This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288801 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm
Joel Clyde wrote:American Pie - Don McClean
La Bamba - Ritchie Valence
Rocky Top - Traditional Bluegrass
Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
The Dance - Garth Brooks
2 Pina Coladas - Garth Brooks
Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet
Family Tradition - Hank WIlliams jr.
Whiskey -Bent and Hell-Bound - Hank WIlliams jr.
Long-Haired Country Boy - Charlie Daniels
Leader Of The Band - Dan Fogelburg
Anything from Gordon Lightfoot
Anything from Bob Dylan
Anything from the Beatles
Anything from John Denver
Anything from Jim Croce

Thank you, Joel!

Now that's what I'm talking about. However, I would like to find songs less than 15 years old. Got any?

#288847 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm
I believe you'd like to find something less then 15 years old. :lol:

What kind of girls go out with soft, pudgy, old guys? :lol:
#288851 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:19 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:I believe you'd like to find something less then 15 years old. :lol:

What kind of girls go out with soft, pudgy, old guys? :lol:

You're just jealous because you look like a rabid goat. I lost count of how many hot girls I've been dating. Not a dud in the bunch.

But I know you also have a lot of chicks because I found the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO7MWuJ7zLA

#288916 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:10 pm
It's your story, tell it how you want.

No chicks here, been with the same woman on and off since 1979,
I'm kinda of a sinner, and she's kinda of a saint.

I'm getting better.

Sounds like your getting worse.

Poor Judas never discovered what life's really about.
#289387 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:58 pm
Joel Clyde wrote:I don't know what your skill-level is, but these songs work for me every week: At an open-mic, they are all show-stoppers. Bear in mind that on some of these, I use a TC Helicon VoiceLive GTX unit for vocal harmony. If you are going to go solo, you really should get one of these, or a similar unit. They are invaluable.

American Pie - Don McClean
Fire and Rain - James Taylor
Time In A Bottle - Jim Croce
7 Bridges Road - Eagles
Hotel California - Eagles
La Bamba - Ritchie Valence (I do this on my nylon-string)
Wind Beneath My Wings - Gary Morris
Rocky Mountain High - John Denver ( on 12-string)
Stay - Jackson Browne
Africa - Toto
Amazed - Lonestar
Leader Of The Band - Dan Fogleberg
Wreck Of The Edmond Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
The Weight - The Band
Band On The Run - Paul McCartney and Wings
Daydream Believer - The Monkees
Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson

There are a lot more, but these are enough to intimidate the competition.

Have fun.... :D

While there are some classic gems in there, every song is 40 years old or more. Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald? Really? This only work in VFW halls with people over 60.

For example, instead of LaBamba (the 50s?) maybe Despacito.

Welcome to the Old Farts Club. I'm trying to find the exit here, bro.

#289446 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:21 am
OK, Here is a good example of what a modern solo acoustic song would look like:

Attention Old Farts: The trend among really hot girls these days is this guy, Bazzi. Now you can go back to sleep.

And this is a good example of a recording artist & songwriter that isn't much of a musician when it comes to a guitar, but he made it on his voice and his looks. Over 300 million spins of this song. And it's easy to pull off with one guitar if you can sing it. (I'd probably have to substitute a couple of words lol )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPE7ZsixZwA
#289452 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm
yod wrote:OK, Here is a good example of what a modern solo acoustic song would look like:

Attention Old Farts: The trend among really hot girls these days is this guy, Bazzi. Now you can go back to sleep.

And this is a good example of a recording artist & songwriter that isn't much of a musician when it comes to a guitar, but he made it on his voice and his looks. Over 300 million spins of this song. And it's easy to pull off with one guitar if you can sing it. (I'd probably have to substitute a couple of words lol )

Gawd, horrible plugged in guitar sound - that' s the best they can get from a Gibson? I listen to enough indie radio, that I recognize the sound/style. Boy band-cutey pie, yeah, that's what the young ladies want to watch (music is only secondary.)
#289461 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:52 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
yod wrote:OK, Here is a good example of what a modern solo acoustic song would look like:

Gawd, horrible plugged in guitar sound - that' s the best they can get from a Gibson? I listen to enough indie radio, that I recognize the sound/style. Boy band-cutey pie, yeah, that's what the young ladies want to watch (music is only secondary.)

yea, and the guy can't even play his own huge hit song??? Did you notice in the comments that women didn't care that he couldn't play or sing this. I found out about him from hearing so many women that love this song. But really, try talking these lyrics instead of singing them and it would be considered sexual harrassment if the girl isn't REALLY into you.

Sex is still the heartbeat of most modern music, so a 58 year old singing this song doesn't have the same "pizzaz" but I can perform his song better than he does. Maybe that will count for something with hot 40 year olds? lol

So now you know what kinds of solo acoustic songs I'm looking for.

4 sets. 2 down, 2 to go.

#290211 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 pm
Ed Sheeran has been wowing the teenage girls for a few years now, you never heard of him, Yod? At an open mic on Saturday there was a 19-year-old kid (playing for just 3 years now) who sounded much like him. I talked to him and his father briefly, giving them some advice about networking in the Boston area.
#291568 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 pm
Joel Clyde wrote:All songs can work on a single guitar. You just have to modify them accordingly, and make them your own.... That's what guitars are all about.... :D

Any song can be played but not all "work"

That's what I'm looking for....songs that I could rock on an acoustic and are so popular that every girl in the place would know the words. Who cares what guys think....unless they've got a hot sister?