This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#286559 by Planetguy
Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:ya know, I have to apologize to planetguy, I finally figured out the tune-tech clip on tuner I was jusing was faulty..first Faron mentioned it when we were jamming, he said previous time we had jammed my tuner was sharp..thought maybe he was just talking..but then a week or two ago I find a couple online tuner sites one being Fender site and the other can't recall the name but both were spot on alike and my tuner was nowhere close to same frequency for 440A.. so I bought a Fender California type clip on tuner and it is correct..it was on sale for 9.99 free shipping at musicians friend..it does not power up unless clipped on which is a nice feature cause the tune -tech was easy to accidentally bump it on and then run down the battery without knowing it that happened 3 times ..3 times had to replace CR2032 batteries :|

dane....when i and others tried to point out your gtr was out of tune on recordings you were sharing...it was not referring to your gtr being tuned to A-339 or A-444......it was instead simply that your gtr was out of tune w itself. capice?
#286562 by DainNobody
Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 pm
Maybe the tune-tech was giving erroneous readings for all the string freq.? I just checked the 440 A 5th string..that was enough to let me know the tuner as s bad..it was given to me free
.let's say we pounce on Glen and then call it a day? Lol
#286564 by MikeTalbot
Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 pm
Dane

That was well said. I will confess I've even been wrong on occasion! And given my hearing these days i better hope my tuners are working right! :)

Cheers
Talbot
#286573 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 21, 2018 12:10 pm
Just so you know... electronic tuners are ok to use for live work, and tuning in noisy environments. But unless you've got a fan fret guitar neck, you still need to 'sweeten' the tuning after using the electronic tuner. If, after tuning with the electronic tuner, you play an open G major chord, you'll probably find that it sounds ok except both the low and high G's (E strings) are off just a little. So you tweak them, then play a C major and the high C (B string) is a little off, so you tweak that. Then you play an E major, and the E's and B string are off. So tuning is a compromise. But a better guitar with good strings will be easier to come up with an acceptable compromise.
I've never heard of a tuner that had 'bad intonation', i.e. each string was not consistent string-to-string on the tuner. That's typically a badly set-up guitar.
#286579 by J-HALEY
Mon May 21, 2018 2:02 pm
The thing I see guitar players do that makes a guitar sound out of tune even though they used a tuner, especially guitar players that play mostly acoustic then switch to an electric is they pull the strings slightly when playing chords. Electric guitars typically have lighter gauge strings and don't need as much force to fret a chord.
#286588 by Ancient Vegan
Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm
Your ears can be trained to pitch, and should, if you want to be a bigtime player.
If you can't hear that your out of tune, it's a safe bet, you can't tell when your in
tune either. Many ears training SIGHTS out there.
#286590 by Planetguy
Mon May 21, 2018 5:39 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:Your ears can be trained to pitch, and should, if you want to be a bigtime player.

dude...my ears have a wicked fastball, but my secret weapon remains the slider my left ear throws. everybody knows that nobody can hit off a left eared pitcher...... damn, good thing too, since my throwing arm has gone into the crapper.

wish me luck for my upcoming tryout w the cards.
#286603 by Ancient Vegan
Mon May 21, 2018 8:19 pm
Go Cards

Get Well PG
#286606 by Planetguy
Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 pm
thanks.

that's exactly my plan. i remain cautiously optimistic about my recovery.