This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#286843 by Planetguy
Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 pm
i'm sure there are some forums where people can discuss politics w/o acting like putzes.... and i include myself.... but this sure as hell isn't one of them.

so, once i again i declare myself out of debating politics....anyone else who wants to kick around gun issues, school shootings, censorship and how it does or doesn't aplly to trump's twitter acct and the nfl's new rules about protests during the anthem.....knock yourselves out. i'm passing on that fun for now.

if i'm asked nicely (as vamp did) for my opinion on something like my views on atheism/satanism....it's very likely that i might be ready for an adult conversation if you catch me at the right time.

in the meantime how about this idea....

what say we maybe put aside some of the insults and name calling and try to focus on music for a little bit?

how about we do a VDWR thread (video deserving wider recognition) and keep it restricted to music related stuff.

i'm not big on rules and regs but maybe here's an idea or two that might keep things moving fwd....

post any ONE thing music related...and you don't get to post another until someone else has posted something. this way no one starts putting up a half dozen links at one time that no one is gonna check out. no log jams that way.

describe it if you feel like it.... however you like. point out what's cool. or don't....

i'll go first...this was just sent to me by the banjo guy in Mere Mortals.... very cool playing and arrangement of an oldie but a goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57an5dbMOQg
#286844 by Planetguy
Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm
.....and i'm pretty sure i know who will sign on for this.

and i'm looking fwd to seeing what you choose to hip the rest of us to. 8)
#286855 by schmedidiah
Sat May 26, 2018 2:54 am
great video mark. hippies dancing to good tunes reminds me of my glory days driving all over Arizona to see this band, Major Lingo. their drummer in the 80s was Tim Alexander, who went on to be the main drummer for Primus. *not great sound (cable access footage)

https://youtu.be/GNdxa7EuqHw
#286881 by Cajundaddy
Sat May 26, 2018 9:59 pm
Really great groove! No drums and yet they are totally locked-in. Inspired playing and good vocals as well. Hat tip to the production values. This is not your mom's iphone video but a pro multitrack recording that looks and sounds great.

Love it!

Now the gauntlet is thrown and I need to dig up some good stuff. Getting ready to load up for a BY party gig and it will be a bit chilly this evening for us Calif sundogs at 62F. Bringing layers so the hands don't quit on me.
#286882 by Planetguy
Sat May 26, 2018 10:55 pm
Loved that one Schmed...and we have a winner in the synchronicity dept as well....

Before checking out your link guess what instrument I was wangling on this AM...

If you guessed lap steel you're right. So I m playing my old Supro for the first time in mos..... I take a break to check out your video and ....Will ya look at that..... !!!!!!
#286890 by Planetguy
Sun May 27, 2018 6:13 pm
not sure how i got hipped to this...likely thru a wormhole on Youtube.

really great playing from everyone here, and what an unusual inst lineup! and very cool the way that the solos are offered up in short digestible bits.... you really get to hear how ea soloist carves up the chord changes and negotiates them in their own way. nice rhythm section playing too. solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWko0__qPpc
#286900 by Cajundaddy
Mon May 28, 2018 3:34 am
Howdy boys I'm back and I got one for ya. First a gig report though.

I've been to a lot of fun parties, this one had a "vibe" that didn't set well from the very beginning. Beautiful backyard and pool with tiki torches and all the trimmings. The band played mostly pretty well and it got a bit cold with a sundowner wind but once the wind died it was quite pleasant. In our biz we get to see a lot of happy drunks and sometimes belligerent drunks. Not belligerent is better. Too much alcohol for just too long methinks.

The crowd got generally kinda nasty with each other during the last set and one woman needed a trip to urgent care. Dogs were barking, very overweight women were swimming and we were glad when the last song ended. The performance fee was pretty good and the client was a little embarrassed by the negativity so he tipped us $100 on top. A nice guy who needs to find some new friends.

For my recommended video: This is a young gal who studied voice under Pete Strobl. He happened to go through the same vocal music program as I did many moons ago and went on to teach voice for a lot of A list LA performers including the Van Halens. The vid is a simple, stripped-down arrangement of a cover, performed and recorded well. See what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXhbYJPElXc
#287023 by Vampier
Wed May 30, 2018 5:05 pm
And still you remain a close minded, fearful idiot who is out of touch with the REAL World that swirls about you. But that is as it should be. Best wishes to you and your Wife and Family. The world is changing more and more quickly and "old methods" of denial and ignorance will no longer insulate ... they will hamper and create problems ... after all information is knowledge and knowledge is power ... the power to make informed and right decisions. Therefore one must seek out knowledge from every quarter available before it exists no longer ... you know like say through CENSORSHIP. By the way have you ever heard of Tommy Robinson ?
#287024 by Planetguy
Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 pm
Cajundaddy wrote:Howdy boys I'm back and I got one for ya. First a gig report though.

