This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#285974 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 08, 2018 12:25 pm
No, the opportunities don't come up as frequently as you get older - or we're just more selective about what we consider opportunities!

Playing music you like to play for decent pay is always the ideal, but seldom completely attainable.
I know people who play solo and small band shows locally - cover song gigs that bring in 'okay' pay checks and original gigs that pay crap, but that they do because that's the music they WANT to play.
And then there are the list of 'hopefuls' who play 90% original songs and are constantly grabbing 'pass the hat' feature sets at open mics, or the $50/3-4 hour farmers markets gigs. They are trying, but in the Boston area there is just a glut of these players out there - and a lot of them are very good, too. Yesterday a couple of people posted on a FB musician group that they were doing a weekly video series for local players - they are now booked until August 2019, and this is a non-paying web-only thing, not something that's going to get someone a 'big break' or even a much of a chance at a paying gig somewhere.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Tue May 08, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#285984 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue May 08, 2018 6:43 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Yesterday a couple of people posted on a FB musician group that they were doing a weekly video series for local players - they are now booked until August 2019, and this is a non-paying web-only thing, not something that's going to get someone a 'big break' or even a much of a chance at a paying gig somewhere.

How do you know?

Name of the game in the "new" music era is raising the profile. Did you see how Spotify is starting to pay off and also there is new legislation moving through the Senate to give songwriters better royalties? The "good ole days" are starting to come back for songwriters, so introducing your music to hundreds of people at a time "could" (and I stress "could") help you win a large audience if you have something they like.

#285986 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 08, 2018 7:48 pm
yod wrote:How do you know?

Name of the game in the "new" music era is raising the profile. Did you see how Spotify is starting to pay off and also there is new legislation moving through the Senate to give songwriters better royalties? The "good ole days" are starting to come back for songwriters, so introducing your music to hundreds of people at a time "could" (and I stress "could") help you win a large audience if you have something they like.

Because I know the people doing this - they are local players trying to get gigs like everyone else. It's a start-up, there is no big new audience. Promotion will be done by the people getting the interview/song/show.
#286000 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm
But...they're going to squeeze me onto a show when the opportunity arises - it helps to always be networking, I met one of the show's hosts at my songwriter circle last month.
#286031 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Because I know the people doing this - they are local players trying to get gigs like everyone else.

The Beatles started that way....

It's a start-up, there is no big new audience. Promotion will be done by the people getting the interview/song/show.

Audience is something you build. Not saying these guys ever will, but everyone goes their own path to success and its not outside the realm of possibility.