This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#283939 by J-HALEY
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:21 pm
Planetguy wrote:sounding good on that tele, jeff! 8)

Thanks Mark. One thing about playing with this band is they don't use a setlist. You really have to be on your toes and paying attention. You WILL be playing songs you don't know and have never played on stage in front of a crowd. I love that Tele!
#283940 by Planetguy
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:38 pm
J-HALEY wrote:
Planetguy wrote:sounding good on that tele, jeff! 8)

Thanks Mark. One thing about playing with this band is they don't use a setlist. You really have to be on your toes and paying attention. You WILL be playing songs you don't know and have never played on stage in front of a crowd. I love that Tele!

yep, that's EXACTLY how it goes with THE 121's (country music house band gig i've been doing three wkends a month for the last five yrs). We've had one prct in all that time. No set list...we just call 'em off by what the crowd is responding to. And we try to play everyone's requests... so, if only one guy in the band knows the song....we play it and the rest just fly by the seat of our pants and make it work.

I really prefer playing w/o a setlist....that's how Planet Jazz does it as well.
#283942 by J-HALEY
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 pm
The only problem I have with playing without a setlist is too much time in between songs is usually the result.
I ask the leader what song are we starting off with tonight, his reply is “the first one” I quit asking. :lol:
#283946 by Planetguy
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:18 pm
"the first one"...that's good! :lol:

that's usually the only time that we're standing around w our thumbs up you know where..."what do you wanna start with????" after that we're pretty rapid fire and keep people where they are....on the dance floor. as one song's winding down, we're all thinking about what's next, and then someone just calls out the next one and off we go w little to no down time.

i'm a pretty spontaneous guy (no surprise that i enjoy playing jazz, eh?) and i really like that "being in the moment" mindfullness that playing w/o a set list requires.
#283957 by MikeTalbot
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 am
Get it done Johnny Reb! That Tele was getting it done.

I found in my excursions into country that I was totally hopeless on lead guitar. Don't know why. But what the heck, I'm mostly a bass player!

I do remember the 'not having a setlist' thing when I played bass with Billy Carroll and the Countrymen - Billy would whisper in my ear, "Mike, this one's in D!" That never came as much of a surprise! 8)

Talbot