This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#283563 by Planetguy
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm
if you promise to tune up schmed, you have my seal of approval! :wink:

DP, tell the truth....are you big enough for the rides at Disney? they have strict guidelines there!

do you have a recording of that tune you can send my way? i'd love to check it out and see what damage i can do and how i might be able to mangle it. 8)
#283585 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:21 am
Planetguy wrote:if you promise to tune up schmed, you have my seal of approval! :wink:

DP, tell the truth....are you big enough for the rides at Disney? they have strict guidelines there!

do you have a recording of that tune you can send my way? i'd love to check it out and see what damage i can do and how i might be able to mangle it. 8)

I knew you had a a sense of humor.
#283605 by Displaced Pianist
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm
Planetguy wrote:DP, tell the truth....are you big enough for the rides at Disney? they have strict guidelines there!

I was tall enough--albeit not by much--but they did seem to have an issue w/ hair; apparently I had too much of it. Alas, I've since pulled a Jook and whacked off my tail. I feel so...naked.

Planetguy wrote:do you have a recording of that tune you can send my way? i'd love to check it out and see what damage i can do and how i might be able to mangle it. 8)

Haven't recorded it yet, but do play it every time I sit down @ the piano. Even played it @ piano bar a few times; it seems like a good 'cry-in-your-gin-and-tonic' tune (one gal even asked me, "what was that?"). Wasn't thinking of that at the time; it just seemed like an unusual progression. Didn't even write it down--odd for me--but it started as Ebm - Abm - Db (twice), then Gb - B - Abm - Bb w/ an aeolian-type melody on top. Kinda gloomy.

I'll pull out the Korg and set it up to record tracks sometime in the next week or so. 'Bout time I did that.
#283607 by Planetguy
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 pm
alright...new rule....no one talking about themselves is allowed to use the word "naked".

agreed?

hey, take your time (but not too long) to get that recording together. color me intrigued.

in the meanwhile, when you get a moment... how about sharing that progression, but this time with "bar lines" to see show us how the timing works for each chord.

i'm all for the pass-around thing.....but another thing we might do instead, or in addition... is for whoever wants in..... takes your progression and does their own thing w it.

we've done that in the past..... my Em7/ Bbmaj7 bit comes to mind. Mike and Jook came up w some really cool, and different takes on it.
#283608 by Planetguy
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:19 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:I'm with Talbot way to many big strings for me
Looks like they'd hurt my fingers
24 fret neck? Do you use that upper register much?
I know with a guitar it's cool to have those couple extra frets down there
to play around in, but the job can still be done with 22 frets

I'm a pretty good bass player but only with 4 strings
Anymore I'm trying to develop my left hand on the piano
And the right hand too

Lynard, please don't think i was ignoring you.

and look! i've quoted your WHOLE post here so you don't have to have to get testy about me "cherrypicking" or "plagiarizing"(?) what you had to say! :D

like everyone here who's ever picked up a bass....i came up playing four string basses. but then we started hearing all that low stuff coming from basses w a low B string....and from keyboardists (playing bass lines) who would get down below the low "E" of a 4 string.

I knew it'd be an adjustment both physically and mentally getting my hands and my brain around a 5 string so i figured ...."what the hey, I might as well just go all the way to six string". it wasn't too much of an adjustment and i learned right quick that "the money" was on the low "B" string and much less so on the high "C" string.

I do use the high C string as it gives me the option of playing ACROSS the fingerboard in one position as opposed to climbing up the neck to find the same notes on a lower string.

and as we all know .... you can find and play the same pitch in several spots at different frets on different strings.....and they all sound a little different tone wise. suck on THAT keyboardists! :D

as an example...on a four string bass, the open G string's pitch can be found again higher up the neck on the other three strings as well, and they all sound different because of the physics involved....

an open G string = a long skinny string and very clear, "less bassy" tone.
and as you move to the fatter strings, each time w a shorter "speaking length" the pitch becomes fatter/warmer. aha! choices!

so, that's one of the nice things about having that high "C" string".....though you can find a lot of it's same pitches on the "g" string further up the neck....because of it's longer "speaking length"on a skinnier string to get the same pitch...it cuts thru a little better. and that's good when you need that.

i didn't buy that bass because it has a two octave 24 fret neck. it just so happened that it does. i DO get up there pretty high on the skinny ones sometimes when i'm soloing and when i'm "trading fours" w a gtrst. do i get up to that high C at the 24th fret? hardly ever.

the other thing that's handy is that when i'm playing three pc, backing up a gtrst, or playing in the sax/drums/bass PJAZZ lineup, i can grab some chords here and there to flesh things out some.

now here's something interesting, or maybe funny.....tho i can get around on a 4 or 6 sting bass....i'm absolutely a goofball on a five string!

i still have my very first bass that i picked up while still in H.S. ......a 1963 PBass that i snagged in a NYC pawn shop for $75 back in the early '70's.

it's the best playing bass i've ever laid hands on. hands down. i run light gauge .040 - .095 flatwounds on it with very low action.

unfortunately ( or fortunately for you and everyone else) i don't have any video of me playing the Washburn but if you're curious about that old PBass....and have some time to waste, you can check this out as it comes fairly close to representing what that old girl sounds like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEVx76CjgY&t=526s
#283609 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm
That bass player was pretty good on that video

Had a good sound
#283614 by Planetguy
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:36 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:That bass player was pretty good on that video

Had a good sound

he better be....i taught that f~cker everything he knows!
#283616 by schmedidiah
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:42 pm
My Em/ Bb contribution is on my profile but it's not a very good take. :mrgreen:
#283617 by Planetguy
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 pm
schmedidiah wrote:My Em/ Bb contribution is on my profile but it's not a very good take. :mrgreen:

yeah, didn't mean to leave you out schmed! as i recall it was video of you plunking away on an acoustic (nylon string?) in your backyard?
#283621 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:40 pm
You know I'd watched a video you put up awhile back, and I wasn't impressed, but utube gave me another
chance to hear you doing "Rainy Nights", still don't know if I would have hired you.

After watching this last video, I'd be saying you think he'll join us, he's pretty good. :wink:
#283622 by Planetguy
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:43 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:You know I'd watched a video you put up awhile back, and I wasn't impressed, but utube gave me another
chance to hear you doing "Rainy Nights", still don't know if I would have hired you.

After watching this last video, I'd be saying you think he'll join us, he's pretty good. :wink:

"Rainy Nights"???? are you sure that was me? ..... cos, i don't know any song by that title, so i'm pretty certain i've never played it! or did you get the title wrong?
#283623 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm
Eddie Rabbit song?

I have slept
#283625 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 pm
Yeah that's the one, you're a good player no doubt

Both videos the stages were so clean, it was cool, I come from a background of fill the stage up,more equip,
more people, more, more, more.........

All day rock n roll shows

I know you've been to some
#283633 by MikeTalbot
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 am
Mark

That video was pretty good, you all rocked. Love the bass.

But dude, shorts? Aren't you supposed to look cool when playing an old Fender? :)

Talbot