This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282829 by Ancient Vegan
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 pm
Hey Planet Guy, I think your opinionated and so am I, but this thread got a good dose of what you can do musically.

I'm not the best guy on here, but I'm better then I use to be.

Mike that CAGED system is good chord practice, but those chord shapes are good to play lead out of, when I first started playing country lead, I didn't know how to scale it, so I played lead out of chord shapes and you can't go wrong.

I'm not as compromising as I use to be, it's something I need to work on.
#282856 by schmedidiah
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:
I've never met another guitarist who uses a G or C chord barred up the neck (I rarely use them). Never tried to use a D Chord barred, but I'll use just the top 3 strings, or top 3 plus the open D and/or A string.

then you don't know punk and/or metal guitarists :lol:
#282872 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:18 pm
schmedidiah wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:
I've never met another guitarist who uses a G or C chord barred up the neck (I rarely use them). Never tried to use a D Chord barred, but I'll use just the top 3 strings, or top 3 plus the open D and/or A string.

then you don't know punk and/or metal guitarists :lol:

Nope, I don't. Not my least favorite genres, but in the bottom 10, for sure.
#282918 by Mordgeld
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 pm
For metal, I get a lot of mileage out of layered inversions between a 7 string and a 6 string guitar. A lot of times just implying the low root or melody makes it clearer and heavier. I love how, when you layer instruments just right, people can continue to hear a melody that you have shifted out of for intro/verse transition because the layer that replaces it is complementary to it. It makes it seem like there are more instruments than there really are especially with mixing clean and over-driven. The project I just recently dropped out of forced too much of the same/same guitar parts on me. The new guitarist I'm working with (thanks to BM this time!) enjoys that I told him that we'd be playing the same thing almost never. If there was only one part, I wouldn't need the other guitarist.
#282937 by MikeTalbot
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 am
lynard

That CAGED system isn't half bad. Two guys I was vainly trying show some six string stuff picked it up much quicker from that.

Talbot
#282952 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:35 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:I assume you mean he is playing inversions rather than 'different chords' (because that would just sound bad!)
It all depends on the song, but having 2 people strum the same chords doesn't do much, or add much to the sound, and there can be annoying phase issues because the strumming doesn't' quite match up.
So sometimes, playing the same chords is ok, but its better to play them differently (one person doing an arpeggio version, for example)

That was a good post MIKE.
#282953 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 am
MikeTalbot wrote:Two guys playing two barre chords sounds muddy and adds nothing. Even open chords, no thanks. Inversions? Sure.

Talbot

Sounds like you are talking about 2 out of tune guitars. YUCK!
2 acoustics playing the exact same thing can actually be beautiful and powerful.. It's called stereo...
But that's from years past. Now we have dynamic expansion created by computer programs, Including any thing from reverb to x-veb.
What's next? Computer created music that has no human imperfections? LOL!
#282957 by Ancient Vegan
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 am
Hey Mike T glad it helped, the chordings can be difficult, but that's what makes good practice.

You know after learning the CAGED system I used it much more playing lead, by playing out of those chord shapes.
#282967 by MikeTalbot
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm
Glen

Give me a break...you might assume that after playing 40 years I can tell when guitars are out of tune. (despite all the damage to my hearing!)

You'll often see acoustic players doing the same thing but usually one capos it so the sound doesn't just go muddy.

Talbot
#282970 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 pm
Mike give me a break...
You have to understand tuning.
Guitars and pianos are tempered instruments. Go back a hundred years when I wasted my time explaining all this.
The first lesson is understanding the instrument someone desires to master.
#283013 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:19 pm
Talbot mentioned it before I could (the OP will probably never come to read this) - one guitarist using a capo is a great (and easy) way for two acoustic guitarists to play 'the same but different'.
#283049 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:43 pm
i've never been a "capo guy" myself, but i do agree that two acoustic gtrs playing out of different chord position/shapes via one gtr being capoed (or two being capoed but at different frets) does make things more interesting.

me....i hate using a capo and losing any part of the neck (the frets below the capo) that you give up! the bluegrass gtrsts and banjo guys i play with are always using capos.
#283050 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:14 pm
I only seem to use a capo when playing in open G
#283071 by MikeTalbot
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm
To my horror I've discovered they have capos for Bass.

I own a guitar capo and I'm sure it's somewhere, after all, everything is somewhere, but I just don't care for it myself...seems like something for acoustic guitars (and Keith Richards who do anything he wants).

Talbot
#283075 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:To my horror I've discovered they have capos for Bass.

I own a guitar capo and I'm sure it's somewhere, after all, everything is somewhere, but I just don't care for it myself...seems like something for acoustic guitars (and Keith Richards who do anything he wants).

Talbot

wow...talk about some training wheels! that would be incredibly embarrassing..... i'm trying to imagine auditoining for a bass gig and whipping out a capo! that'd be worth it just to see the reactions.

you know who else did ok w a capo.....Muddy Waters and Albert Collins (both playing in open tunings)