This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288237 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:16 pm
In between gigs I'll go visit a jam or an open mic, so I thought it would be good to learn some more current music (not the 50s through the 90s) for that. Once I got on that kick, I haven't been able to stop and these are the songs I've learned recently. It's a mixture of current with just a couple of classics thrown in.

Now I'm wondering about the next set of songs to learn that works with this set. Suggestions? What songs do you play that work on a single guitar (and people want to hear)? I am mostly looking for songs that are/were popular and sing-alongs.

Wonderwall - Oasis
Don't Know Why - Nora Jones (this is quite a challenging part to learn!?)
Beautiful - Agullera
Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding
Dirty Work - Steely Dan
Show Them To Me - Rodney Carrington
Best of You - Foo Fighters
The Reason - Hubistank
Fire & Rain - James Taylor
Everything I Own - Bread
Feel It Still (Rebel Just for Kicks)
#288243 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Melissa/ ABB
I'm Not in Love/ 10cc
I Can't Help Falling in Love with You/ EP
#288254 by Cajundaddy
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 pm
Lots of stuff by John Mayer works and you got the pipes to sing it well..

Gravity
No Such Thing
Waiting On The Wold To Change
Say
My Stupid Mouth
Why Georgia
Dear Marie
Waitin' On The Day
#288279 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:09 pm
"Sing along" all depends on the audience makeup. At the open mics I go to, the older tunes (late 60s/70s) get the most responses, but also the bigger 'hits' of the 80s, too (but not punk or hairband stuff)
#288280 by Displaced Pianist
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:12 pm
Was looking at your list, and aren't about half of those tunes 70s - 90s? Not that there's anything wrong w/ that...

My offer to supply the kb for "Dirty Work" still stands. If'n you ever decide to record it.
#288286 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 pm
Cajundaddy wrote:Lots of stuff by John Mayer works and you got the pipes to sing it well..

Gravity
No Such Thing
Say
My Stupid Mouth
Why Georgia
Dear Marie
Waitin' On The Day

Oh, come on, you know I've got the pipes. Mayer is as easy as any of them to sing. Piece of cake.

I only recognize one of those (waiting on the world) by it's title yet wonder why you didn't mention Wonderland, which is one of the next ones I'll learn.
#288287 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:"Sing along" all depends on the audience makeup. At the open mics I go to, the older tunes (late 60s/70s) get the most responses, but also the bigger 'hits' of the 80s, too (but not punk or hairband stuff)

Yea, the older stuff is recognized by more people, but it also pegs you as an old fart if you do too much of it. The point of being a singer is girls. Not old women.
#288289 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:32 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:Was looking at your list, and aren't about half of those tunes 70s - 90s? Not that there's anything wrong w/ that...

My offer to supply the kb for "Dirty Work" still stands. If'n you ever decide to record it.

I honestly don't know about some of those songs....stopped listening to radio and watching TV (mostly) in 1990. When you do all originals and travel a lot, you lose track of what's going on elsewhere. Some of those songs are listed because I saw how an audience reacted when someone else played the song. For example, the Foo Fighters song was requested by the audience of a solo guitarist I saw a few days ago. He did a lame version but everyone in the bar seemed to know the words and sing along. Same with the Oasis song in a different place. That's what I'm looking for....songs that I could rock on an acoustic and are so popular that every girl in the place would know the words. Who cares what guys think....unless they've got a hot sister?

When I spend money to record something, I want to own it. No covers. Ever.
#288305 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:48 pm
I'm glad my old lady is still a hot little number, even as she gets close to 60.

It'll be 20 or 30 years before those girls learn some of the stuff she's forgot.

Damn I am lucky.

The church probably is as good a place as any to pick up on women.

Were expecting our second grandchild in Nov, my grandson is almost 15
and one of the best people I've ever known.

You try to make it sound fun Yod, but it's not for me, I'm almost 60. Your
damn straight I like those 50 year old songs.

I truly am blessed.

To me you've always done a disservice to the church you profess to make
your living off of, but I'm just a hard old man from Missouri SHO ME
#288308 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm
yod wrote:Yea, the older stuff is recognized by more people, but it also pegs you as an old fart if you do too much of it. The point of being a singer is girls. Not old women.

Assuming they are in the audience, of course.
#288310 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:21 pm
I read an interesting interview with Paul McCartney dated 1994 and mostly about his bass playing. He noted that the Beatles were more interested in the guys in the crowd since the chicks were mostly screaming and yelling but they'd learned that the guys were watching their hands, trying to pick up the chords and notes they were playing. He felt that kept them on their toes.

Talbot
#288315 by Cajundaddy
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 am
yod wrote:
Cajundaddy wrote:Lots of stuff by John Mayer works and you got the pipes to sing it well..

Gravity
No Such Thing
Say
My Stupid Mouth
Why Georgia
Dear Marie
Waitin' On The Day

Oh, come on, you know I've got the pipes. Mayer is as easy as any of them to sing. Piece of cake.

I only recognize one of those (waiting on the world) by it's title yet wonder why you didn't mention Wonderland, which is one of the next ones I'll learn.

IMO, nothing attracts hunnies like a John Mayer song done well. YMMV 8)
I'll add "Ticks" by Brad Paisley for the country crowd. It just works.
#288343 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm
I've done Mayer's In The Blood - newer song from last year, but didn't get much radio play as far as I can tell.

Try some Ryan Adams tunes.
Two I've done solo:
Gimme Something Good
(Taylor Swift's) Out of the Woods - terrible song, but young girls will like it

Also: When the Stars Go Blue (but add a female singer, if you can, ala the Corrs/Bono version)