I've been to a lot of fun parties, this one had a "vibe" that didn't set well from the very beginning. Beautiful backyard and pool with tiki torches and all the trimmings. The band played mostly pretty well and it got a bit cold with a sundowner wind but once the wind died it was quite pleasant. In our biz we get to see a lot of happy drunks and sometimes belligerent drunks. Not belligerent is better. Too much alcohol for just too long methinks.

The crowd got generally kinda nasty with each other during the last set and one woman needed a trip to urgent care. Dogs were barking, very overweight women were swimming and we were glad when the last song ended. The performance fee was pretty good and the client was a little embarrassed by the negativity so he tipped us $100 on top. A nice guy who needs to find some new friends.

For my recommended video: This is a young gal who studied voice under Pete Strobl. He happened to go through the same vocal music program as I did many moons ago and went on to teach voice for a lot of A list LA performers including the Van Halens. The vid is a simple, stripped-down arrangement of a cover, performed and recorded well. See what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXhbYJPElXc

wow, dave....that gig sounds like it was one hullabaloo!!!

i enjoyed that video as best as i could, but i was troubled by memories of a wack gig i played a cpl yrs ago. i got roped into accompanying this lady who because it's her name...i'll refer to as "Phoebe".

a buddy of mine who attended the the same church as phoebe gave her my contact info. she'd booked a good money gig at local country club and needed someone to back her up on gtr. did i mention it was good money?

anyway....it's a quiet patio (overlooking the golf course) gig and it's ALL current day teeny bopper stuff like that Corrine Rae Bailey tune and other current day female singers. 90% of these tunes i'd never heard before....so i'm charting them out, and coming up w arrangements for solo gtr to try to rep the actual recordings.

good news is the gal has pipes and can sing. bad news is she does EVERY song w perfect mimicry catching EVERY turn and inflection of the recordings. hmmm. ok. Other problem....she's a bitch on wheels!

we get to the gig, and from start to finish she never once made any contact w the crowd, never had a word to say to them between songs, and she has her head buried in her tablet that's on the music stand in front of her, where she's reading the lyrics! she never looks at me or the crowd even ONCE!

but the best (worst)......was when we're getting ready to do another one of these faceless and facile pop tunes and i can't really remember where the tempo should be ......i ask her "where's the tempo at on this one".....w/o hesitation she brings it up on youtube on her tablet and starts playing it for me so i can hear the tempo!!!!

and it's loud enough that everyone there on this quiet patio hears it! total amateur hour! i had the tempo at the first measure but she keeps playing it and i'm telling her "ok gottit!"....."OK! GOTTIT!" seemed like she played the damn thing for 20 min!

that was a one and done!
Last edited by Planetguy on Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#287025 by Planetguy
Wed May 30, 2018 5:14 pm
GREAT PRETENDER.... take your bullshit links over to where they belong....your cesspool of a thread. this is the music side of the forum where MUSICIANS speak of that which you cannot...music.

now be gone troll and polluter of threads.

here's some walking music music for ya, GP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGrnEc_3mYo
#287031 by Vampier
Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm
Oh ... sorry but I can not click on your link because IO do not trust you Monkey Guy. You will have to try and come up with yet another attempted moniker for me since the russian Troll thing just made you more of the madman you are and was unbelievable to others ... not to you but The black Messiah has "The GREAT PRETENDER" . He pretends to be an American, a Constitutional "Scholar", a President, a husband, a Father, ... it goes on and on. In Reality he is a Traitor and you are the Poster child on BM for the misguided, deluded, contaminated, denying, close minded coward who fails at trying to be anything else ... excepting possibly a Muso ... which is to me good enough. Be well. Oh and you stupid, ignorant, accusatory crap about this being a Music Thread... Planet Monkey ... I posted a link to a song Fool. You know a song with lyrics, music and GREAT MEANING. And if you desire sooo much that I do not post here then SHUT UP and stop responding to me here ... post on MY THREAD instead "Sparky". How hard is that to figure out ... even for a MONKEY ? And further I will post on any music Thread here with appropriate posts ... despite you and whatever your diseased and dubious brain may come up with. So let me repeat ... STOP RESPONDING TO ME HERE AND DO SO ON MY THREAD AND I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO CEASE RESPONDING HERE AND PLAY WITH YOU THERE.... GOT IT ? Stop being the hypocrite you are and such a little whining BABY Monkey.