This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#285771 by Planetguy
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:09 pm
Though right hand dominant, I've always been pretty ambidextrous...I can throw a damn tight spiral left handed!

I've been dealing with some shoulder pain (right side) for about 5 mos now. Tough guy I am....I've been trying to "walk it off" and (less than) smart guy I am....."work it out" in the gym. No dice.

Finally had an MRI on it yesterday AM.

Planet Jazz played a gig last night, so I'm on gtr, vibes, and percussion. I had my bandmates haul my vibes. The actual playing hasn't never been much of a problem as I play all those instruments from the wrist (insert lewd comment here) and don't use big movements from the shoulder....

....EXCEPT when i pick up a shaker! So, a cpl of songs in....i put down my vibe mallets and pick up a shaker to play behind a drum solo.....I immediately had the good sense NOT to try that w my right hand and grabbed it with my left.

BAM....news flash! I CANNOT play a shaker for $hit w my left hand! Figured that one out pretty quick before doing too much groove damage, so I bailed on that and grabbed a cowbell instead. We all have our limitations, I guess.

Oh, yeah.....got the results from the MRI a little while ago.....F#CK ME...I've got a torn rotator cuff. :(

Here's a song from last night....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FdPyhLBl62vBr1op1p3jehSR2w74YWOA/view?ts=5ae2c3e4
#285775 by MikeTalbot
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:23 pm
Mark

Pretty nice tune, the vibes seem to resonate nicely.

re shoulder - I literally feel your pain. I've been drowning in steroids (asthma) and the medicine destroyed part of the bone in my right shoulder. The x-ray and MRI did not make me smile. Seems to be under control now though.

i guess your career as a major league pitcher is on hold.

Talbot
#285788 by Planetguy
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:07 am
Thanks for checking it out, MT and thanks for the commiseration. Sorry about your health woes.

Getting old certainly isn't for sissies.
#285801 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:16 pm
SO are you just going to live with it or get surgery? I've heard of others getting it repaired, can take quite a long time to heel (no playing!)
I've been dealing with a moderate amount of right shoulder pain for some time now, don't want to know ....
#285803 by schmedidiah
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:21 pm
My dad had rotator cuff surgery about 5 years ago. He was recovering and decided it was time to go out without the brace. He ran into a big burly guy at the pizza place he had recently done some business with and he almost removed my dad's arm trying to shake his hand. Luckily my mom was there to intervene. :D
#285805 by Displaced Pianist
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:25 pm
Sounds good, but needs...something. Maybe some harmonic dissonance. Gee, wonder what instrument could do that...

They've been yammerin' for the last 8 years wanting to whack away at my spine. Told me they could fix all the discs, eliminate the pain, that I'd probably still be able to walk. I told 'em I'd rather be in pain and bipedal, than pain-free in a wheelchair. Still applies.

Gettin' old really does suck. You can finally do whatever you want, but no longer have the body for it.
#285863 by Planetguy
Thu May 03, 2018 3:09 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:SO are you just going to live with it or get surgery? I've heard of others getting it repaired, can take quite a long time to heel (no playing!)
I've been dealing with a moderate amount of right shoulder pain for some time now, don't want to know ....

MRI showed 70-80% tear. If i don't get it repaired that means i sell my canoe, i'm done kayaking, playing b-ball, tennis, i'm finished working out at the gym, etc.

not really an option.

i have surgery sched for May 17. the problem is my calendar....just super busy w gigs. i explained to the surgeon my deal and asked..."well, i don't do any big 'strummy' type motions w my right arm, but instead play from the wrist. how long before i can play a gig w my arm in a sling and my elbow pretty much pinned to my side?"

he ok'd me for a wk later. of course there'll be no vibes playing anytime soon, and no arco work (bowing) on my upright.

oh well.
#285864 by Planetguy
Thu May 03, 2018 3:11 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:Sounds good, but needs...something. Maybe some harmonic dissonance. Gee, wonder what instrument could do that...

are you kidding, DP? my clams don't provide ENOUGH harmonic dissonance? :lol:
#285869 by J-HALEY
Thu May 03, 2018 4:37 pm
Planetguy wrote:Though right hand dominant, I've always been pretty ambidextrous...I can throw a damn tight spiral left handed!

I've been dealing with some shoulder pain (right side) for about 5 mos now. Tough guy I am....I've been trying to "walk it off" and (less than) smart guy I am....."work it out" in the gym. No dice.

