This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288246 by DainNobody
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:08 pm
First eBay guitar purchase for me in 12 years..seemed too good to be true..used for $275.00 free shipping plus 8% eBay bucks awarded that day a promo..
22.00 in eBay bucks credit = $253.00 purchase price..guy must be a music store selling gobs of guitars..had a Cordoba C10 for 550.00 I should have bought too..plus a gig bag
#288247 by DainNobody
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:15 pm
Local music stores only want to stock 200 dollar guitars..never any high end guitars..guitar center has even gotten where they won't have a high end guitar shipped in so a guy can try one out..ain't driving to Kansas City for a selection of high end guitars to try out..will buy online mail order and take chances
#288249 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 pm
The problem with ebay/mailorder purchases is damage happening during shipment, or undocumented by the seller, then you have to use the buyer protection features of ebay, but its a PITA!
#288251 by DainNobody
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:12 pm
The one and only time I bought a guitar off eBay was 12 years ago and immediately returned..SNAD..guitar had been butchered none of which you could see in the description..or photos..deceptive use of light and shadow within the photos..he even had placed a fake paper label within it..and faked the headstock emblem/badge..total nightmare ..would not tune up with itself..intonation out of whack saddle filed down too much buzzing not called out..eBay sent me a return label pronto.

.this seller looks legit
#288252 by Mordgeld
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:27 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Local music stores only want to stock 200 dollar guitars..never any high end guitars..guitar center has even gotten where they won't have a high end guitar shipped in so a guy can try one out..ain't driving to Kansas City for a selection of high end guitars to try out..will buy online mail order and take chances

I'm not sure what price-point you are suggesting high-end guitars start at. There seems to be plenty of mid-range ($500-$1000) guitars at the GC where I am. They do have some high-end stuff hanging way up the wall (mostly Gibson or Fender) but if it isn't what you want, your're right, you have to put down full price for them to even bother getting something in your hands. After the employees there made it clear how inconvenient it is for them to actually do their jobs or treat a customer with some modicum of respect, I ended up buying from Sweetwater.
#288281 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:19 pm
GC near me has fewer of the 'mid priced' ($750-$1800) guitars anymore - or they're up on the top level with the high priced stuff. I've read that some GCs are putting locks on the guitar holders for the more expensive guitars so that you have to ask someone to unlock it before trying.

Back to Dane's purchase... I assume this is the one with the hog back/sides, as the maple edition sells for a couple hundred more.
I went with a 'crossover' nylon string, too, as I knew the standard 2" neck on a classical was too wide for my fingers. Never saw one of these at GC, so never got to try one out. I didnt' like the sound of the other Cordobas they had on display in the $500 price range.
I got the Taylor 114ce-N crossover.
#288284 by DainNobody
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:22 pm
This one is probably an earlier Fusion 12 since it has mahogany sides back and spruce top..most of them have cedar top and see they seem to be pushing the maple Fusion 12....wide price range is what I found 450 to 750 generally?...with similar one like mine (which should arrive today) go ing more in the 700.00 range.. I figure if this turns out to be a lemon I should still be able to recoup 250.00 or 275.0p for it locally..the company selling it says they did a professional setup and those run 60.00 nowadays.. Chekout allusedguitars the seller on eBay..out of N.Y...looks legit
#288292 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:49 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:GC near me has fewer of the 'mid priced' ($750-$1800) guitars anymore - or they're up on the top level with the high priced stuff. I've read that some GCs are putting locks on the guitar holders for the more expensive guitars so that you have to ask someone to unlock it before trying..

Was on my way from Spartanburg SC to play in Orlando last December and somewhere around Savannah GA I realized I had forgotten my guitar. Ooops.

So I stopped at 4 music stores in Daytona...nothing exciting. Then I went to a couple more places in Orlando before deciding on the Taylor Academy 12e

I think it was $600....might have been 700. It doesn't play as easily as my Breedlove, but I love the bright "tele" tone it has. And being that cheap I'm not afraid to take it on a plane or throw in the back seat. It's my go-to guitar for open mics or jam sessions, and a really nice back up for doing concerts.

I was recently in a GC in Houston trying out their guitars and they had a nice selection but the best sounding guitar in that room was another $600 Academy 12e. That thing sounded so good I almost bought another one.

#288306 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 pm
I love a Taylor ce any model, a good player make any model sound good.
#288307 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:49 pm
The Academy series are marketed as for novices - 7/8 size, armrest, with electronics and affordable. I didn't like the smaller size when I tried them. I'm not fond of 12 fret guitars for the same reason. Just that I'm used to full size acoustics, I guess.
#288309 by DainNobody
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Fusion 12 has a single cutaway to access high register notes..so really not a 12 fret guitar implies the 12th fret is where the neck is joined with body is all..
#288314 by J-HALEY
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:53 pm
yod wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:GC near me has fewer of the 'mid priced' ($750-$1800) guitars anymore - or they're up on the top level with the high priced stuff. I've read that some GCs are putting locks on the guitar holders for the more expensive guitars so that you have to ask someone to unlock it before trying..

Was on my way from Spartanburg SC to play in Orlando last December and somewhere around Savannah GA I realized I had forgotten my guitar. Ooops.

So I stopped at 4 music stores in Daytona...nothing exciting. Then I went to a couple more places in Orlando before deciding on the Taylor Academy 12e

I think it was $600....might have been 700. It doesn't play as easily as my Breedlove, but I love the bright "tele" tone it has. And being that cheap I'm not afraid to take it on a plane or throw in the back seat. It's my go-to guitar for open mics or jam sessions, and a really nice back up for doing concerts.

I was recently in a GC in Houston trying out their guitars and they had a nice selection but the best sounding guitar in that room was another $600 Academy 12e. That thing sounded so good I almost bought another one.

You were in Houston and didn’t call me? :?
#288365 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:11 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:The Academy series are marketed as for novices - 7/8 size, armrest, with electronics and affordable. I didn't like the smaller size when I tried them. I'm not fond of 12 fret guitars for the same reason. Just that I'm used to full size acoustics, I guess.

My Breedlove is a full size dreadnaught and what I play in concert. So, yea, I was just looking for an inexpensive backup that sounds good.

Have you tried one of these? They really sound exceptionally great though they are a bit more challenging to play.

#288366 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:14 pm
J-HALEY wrote:You were in Houston and didn’t call me? :?

Sorry, bro. Was staying in Beaumont and drove into Houston twice for concerts, a couple weeks ago. The first one, I went out with a girl in Galveston afterward....and the second time I lost the rear main seal in my tour-bus at midnight on the side of I-10. Had to get a tow all the way to Winnie, buy a new vehicle. I have now greatly downsized and the most necessary gear fits in a Ford Expedition to finish the summer tour.

I've gone as far as Carlsbad NM and now hanging in Dallas for a week, Shreveport next week and then get a few days home in Asheville before St Louis in mid July and finish the month in Ohio. August either goes to New England or the Pacific Northwest....haven't decided yet.
#288369 by DainNobody
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:38 pm
The Cordoba Fusion 12 arrived just now..gotta run up to Pleasant Hope to get a 9V battery..then I will give you all a soundclip as a treat..and hear the lovely tone this guitar puts out..well pleased..better tone than the 114ce Taylor by far