This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#284818 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:
Planetguy wrote:Ahhhhh, it doesn't matter WHAT the style of music.... If the drummer ain't happening... ain't NOTHING happening.

And how many hundreds of times have I said this you mother AHOLE. Few words missingOMG :roll:

I am going to PHUCK WITH YOU EVERY CHANCE I GET!

i am done with you!

Meds, Glen, get back on the MEDS

I guess you are so dumb you didn't get the message.
move your stupid sh*t over to non music general chat!

Now to contribute something of value. Share a story.
I was so privelidged to watch a short concert by CARMINE APPICE. You go look him up.

It was a little place with a little band. They were excellent players.
Carmine sat in behind the drums and to explain it simply, he turned them into a whole orchestra . He instantly made all those musicians GODS.

Trying to explain the difference between how one man can take a stick and hit a drum so differently that it becomes magic is something I can't explain.
Rock Drummers. Thank You!

Mike go fluuckkyourself!
#284823 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:36 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:
I guess you are so dumb you didn't get the message.
move your stupid sh*t over to non music general chat!

Now to contribute something of value. Share a story.
I was so privelidged to watch a short concert by CARMINE APPICE. You go look him up.

It was a little place with a little band. They were excellent players.
Carmine sat in behind the drums and to explain it simply, he turned them into a whole orchestra . He instantly made all those musicians GODS.

Trying to explain the difference between how one man can take a stick and hit a drum so differently that it becomes magic is something I can't explain.
Rock Drummers. Thank You!

Mike go fluuckkyourself!

YOu dare say that after posting this?
And how many hundreds of times have I said this you mother AHOLE. Few words missingOMG :roll:

I am going to PHUCK WITH YOU EVERY CHANCE I GET!

i am done with you!”

Get back on your meds, Glen.
#284842 by Planetguy
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm
Welcome to Bandmix, Surf Mania. I don't mean to welcome you here being contrary but i disagree w a cpl of your statements....

Surf Mania wrote:That's a shame

One art form lost is the ability to groove now a days. Where the bass lines and main drum patterns actually match up. It's like people forgot the bass drum and root note of the bass line are suppose to be played together at the same time. I see this all the time and it really kills the backing track to any band.

gotta disagree there. the bass drum and the bass line have to WORK TOGETHER but by no means does that mean they have to always be playing the same "hits", marching together in "lockstep" to work well together. There's few things I hate as much as when a drummer feels he has to try match every one of my "hits" (be they "roots" fifths, thirds, or whatever) w his kick drum.

It takes like ten years to master drums and be really good at all the different styles and rudiments...

really? not nine yrs? or eleven? :D as I see it, given some talent and a lot of hard work you can become very proficient at all things musical.....but you NEVER "master" anything......since there's ALWAYS more room for growth and improvement!

It could be the drummer doesn't understand how all the different drum patterns fit together that are needed for each song and how its related to the bass lines supporting the rhythm.

you might want to reread the OP's first post as he stated the drummer's actual playing was only part of the problem(s).

Once again, welcome to bandmix, Surf Mania....I hope you stick around to talk music. Don't let the rabid chihuahua who's been spamming this board with his mindless "child molester" and "child rapist" rantings lead you to believe that's all that goes on around these parts. He's been reported to administration, and so hopefully we can all get back to discussing music on what IS afterall a Music forum. 8)
#284845 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:26 pm
I seen Carmine Appice play with Leslie West, and Corky Laing play with Leslie West.
I thought Corky was a better drummer, but Carmine sure had the big kit
#284851 by schmedidiah
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:03 pm
Mark, I would say if Surf Mania refers to surf music, then yes. The drummer and bassist do need to be able to lock in a groove like that (and then be able to turn it off when needed. Everything has its limits).
#284852 by Planetguy
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Mark, I would say if Surf Mania refers to surf music, then yes. The drummer and bassist do need to be able to lock in a groove like that (and then be able to turn it off when needed. Everything has its limits).

"a groove like that".... meaning where the kick drum plays all the hits with the bass player???

granted the kick drum isn't that easy to hear on these two ex., but i'm prettly sure the kick isn't playing the eighth and sixteenth note pattern that the bass line does on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omG-hZfN6zk

or when the bass player plays eight notes here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omG-hZfN6zk
#284859 by MikeTalbot
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:23 am
I've been accused of overplaying a time or two, but never by a drummer I respected. Nor do I exist to make guitar players look good or act as their metronome.

It's about making the song look good and that is what i focus on. Playing in the pocket? Please...when it is appropriate, and only then.

Talbot
#284884 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:59 pm
Under playing and/with dynamics is a harder skill
#284903 by aiki_mcr
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:08 pm
Surf Mania wrote:TIt takes like ten years to master drums and be really good at all the different styles and rudiments (even if many are not used much) use to be military siganls anyway adapted to music post civil war. , so it isn't any wonder most bands have sub par drumming to deal with.

I was in a band some years ago with a good (not great, but good) drummer who said:

"Everybody plays drums and a few of them actually know how."

I think the same thing can be said about pretty much every instrument in the band - especially bass - but it's particularly apropos for drums. Anyone can sit down and start banging on the skins. That doesn't make them a drummer. It doesn't even make them a potential drummer. It just makes them a person with drumsticks in their hands sitting in front of drums.
#284904 by aiki_mcr
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:55 pm
So, because of past experience in dealing with people like this, I chose to talk to him through email. Phone calls and face-to-face always turn into shouting matches (unproductive shouting matches) with guys like this and the important stuff doesn't get said.

We'll see how this goes.
#284910 by Cajundaddy
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:33 pm
Not quite sure why you want to chat with this guy at all as it seems he doesn't much care what you think. I would handle it between the other dedicated players and make a decision. If he is voted off the island then the leader can just let him know the band is moving in a different direction and he is free to pursue other interests.

Getting in a pissing match with a band mate who doesn't care seems like a waste of positive energy and could seep into other band members. You can't fix this train wreck:

"He's also a raging jerk. A monumentally unpleasant personality. He doesn't listen to me, he doesn't listen to anyone in the band. He regularly insults other people in the band. He thinks he's being funny. He isn't funny.

So, I'm frustrated. It's difficult for me to even talk to the guy. And that's when he's sober. Which he mostly isn't.

We played a gig a few weeks ago at a place that only had a beer and wine license. He brought in a bottle of whiskey in one of his equipment bags. He drank most of the bottle over the three hours we were playing. And got louder and sloppier the more he drank. And more aggressively nasty toward everyone."
Last edited by Cajundaddy on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#284945 by aiki_mcr
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:28 pm
yod wrote:I don't understand what talking will do?

It won't fix his meter. Kick him to the curb

Sadly, it's not my decision to make. Honestly, if it were, I wouldn't have started this topic. Because the obvious thing to do is replace him.

The bandleader asked me to talk to him and try to work things out. I get his motivation (drummers are hard to find and this is the third drummer since I've joined the band, fifth or sixth before that), but I think it's misguided.