This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#285856 by GuitarMikeB
Thu May 03, 2018 1:09 pm
So every couple of weeks, I push my standard 'guitarist available' Craigslist ad up, usually changing the title line.
This week:
Saw a singer(?) looking for a player - didn't respond to 2 emails.
Singer/player who sounds very good (multiple self-released CDs),looks to be around age 30, but is looking to tour in the future. He is also interested in putting a local band together - right now - but probably is hoping to get people who will be able to tour in the future. Not sure I'll hear back form him after the first couple of exchanges, and my June and July 'out of town' dates could screw things up.
Duo in a town about 20 miles away (towards Boston) looking for another player. Doesn't appear they have any video/sample music online, and their song list seems to be heavier rock than I'm really interested in doing. Waiting to get a call back from the singer today for some more details.
#285858 by J-HALEY
Thu May 03, 2018 1:49 pm
Mike, being flexible is important in finding good players to play with. I understand we all want to do what we want. IMO sometimes that means playing "heavier music than you want to" by doing that you will increase your chops and perhaps meet other folks that have the same taste as yourself. You can also build a reputation as a good dependable, respectful and talented musician. In the years you have known me here on bm I have played in metal, country, pop, acoustic, light rock, bands, as a result I have to turn down offers because I have built a good reputation.
#285859 by DainNobody
Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 pm
I am still waiting for old fart players to show up to the open mic I have attended the last 3 weeks straight? nothing but young people..bar patrons and musicians.. everybody is talented enough and no slouches whatsoever.. I am playing each week up on stage and after they found out I can actually play I am beckoned up to the stage and have been invited to sit in with one of the attrendees band at Artfest next weekend.. I am basically going to find players and so far everybody showing up is either in a band or a solo act,, not in any need of additions to their respective bands.. it is sort of like fishing,,you gotta keep going if you are going to catch that lunker.. old farts are in short supply :)
#285871 by GuitarMikeB
Thu May 03, 2018 8:44 pm
Haley - I'm getting too old to do stuff I don't enjoy! Out of the 30-40 songs that they sent over to me (only half of which were songs they had actually worked on), I probably knew how to play 10 songs and didn't even recognize the names of at least 10. And those songs I did recognize? I would be quite happy to never play 'Sweet Home Alabama' ever again (we did that in Trilogy, and I was always trying to get it cut from the last set!) and 'Mustang Sally' (just say NO!) I'm guessing these guys have nothing on video they an link me to, have not gigged yet - and may not even have potential gigs, not sure who what venues would like that kind of song list acoustic, and I just think its not going to be a good match.

JD - there are some open mics around like that in the Boston area too: mostly young wannabes/up-and-comers. Some good talent at times, and they're scrabbling for every $10 gig they can find, too.
#285875 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 pm
Jealous D wrote:I am still waiting for old fart players to show up to the open mic I have attended the last 3 weeks straight?

.. old farts are in short supply :)

Not around bandmix!

I moved to Dallas in the early 80s to find a music scene, and get out of Beaumont TX. Sometimes that's what you have to do.

I love jamming with the locals in Spartanburg & Greenville, but I came here to make the jump to Asheville and finally
got a place there a couple days ago. Won't live in that apartment until I get back from Israel later in May, but in years of traveling around I always liked the Asheville local scene the most. It's excellent and yet chill, like Austin used to be, but with lots of good players and live venues galore. I live within 10 miles of every live venue in this little city....gotta be 50 of them.

Lots of jam sessions doing everything from jazz to old fart rock. Rent is paid through the summer. Think I'm going to like it....
#285879 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Opportunity update:
Heard back from the singer, he's just starting to check out replies he got.
Talked to the duo guy, right away I knew it was not a good match - sometimes you can just get that 'feel' when talking to someone. As soon as he described what they were trying to do, I knew it was not for me - they're basically doing a hard rock band without a drummer, not acoustic at all (my CL ad specifically says 'acoustic guitarist, trying to keep 90% acoustic' - the other 10% when I'm playing bass or keyboards). When the other guy (guitar player) saw my song list, he knew it wasn't a good match and told the guy I was talking to that maybe he and I could work on something - but then the guy said to me 'I looked at your song list and I know 20 of the songs'. 20? From a list of over 300 songs? :roll: No, that's not going to work. I told the guy I was not looking for a 'start up' opportunity, wanted to join an act that is already actively gigging, and he got all pissy about '20 years of experience', etc. Then hung up on me.
#285882 by DainNobody
Fri May 04, 2018 2:11 pm
opportunity update:
is it not intersting living in a small community and bumping into people indirectly you have worked with in the past, only to reformulate into something positive this time? ..could be..?? dont know if it will get to 2nd base?..the singer is new blood the bassist and drummer I "worked" with last August at Murphy's Pub on open mic nights.. I am hesitant about continuing on even if Kevin "works up a new platform" I have my doubts and have already expressed not this weekend since I will audition for a country band at 4PM Saturday May5th.. there is just something about harboring less than positive feelings about musicians you have worked with that might work out given a second chance,,?? I just dont know.. songs to audition with include " Drink A Beer" " I Drive Your Truck" and "In Case You Didn't Know" if it all fails, back to the drawing board (Moon City Pub open mic night) or might try Krave Seafood and Oyster Bar open mic on Thursdays also?? :)
#285883 by DainNobody
Fri May 04, 2018 2:19 pm
I will strive on,,,whatever it takes.. to make an additional $200.00 to $300.00 a month playing live music ..hell yod's advice is probably what will eventually needs to be done..actually move to a larger market.. maybe a small RV parking in walmart parking lots is the answer while trying new ideas about how to make an additional few bucks to add to the measly retirement fixed income..?? :( :x :| :mrgreen:
#285915 by GuitarMikeB
Sun May 06, 2018 4:35 pm
most Walmarts won't allow you to park overnight anymore, Dayne.
#285918 by DainNobody
Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm
the audition was odd.. never been to one where 7 people stare at you..several of which are in the "band" and tell you to go ahead and play? I was not auditioning for front man vocalist..I thought you needed a lead guitarist? what? you want me to noodle out leads for songs?..decided to go ahead and strum chords and sing the few songs I feel at least adequate on, not great as a vocalist imo should be..so phreaking odd that I don't even know if they were even up to my opinion of adequacy? weird I dont even know what the front man vocalist sounded like? he would not perform..LMAO :D

