This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#285991 by Blind Lemon Peel
Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 pm
The New Blues Festival invites you to take part in 6 String Showdown, a regional summer skill competition to crown Southern California’s best blues guitar player on the Main Stage Sunday September 2.

Bracket rounds will be held at:

• Campus Jax, Newport Beach, CA, Saturday, July 21, 2018 3PM- 11PM.

• Harvelle’s, Long Beach, CA, Sunday July 29 from 3 PM- 11PM

• Arcadia Blues Club, Arcadia, CA, Saturday August 4, 6 PM - midnight

• Paladino's, Tarzana CA, Saturday August 11 4 PM- 1:30 AM

Four regional winners will face off on the Golden Groove stage at the New Blues Festival on Saturday September 1 to determine the two finalists.

Two finalists will face off on Sunday September 2 on the Main Stage of the 2018 New Blues Festival to crown the winner.

A house band (drums and bass) will be provided at all events.

Judging will be based on skill, not speed. Tasty licks played with feeling. Phrasing. Personal expression. Tone. Timing. Dynamics. Reflection. Solos that tell a story.

Please visit our website 6stringshowdown dot com for details.

Follow us on FB for latest news.

Questions?

Contact me directly.

Rick Snyder
Media Director
6 String Showdown
mediadirector@6stringshowdown dot com
#286014 by Planetguy
Wed May 09, 2018 3:46 pm
Pass.

Music as a competitive sport??? I've never gotten that. Whether it's some classical competition or a blues gtr shoot out..... It's always seemed kinda goofy to me.

IMO once musicians are at a certain level it all becomes subjective and a matter of personal preference.... Nothing that can be measured or quantified.
#286022 by schmedidiah
Wed May 09, 2018 9:54 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Sounds like a call out to SLAKER.

Old man. Tremendous talent.

WOW...

LIFE gets tough when you start getting old.

Please go search Gary's Music.

HE is so very talented.

Saving the SLAKER for future generations. :lol:
#286026 by Planetguy
Wed May 09, 2018 10:28 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:So that is basically a BIG FUUUCK YOU!

no, it's "basically" my views on music "contests". thought that was pretty clear to anyone w/o an agenda.

but that interpretation of your's says much, no?

besides.....it's not MY gig around here to tell people "FUUUUCK YOU", "GO PHUCK YOURSELF", "FUK OFF"....and all the other variations you come up with! YOU'VE got that gig sewn up! (-:

(see the smiley face, glen...that means i don't hate you)
#286210 by MikeTalbot
Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 pm
Mark

I tend to agree. Who is better? Well, unless you are a teenybopper on youTube there is nothing to get vehement about with that. It's all subjective.

As you say, there is a certain level and then it's on with the show. My personal theory is that we really hit the ground running late in our first or second year of playing. We're raw, we're learning fast. I learned more in my first two years of playing than the next ten. (But I'm still studying! 8) )

Plus, due to my personal quirks, I never cared to compare myself with others, just wanted to always be the best I could be.

Talbot