Finally had an MRI on it yesterday AM.

Planet Jazz played a gig last night, so I'm on gtr, vibes, and percussion. I had my bandmates haul my vibes. The actual playing hasn't never been much of a problem as I play all those instruments from the wrist (insert lewd comment here) and don't use big movements from the shoulder....

....EXCEPT when i pick up a shaker! So, a cpl of songs in....i put down my vibe mallets and pick up a shaker to play behind a drum solo.....I immediately had the good sense NOT to try that w my right hand and grabbed it with my left.

BAM....news flash! I CANNOT play a shaker for $hit w my left hand! Figured that one out pretty quick before doing too much groove damage, so I bailed on that and grabbed a cowbell instead. We all have our limitations, I guess.

Oh, yeah.....got the results from the MRI a little while ago.....F#CK ME...I've got a torn rotator cuff. :(

Here's a song from last night....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FdPyhLBl62vBr1op1p3jehSR2w74YWOA/view?ts=5ae2c3e4

Crap Mark I am sorry to hear that! Torn rotator cuff is what I went through last year. I couldn't work, play guitar and no gigs after surgery for at least 3 months. That rotator cuff is the slowest healing I have ever been through. The surgery is not bad it is actually day surgery you go home the same day just be sure you get an orthopedic surgeon that has a good track record of doing these surgeries. I really thought I would lose my mind during that healing process. Thank God I have the job I have that was waiting for me to return. The out of pocket cost's on these things is in the neighborhood of 4k by the way. Unfortunately these days you don't have a lot of control on these cost, stay in network with your surgeon and hospital. If possible the anesthesiologist too.
#286444 by Planetguy
Fri May 18, 2018 4:07 pm
wow, no idea your recup was so slow, jeff. but glad youre back and that it's in the rear view mirror for you now.

so, my surgery went down yesterday. typing lefthanded is for the birds so i'm going to cut and paste the note that the mrs sent out this AM to friends and family for those keeping score at home.

Unc/Mark received a nerve block prior to surgery and as a result had zero pain yesterday. Unfortunately it only was expected to last 24 hours and it wore off by the time he woke up this morning. He did get a good night’s sleep. We began the pain medication before bedtime last night hoping to get ahead of the pain before the nerve block wore off. He had more this morning. He is in pain, but it is bearable. We will keep him drugged today and tonight.

The surgeon had some very good news for us: when he got in there he discovered the tear was only 50% not the 80% the MRI had appeared to show. This resulted in a much less invasive repair. The doctor said Unc’s recovery will be faster because of this. And of course it was done arthroscopically, so that will help.

Unc/Mark plans on playing his gigs next weekend (!). He has gigs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. And plans on giving two students lessons Thursday. The doctor said he thought that was doable if no equipment is lifted and he doesn’t try to play upright bass – just stick to electric guitar and bass which doesn’t require use of the shoulder. I am skeptical……..

And did I mention that before the surgery Mark poured 950 lbs. of concrete to extend the sidewalk to the driveway (we got rid of the old rusty bridge now that we had the drainage work done on the house – no longer a small pond there when it rains). Just what the doctor ordered when you have a torn rotator cuff.
#286446 by J-HALEY
Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm
Glad your surgery went better than expected. Mine was torn in 3 places. One of the tears looked like a vagina. These are the before and after repair pics the doctor took during surgery. Did you wake up in an immobilizer? Take care of that repair because you can get frozen shoulder or tear it again. If I were you I would cancel everything until you see how the repair heals. That tissue is slower than bone when healing!
#286465 by MikeTalbot
Sat May 19, 2018 12:28 am
Mark

Playing a gig might not be the best idea you ever had. But men are men, and when the ladies aren't fussing at us they are glad of it.

heal quickly amigo
Talbot
#286482 by Planetguy
Sat May 19, 2018 6:09 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Glad your surgery went better than expected. Mine was torn in 3 places. One of the tears looked like a vagina.

well, f_ck that.

and thanks from myself and everyone for not including those pics! no immobilizer for me, just had me slung in a sling. thanks... i appreciate the words of caution, but i'm being as smart as is possible for my dumbass in how i'm gonna take it along.

MT

i agree it is highly unlikely that playing a three gig wkend a wk after getting bit on...perhaps this isn't the best idea i've ever had. i also heartily agree w your take on what is yet one more thing we can count on.

thanks for checking in, men.