288501 by Planetguy
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 pm
thanks ted...looks like i have another fish ....uh. er, i mean another winery owner on the line.

mike, granted it's not all that high....but all the damn sword swallowing midgets are up to their necks in work around here.

GuitarMikeB wrote:A female fiddler will get you gigs easier than anything ...

agreed. and i like to watch a good female fiddler as much as anyone, but i find that also extends to the ladies who play elec and upright bass (both of which Sarah plays and does a good job at)

#288507 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:23 pm
My ex, knowing how I am, would have shot me (literally) if I'd played with any band that included a female bass player! Are you listening Suzi Quatro?! Leave me be... 8)

Talbot
#288579 by Planetguy
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:38 pm
yod wrote:Nothing like a girl in the band to make more money and screw up everyone's life.

haha...how does you wife feel about this dynamic duo so far?

:shock:

No problems in that regard. The Mrs. is almost excited as me because I'm gonna be handing in my notice to The Spincasters (rockabilly band) after we play out the rest of the gigs we have booked thru Oct. and I'll be replacing it w something that promises to be a lot of fun, musically challenging, and monetarily rewarding.

I did a long running duo thing w a female friend a few yrs ago til she moved to Iowa. Wifey had zero problems.... but then again my duo partner was/is gay and had been in a long term relationship forever.

That MIGHT have had something to do with it!
#288604 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 am
Planetguy wrote: my duo partner was/is gay and had been in a long term relationship forever.

ya think????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My ex FREAKED that I had written a song about her...because I wanted to make the recording a duo with a female voice playing her part.

Wasn't going to be playing in a band with this other girl, mind you, but just hearing me sing with another woman was going to make her cry every time she heard this song about herself.

That was the last song I wrote about her until we got divorced. Now I have 5 more less-than-love songs about her.
#288611 by Mordgeld
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:21 am
yod wrote:
Planetguy wrote: my duo partner was/is gay and had been in a long term relationship forever.

ya think????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My ex FREAKED that I had written a song about her...because I wanted to make the recording a duo with a female voice playing her part.

Wasn't going to be playing in a band with this other girl, mind you, but just hearing me sing with another woman was going to make her cry every time she heard this song about herself.

That was the last song I wrote about her until we got divorced. Now I have 5 more less-than-love songs about her.

Love songs are great, but the greatest works arise from dealing with the pain.
#288614 by J-HALEY
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:42 am
I think any woman that has a problem with her man playing in a band with a female member is;
A. very insecure
B. a sexist
C. has a husband/boyfriend whom is not trustworthy

Any way you slice it the two should not be together.
#288618 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 pm
I can remember a time when I was sexist, and insecure, and not very trustworthy.