This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288079 by Mordgeld
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:00 am
Anybody else like to get out and see local original bands? Who did you see tonight? As in the same night you are posting. (support your scene) Tonight I saw Criminal Rock along with some other locals and a Canadian band.

https://www.reverbnation.com/criminalrock

Girl can rock a bass. They are soon to be moving to Michigan in about 9 days. So if you are over there, you might get to see them soon.

I'll have another post here this Friday for a different show.
#288081 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:53 am
When I get home after a show, I go to bed! You're an animal!
#288119 by schmedidiah
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:23 am
Listened to all the songs. That band is pretty good considering that 2 of the 3 members are teens. But i don't think they're doing anything original. Work, practice and some inspiration from a broader spectrum of music than just metal should help with that.
#288121 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:00 am
Mordgeld wrote:Anybody else like to get out and see local original bands? Who did you see tonight? As in the same night you are posting. (support your scene) Tonight I saw Criminal Rock along with some other locals and a Canadian band.

That's pretty much all I do. I need to get a life. hahaha

Tonight I had a gig in Odessa TX but the night before I checked a local live music venue. They had a solo singer/guitarist thing going on. I see this in about 50% of places that advertise "live music" nowadays.

Anyway the guy did a slowed down version of "Take On Me" that woke everybody up from the previous half hour of boredom.

Didn't get his name. No girls, left after one beer.
#288161 by Mordgeld
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Listened to all the songs. That band is pretty good considering that 2 of the 3 members are teens. But i don't think they're doing anything original. Work, practice and some inspiration from a broader spectrum of music than just metal should help with that.

Agreed. They pretty much ruled that show, though. They seem to have their chops and stage presence dialed in which plays really well in my area considering the broad range of local talent that will get on stage and make you look stupid if you aren't ready. Certainly not unusual to occasionally find yourself on stage opening for national acts around here if you have your shite straight. Great place to be. I certainly have the opportunity here to go to see more shows than I have money for. Looking forward to tonight. Gonna see a Satriani tribute and a Foo Fighters tribute band.
#288162 by Mordgeld
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 pm
yod wrote:
Mordgeld wrote:Anybody else like to get out and see local original bands? Who did you see tonight? As in the same night you are posting. (support your scene) Tonight I saw Criminal Rock along with some other locals and a Canadian band.

That's pretty much all I do. I need to get a life. hahaha

Tonight I had a gig in Odessa TX but the night before I checked a local live music venue. They had a solo singer/guitarist thing going on. I see this in about 50% of places that advertise "live music" nowadays.

Anyway the guy did a slowed down version of "Take On Me" that woke everybody up from the previous half hour of boredom.

Didn't get his name. No girls, left after one beer.

Ha, last guy on the last show I went to was solo singer/guitarist. I left after his first song. It was super weird stuff with a video projector and backing tracks.

I'm hoping to do some unplugged music in those type of "live music" venues. But I want to do it with two acoustic guitarists, a singer, and a drummer on a couple of djembe.
#288186 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:21 am
Mordgeld wrote:But I want to do it with two acoustic guitarists, a singer, and a drummer on a couple of djembe.

ya know what's real popular in the upstate SC area and Asheville? Use a bass pedal, with a hi-hat, added to a cajon

takes up no space and isn't too loud for a restaurant. Kind of trendy there.
#288190 by Mordgeld
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:09 am
https://www.reverbnation.com/footube

