This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#283874 by andrew1196374
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 am
Several years ago at my church the worship leader had a flooded garage and he couldn't get to church service to lead worship that Sunday morning. I attempted to lead worship that Sunday morning at the church. The music of choice was metalcore. The question I have is does God like metal in his church. I know that God has given me a gift in music but is the genre of music an issue that will affect the church service and God's purpose for his family.
#283889 by schmedidiah
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:14 pm
I can't speak to the theological component of your question, but I did go to some "Metal Church" services and shows at the behest of an older classmate in my high school guitar class. he was, of course, trying to convert me and I watched some videos and listened to some compilation tapes they were distributing around their community at the time.

I found the church service to be pretty good, especially compared to my grandfather's over the top funeral services in Amarillo, TX. located in a strip mall in a n industrial area. Good mix of extremely heavy heavy metal and a sermon. a good mix of young and old folks. felt like a tight community.

The concert I attended was my first exposure to bands playing in the style of Testament or even Slayer. I was a Metallica guy at the time, so I was impressed.

in the end, I walked away from that scene after a month or so, but I was glad I checked it out. still an atheist. still rockin.
#283893 by Planetguy
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:18 pm
andrew1196374 wrote:Several years ago at my church the worship leader had a flooded garage and he couldn't get to church service to lead worship that Sunday morning. I attempted to lead worship that Sunday morning at the church. The music of choice was metalcore. The question I have is does God like metal in his church. I know that God has given me a gift in music but is the genre of music an issue that will affect the church service and God's purpose for his family.

another atheist here. and one who's not a metal fan to boot.

i am curious, though.....why do you believe god might have a problem w any type of music if it exalts his name and deeds?

as to being a turnoff to other members of your congregation....well, i could certainly see that as a possibility.

and welcome to the Bandmix Forum. hope you stick around to discuss this and other music matters further. 8)
#283896 by MikeTalbot
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm
I play in a Christian band at a Lutheran Church. I'm a metal head myself but I strongly suggest you leave the metal at home. That music is about you and the object of playing in church is to edify the congregation and glorify God.

I'll confess I don't always personally like some of the stuff we play although I enjoy the professionalism of the other players. But what has really surprised me is the congregation gets a lot out of it, and that in the end, means a lot to me.

Note - if your congregation are all metal heads just ignore my advice! 8)

Talbot
#283945 by Strings N Hammers
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 pm
This type of reasoning was used against blues and rock being played in church 50 years ago. Nowadays those music genres don't seem as edgy and they were mostly singing love songs anyways.

I don't think playing an instrument in a certain style is either "good or bad." How can notes be "bad?" The question should be what is the message being communicated in the song? Does it promote satanism (very little metal actually does) or does it appeal to our better natures?
#283956 by MikeTalbot
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 am
Zenith

It's not about Satanism (usually) but about the congregation. In a church band your music should support the faith and coordinate with the worship committee. People rarely go to church to hear a blues or rock band. You can get that anywhere.

I'd be most unhappy if I thought people were coming to church to hear our band. It's not about us. The music we play is often coordinated with the church year / calendar, the pastor's message and so on. It's a package deal to provide the best possible worship experience.

Then I might go home afterwards and crank up the Marshal and plug in the Firebird, never can tell.

Talbot
#284068 by Vampier
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Very cool Posts from everyone. My compliments to everyone.
#284089 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:06 am
Vampier wrote:Very cool Posts from everyone. My compliments to everyone.

I have to agree with him. Even though he doesn't have a pet piggy, :lol:
#284107 by Vampier
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 pm
I can not afford a pig as I have 12 Dogs, 1 Turtle, 4 Fish, 7 cats, 2 Doves and a sexy Young wife with a "large" appetite which keeps me rather occupied.
#284110 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:52 pm
5 golden rings.... What, are you singing a Christmas song with different characters?

Is your next book going to about animals going 2 by 2?

Smiling. Just having fun. Piggy is OK, but , we are have PORK CHOPS. Soaked in a secret sauce of chicken soup, mushroom soup, a pinch of wine,and the secret weapon ... mushrooms. Very simple recipe but when you let all this slow simmer for hours....
Really GOOD. Slap the whole mess on some egg noodles... Better than fighting with Planet Guy.

Smile.
#284122 by Vampier
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:47 am
Sounds yummy. I have always preferred animals over humans ... both for companie and to eat. The "Wild Rude" as Lector prefers to call them ... is quite frankly unappealing to me. Regarding the "Two by Two" ... quite possibly excepting there will be no Ark only a Circus Tent.
#284144 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:27 pm
I know I couldn't eat people. But I have heard dog makes a good meal.
Now to really gross you out ... My favorite chinese ,fast food place is called the "CATS.MEOW" I guess lower overhead helps.
:roll:
#284151 by MikeTalbot
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am
Glen

My cat Felicia is offended by your comment. i gave her a sausage to calm her down. 8)

Talbot