This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288425 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 am
see, i SAID this way to communicate is unwieldy!

ok...if you shift the first (lowest) C note of the ionian scale UP to where the D note is and play the same shape (ionian mode) you will be playing D Maj (ionian)

if you shifted the Dm dorian shape DOWN a whole step to begin at the third fret starting note=C....THEN you'd be playing Cm dorian.

why do feel we're still missing? or are we together now?

over
#288426 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:43 am
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:
I mean this seriously... That was one of the BEST and SIMPLE and CLEAR EXPLANATIONS, any one could ever present.

EXCELLENT!

thank you.
#288432 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:51 am
that's the great thing about sharing knowledge.....share your hamburger w someone and that's less for you.

share your knowledge w someone and it's more for everyone.
#288438 by Mordgeld
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 am
Planetguy wrote:see, i SAID this way to communicate is unwieldy!

ok...if you shift the first (lowest) C note of the ionian scale UP to where the D note is and play the same shape (ionian mode) you will be playing D Maj (ionian)

if you shifted the Dm dorian shape DOWN a whole step to begin at the third fret starting note=C....THEN you'd be playing Cm dorian.

why do feel we're still missing? or are we together now?

over

I think we are arriving at the same place from different directions. I've got practice now. I'll draw up a graphic later to illustrate what I'm saying.
#288444 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:20 am
Mark - speaking of trombones...

I worked with a singer who came home from the army in the very early seventies. He needed a gig so he called up an agent he knew (and I came to know) and a got a job playing with Danny and The Juniors on trombone. He'd never played a trombone but figured it out. He told me the hard part (on their Japanese tour) was doing the dance steps!

Talbot
#288452 by Mordgeld
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 am
I actually caught an error in the original image I found. Don't trust the Internet, lol. Here are the modes through Phrygian. Note how the root moves from the 1st to the 2nd to the 3rd as you move through the modes.

#288454 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:27 pm
I took an elective class at McGill called 'Music Theory for Non-Music Majors'. The first class, the teacher (wasn't a full professor) played a song written in a major scale, then proceeded to play it in the various other modes (changing the notes, but not the named intervals to demonstrate how each mode gave a different 'feel' to a melody.
#288461 by Mordgeld
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:22 pm
Yeah, each mode is relative to the major scale. Knowing this makes it more than just patterns.

Relative to Maj:

Ionian - Maj
Dorian - b3, b7
Phrygian - b2, b3, b6, b7
Lydian - #4
Mixolydian - b7
Aeolian - b3, b6, b7
Locrian - b2, b3, b5, b6, b7
#288463 by Mordgeld
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:45 pm
BTW, if you use a 7 string, grab the 3 note string from the higher B string on the preceding pattern to round out your pattern on the low B. For example, G - A - B for Ionian pattern 1, A - B - C for Ionian pattern 2, and so on. Getting started, I visualized it in my mind as wrapping around to high B until I got used to the extra string. If you go to 8 string it gets weird since standard is F# for the low rather than the G like on the higher strings. But I don't have any experience with that.
#288475 by Mordgeld
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:30 pm
Here's a good page with pictures to help visualize it all:

https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/modes/

I really like the way they number the patterns so you can easily place the root of your key on the desired position relative to Maj to achieve the mode you want, e.g. if you want A Phrygian, you simply find the 3rd in the pattern and that is where your A should be. Knowing the pattern automatically lines up all your other notes and you can see what they are assuming you are familiar with your fret-board. This way of looking at modes allows you to quickly grab a scale for improvisation of a certain feel in any given key without having to puzzle over what notes to include.