This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#292764 by DainNobody
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:29 am
“The strongest of bondages is
created by attachment, which makes one weak, ignorant, and unaware of the absolute Reality. Maya, or
illusion, is deeply rooted in attachment. When we are attached to or have a desire for something, it becomes
a source of illusion for us. Those who are free from attachments and have directed their desires toward
spiritual growth are free from the bondage of maya — illusion. The less attachment, the more inner strength;
the more inner strength, the nearer the goal. Vairagya and abhyasa — non- attachment and constant
awareness of absolute Reality — are like two wings of a bird which can fly from the plane of mortality to the
height of immortality. Those who do not allow their wings to be clipped by the illusion of maya can attain
perfection.
#292769 by DainNobody
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:43 pm
Thank-You! ..I will continue then:
:)
1. Non-violence and cowardice cannot go together, because non-violence is a perfect expression of love
that casts out fear. To be brave because one is armed implies an element of fear. The power of ahimsa
is an extremely vital and active force which does not come from physical strength.

2. A true follower of ahimsa does not believe in disappointment. He dwells above in perennial happiness
and peace. That peace and joy do not come to him who is proud of his intellect or learning; they come
to him who is full of faith and has an undivided and single-pointed mind.

3. The intellect can produce many wonders, but non-violence is a matter of the heart. It does not come
through intellectual exercises.

4. Hatred is not overcome by hatred, but rather by love. This is an unalterable law.

5. Devotion is not mere worship with the lips. It is self-surrender with mind, action, and speech.

6. Gandhi did not believe in the barriers created by religions, cultures, superstitions, and mistrust. He
taught and lived the brotherhood of all religions.

7. Gandhi believed in the art of living without concern for the fruits of one’s actions. He practiced not
worrying about success or failure, but paid attention to the work at hand without feeling the slightest
anxiety or fatigue.

8. In order to enjoy life one should not be selfishly attached to anything. Non- attachment means to have
a pure motive and a correct means without any worry or desired result. He who gives up actions falls,
but he who gives up the reward rises and is liberated.

9. Yoga is the complete re-integration of all the states of mind, the intellect, senses, emotions, instincts,
and every level of personality. It is a process of becoming whole.

10. One’s mantra becomes one’s staff of life and carries one through every ordeal. Each repetition has a
new meaning and carries one nearer and nearer to God. It is capable of transforming that which is
negative in the personality into that which is positive, and it can gradually integrate divided and
opposing thoughts at deeper and deeper levels of consciousness.
#292770 by schmedidiah
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:03 pm
I thought you were more of a Christian when I joined, Dayne? Don't mind the change, but what brought on your thirst for ancient knowledge and philosophy from the other side of this rock? :wink:
#292783 by Planetguy
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:37 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Those who do not allow their wings to be clipped by the illusion of maya can attain
perfection.

just as no musician "masters" music, or their instrument (there's ALWAYS more to learn), no one ever attains "perfection".

first off "perfection" would be defined...how?

furthermore....as in music, there is ALWAYS room for IMPROVEMENT no matter how wise, enlightened, or at peace anyone is.

the search for "perfection" is a search for fool's gold and folly. a more realistic goal in life would be striving to constantly "improve". 8)
#292784 by Mordgeld
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:50 pm
It is the human condition to find perfection in imperfection. A perfectly timed drum machine track never sounds as good as a real drummer. I think in this context, perfection is satisfaction with the product of one's best effort.

What did the Buddhist say to the cashier at the burger drive-in...
Make me one with everything. :)
#292789 by MikeTalbot
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:22 pm
When you look for perfection it's always one street over from where you're looking. I used to think I was a sort of poser as a musician because I never believed I was good enough for the level where I was playing...then one day I realized I'd never be good enough in my own eyes
but my boys thought I was and that was good enough.

Talbot
#292790 by DainNobody
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:23 pm
I am too dumb to debate..yod said..sorry.. :o :o
#292791 by Mordgeld
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:51 pm
Creative talent can overcome lack of perfection, but perfection will not overcome a lack of creative talent. That said, a performance that strives to be perfect and comes very close does stand out as professional.

I waited a long time to buy more expensive equipment because I perceived it as wasting money on my talent level. I finally decided that if what I'm doing makes others happy, then I should be too.
#292792 by DainNobody
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:01 pm
perfection was Steely Dan's obsession ..
SOURCE: wikipedia
The song "Peg"
The song's guitar solo was attempted by seven top studio session guitarists‒including Robben Ford and recurring guitarist Larry Carlton‒before Jay Graydon's version became the "keeper".[4] He worked on the song for about six hours before the band was satisfied.[5]

Jay Graydon spoke about his famous guitar solo in a 2014 interview:

“ Fortunately, I had no problems on sessions as to nailing a part, but know this—every first call studio guitarist that has played solos has been replaced by another guitarist at least once. It's just part of being a studio musician.[6] ”
Michael McDonald can be heard providing multi-tracked backup vocals in the choruses, and keyboardist Paul Griffin can also be heard talking and improvising background vocals in the final chorus and fadeout.[7]