This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#285170 by Strings N Hammers
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:43 pm
I'm not sure who originally thought up this idea but it seriously needs to end right frickin now.

First of all keyboards are the gheyest instrument in a band lineup. No hot chick in the history of music ever looked at an entire band lineup and wanted to sex the keyboard player. That's fact. Adding 2 keyboard players in the same band just increases the ghey factor to unsustainable levels.

Second, a keyboard is not a guitar (fact check this). Why have 2 keyboards in the same band when you can have 2 guitars... possibly even 3, 4, or 5 guitars all cranking out power chords. Need I say more?

Third, sure there have been a few bands with 2 or more keyboards that have been successful in the past but sometimes freak things just happen, like when a pterodactyl swoops out of the sky and steals your cellphone right out of your hand. No one knows why these things happen, they just do and we accept it.

Now I don't expect everyone to agree witj me and I don't even claim everything I say makes a whole lot of sense. I guess what I'm saying is that can we all just agree to stop this horrid injustice? It's very insulting to the audience.

Thanks for stopping over to visit me in my padded cage tonight, please don't forget to tip your waitress at the door.

~Keyboard player guy
#285178 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:59 pm
Kind of early in the day to be sh*tfaced, eh? :lol:
#285180 by Mordgeld
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:37 pm
Looks like he posted after noon so not too early, lol. I thought it was kinda funny. I'd try and do something like this just mess with him but I don't think I could find even one real keyboardist willing to stoop to the level of jamming with a mere guitar-playing mortal especially if power chords are involved.
#285183 by Planetguy
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 pm
Hmmm, I bet that second keyboardist in The Allman Bros is the reason Greg could never get laid!

Attempts at humor aside... There aren't a lot of two keyboard player groups that come to mind but I can think of a few that got it done pretty good.... Ambrosia, The Band.... and what about Bitches Brew era Miles Davis w Keith Jarrett and Chick Correa...
#285188 by schmedidiah
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 pm
Then he signs it "-Keyboard player guy" :lol:
#285191 by schmedidiah
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:25 pm
Mordgeld wrote:He should have signed it "-Rigid Pianist" for maximum laughs.

:lol:
#285204 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:35 pm
Back in the 70s, I saw Gary Wright ('Dreamweaver'), his band was 3 keyboards and a drummer.
Let's talk about the Beatles - McCartney on piano and Billy Preston on organ (but no, they didn't tour that way).
The Band had Richard Manuel on piano and Garth Hudson on organ.
Springsteen's full E-Street Band had a piano player and an organ player.
Grateful Dead for a few years in the 90s (Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby)
The Tubes
Utopia (early version) had as many as 3 keyboardists, and when Todd toured the 'Healing' album a few years ago, he had 2 keyboards (Roger Powell and Greg Hawkes).
Roxy Music - Ferry & Eno
Elton John has had another keyboard player in most of his touring bands.
Doobie Brothers had Michael McDonald on piano and an organ player, too.

I'm sure there are many more ...

More than 2 guitarists - ala the Outlaws in 1970: 'you take a lead', 'ok, now you take a lead'. 'ok, my turn' - 15 minute songs with 3 lead guitar parts!
#285205 by schmedidiah
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 pm
I think Steely Dan had a second keyboard player as well as a second guitarist when I saw them in 03. There are solos that Fagan and Becker won't touch if they never wrote and performed them on the album.
#285207 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:05 pm
Just retarded?
30 years ago "ghey" was retarded

I love when they have the grand pianos nose to nose
#285210 by Displaced Pianist
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:38 pm
It took me a few graphs to recognize--and appreciate--the OP's sarcasm (I'm slowin' down in my old age), but it was confirmed by the 4th graph. Never had a pterodactyl swoop down to swipe my cell phone (mostly 'cause I don't have one), but I once had an owl snatch a ciggie right from my mouth. These things really do happen. I suspect the OP is one of them keyboard players the hot chicks step over to get to the guitarist (or drummer or bass player), and it's a scenario I know all too well.

Trust Mike to come up w/ plenty of good examples to the contrary, but more often than not, a 2-KB setup is only used for live performances, esp. when the music has multiple KB parts (like, say, w/ SD, as Schmeddy notes). Not many bands have 2 KBs in their regular, everyday line-up. The 2nd KB is always a guest left out of any band pics, and never gets to join in any reindeer games.

I don't like 2 KBs for more prosaic reasons. First, in this day and age, it means one of us likely has to play electronica, synth, etc. I hate doin' that, would rather have a recreational root canal. And second, on the off chance there is a cute gal who wants to know if I can play "Fur Elise" or "Clair de Lune," I don't want her attn. distracted by someone who was brought in to play 2-finger synth fills. That way I can tell her, yeah, sure, but I need the score...which is back at my house... I may be a pianist, but I ain't dumb.

--Displaced (disturbed) Pianist
#285212 by Planetguy
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:05 pm
I do like and appreciate good playing from a keyboardist.....but when I'm playing vibes, give me a gtrst over a keyboardist ANY day when it come to them comping behind me.