anywho's I think I have met yet another vocalist with good chops..have not met in person, but hearing a clip of him doing Rocky Mountain Way has convinced me I want to work with him.. he's heard some of soundcloud tunes and described them as" sweet"..I just dont know anymore.. maybe it would have been best to continue working until 65 instead of 62 ..LMAO :lol:
#285944 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 07, 2018 12:55 pm
Jealous D wrote:the audition was odd.. never been to one where 7 people stare at you..several of which are in the "band" and tell you to go ahead and play? I was not auditioning for front man vocalist..I thought you needed a lead guitarist? what? you want me to noodle out leads for songs?..decided to go ahead and strum chords and sing the few songs I feel at least adequate on, not great as a vocalist imo should be..so phreaking odd that I don't even know if they were even up to my opinion of adequacy? weird I dont even know what the front man vocalist sounded like? he would not perform..LMAO :D

anywho's I think I have met yet another vocalist with good chops..have not met in person, but hearing a clip of him doing Rocky Mountain Way has convinced me I want to work with him.. he's heard some of soundcloud tunes and described them as" sweet"..I just dont know anymore.. maybe it would have been best to continue working until 65 instead of 62 ..LMAO :lol:

That 'audition' sounds like it was a waste of time. Another reason its important to have samples of your music online (live playing, not just studio) so others can 'pre-audition' you, and why I want to be able to do the same with anyone I'm checking out. If the pre-auditions (both ways) pass muster, then come up with a half dozen songs one can then audition in person together. Don't waste my time otherwise.
#285949 by Planetguy
Mon May 07, 2018 1:17 pm
auditions are ALWAYS two way streets. both parties are auditioning each other. that's why i have always insisted that EVERYONE from any band that "I'M" auditioning for has all it's band members there.

i'm w Mike....

"here's recordings and videos of my playing.....show me videos/audio recordings of you".

i have saved countless hrs of wasted time that way....just by talking to someone who appeared promising, only to have them ruled out when I later heard/saw recordings/videos.
#285953 by DainNobody
Mon May 07, 2018 2:49 pm
Mike, Planetguy, I feel confident now that I might have never showed a few weeks ago ..thinking back when they said, can you play,"Bad Moon Rising" I immediately thought that was a tune some people I was talking to on a craigslist ad mentioned in their setlist? coincidence? the more I think about it, it might have been payback for them.. thought it was odd a couple of them had sh*t eating grins when I showed up ??. I don't know..

got a rehearsal set up for Thursday morning with a vocalist who I consider a great vocalist..from what I've heard on videos hes posted on facebook..we are going to do Leader of The Band by Fogelberg, and Please Come To Boston by Dave Loggins.. I could see these goingr well at a supper club or casual dining venue.. the money if any develops, would be better splitting it two ways also.. not going to get over excited,, the music thing is fickle.. will continue hitting open mics no matter the outcome.. :) ..it s such a relief not having to think about making a living and juggling music..
#285967 by Melody Maker
Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 pm
Ya. Its harder than I thought it would be. I'm 59, been playing all my life and opportunities don't just come up and bite you in the face. I re.ember as a kid, maybe 12 yrs-old playing my Silvertone @ 10 up in the attic thinking somebody would knock on the door and ask me to join the Stones! Haha!
In my neighborhood in Philly my older brbrotheand I practically started the whole music scene in '74. By '83 after gigging for those 9 years I got married and quit playing for probably 20 years. When I started back into it, it seems the opportunities had passed me by. All the guys I played with back in the '80s are still playing together and I'm out of the loop. Kind of pisses me off...like I'm blackballed or something. Well, that's my rant.
#285969 by DainNobody
Mon May 07, 2018 10:31 pm
the guy I was going to meet for the 1st time just messaged me saying he was called back to work and they took him off 1st shift.. but then who knows if he is being honest ..when I first found this dude on the interwebz a week or so ago, he did say he had recent surgery..maybe he wass off due to injury he got at work? don't know, might have found another situation too? after he told me he was pissed about going back to work he said come over Saturday or Sunday..said sure.. he was getting a drummer over..20 minutes later he said the drummer backed out? say what? I said less mouths to feed, and he immediately said, "dude I'm thru"! almost rude like.. people talk sh*t and then people get ideas too.. in this case I am not sure what to believe, but my gut tells me he found an opportunity without the need for a guitarist(me).. ha ha :D ..one door closes, another opens..dont think his heart was into doing Fogelberg and Dave Loggins syrupy tunes..anyhow, I was not either too much, but if the gigs were there and money was right? ha ha :)