Caught these guys tonight in Auburn. Bassist is a friend of mine. I didn't see any music at RN probably due to licensing for recorded covers but if you like the idea of a Foo Fighters tribute you can follow the link out to FB for some videos. So tired, going to sleep now.
#291389 by Mordgeld
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:17 pm
Got out to to an open mic on Friday. Wanted to check it out as a place to get some casual play time. Saw some really interesting acts; some good, some that really struggled. Mostly guitarists/singers, some ukes, and a keyboard. There was even a ventriloquist. Remember folks, if your pickup takes a battery, you should bring one. If your song needs a capo, you should bring one. Also saw the singer for Cemetery Sun there. Not too familiar with them. It looks like their remaining tour dates take them from Texas throughout the west up to the northwest. My band will drop in at the same open mic place on the 21st to do a few tunes. Lacking a drummer, we have converted our set to acoustic and the singer will play Latin/African percussion instead of bass guitar.
#291420 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:08 pm
At the open mic I went to on Sunday night, there was a guy with a home-built oud. But it looks like he built it on the plastic body of an old Ovation. 10 strings with a fretless neck and bent-back headstock. He had no idea how to tune it. Luckily he only noodled one song for about 5 minutes. Then there were 2 people who signed up late, one was a woman about to read a poem ( I left at that point).
#291428 by Mordgeld
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 pm
That's pretty dead for an open mic where you were at, GMike. Too bad that guy didn't know how to handle his Oud. I would sit through someone (competently) playing one of those. The one I went to ran 7-10pm. Probably 10-12 people, all ages from 11 to 60.

I also went to the crawdad festival on Saturday. There was lots of blues and southern dance type stuff. I was too busy eating crawdads and stuff to look too closely at that. Sounded like very decently played music.
#291431 by J-HALEY
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 pm
Mordgeld wrote:That's pretty dead for an open mic where you were at, GMike. Too bad that guy didn't know how to handle his Oud. I would sit through someone (competently) playing one of those. The one I went to ran 7-10pm. Probably 10-12 people, all ages from 11 to 60.

I also went to the crawdad festival on Saturday. There was lots of blues and southern dance type stuff. I was too busy eating crawdads and stuff to look too closely at that. Sounded like very decently played music.

Down here in the south we call them mudbugs. I love me a big ole steaming plate of mudbugs, new potato and corn. Its the perfect party food doesn't fill you up too much but still full enough to keep you from acting stupid after 10 or 20 beers! :D
Our band opened for Super Bob with two other local bands last Friday it was a lot of fun. This Saturday we are opening for Zepperella at the Scout Bar. It's gonna be a Hoot!
#291432 by Mordgeld
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:41 pm
J-HALEY wrote:...Down here in the south we call them mudbugs. I love me a big ole steaming plate of mudbugs, new potato and corn. Its the perfect party food doesn't fill you up too much but still full enough to keep you from acting stupid after 10 or 20 beers! :D
Our band opened for Super Bob with two other local bands last Friday it was a lot of fun. This Saturday we are opening for Zepperella at the Scout Bar. It's gonna be a Hoot!

That's exactly what I had with the potato and corn. I do recall referring to them as mudbugs. I did run into some people there that were from the south. I grew up in the south and mid-west, so we had things in common. The prices were high enough to keep one from either filling up on food or drinking. I know where to get some live crawdads. I'm going to try it my way. Maybe I should brew a batch of beer and have my own little festival.
#291435 by J-HALEY
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:47 pm
Mordgeld wrote:
J-HALEY wrote:...Down here in the south we call them mudbugs. I love me a big ole steaming plate of mudbugs, new potato and corn. Its the perfect party food doesn't fill you up too much but still full enough to keep you from acting stupid after 10 or 20 beers! :D

That's exactly what I had with the potato and corn. I do recall referring to them as mudbugs. I did run into some people there that were from the south. I grew up in the south and mid-west, so we had things in common. The prices were high enough to keep one from either filling up on food or drinking. I know where to get some live crawdads. I'm going to try it my way. Maybe I should brew a batch of beer and have my own little festival.

The secret to boiling good crawfish is in the spices. Do your research also as soon as you turn the fire off when they are done throw a bag of ice on top if you have a big pot, if you are using a regular size pot use less ice this causes the bugs to absorb the spices. :wink:
#291438 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 pm
Mordgeld wrote:That's pretty dead for an open mic where you were at, GMike. Too bad that guy didn't know how to handle his Oud. I would sit through someone (competently) playing one of those. The one I went to ran 7-10pm. Probably 10-12 people, all ages from 11 to 60.

It was a small crowd, 10 sign ups, plus the poetess and someone after her, plus the feature, who played for 30 minutes.
I'll be doing the feature there at the end of the month. It's a nice small room where people listen to you (it's a coffee shop that also serves beer).