This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282575 by Planetguy
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:12 pm
Planet Jazz has a busy wk....we're playing tonight (Tues) thru Sat w two gigs on Saturday.

Yesterday i was talking to a musician buddy of mine at the gym, and mentioned that to him and he weighed in that's that waaaaay too much work for him. He prefers maybe two to three gigs a month a month.

Now, I'm not sure I'd want to play 6 gigs in one wk w any of the other groups I play with, but w PJAZZ....that's a real treat.
#282577 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm
Planetguy wrote:
Now, I'm not sure I'd want to play 6 gigs in one wk w any of the other groups I play with, but w PJAZZ....that's a real treat.

...and that's how it should be.

Yea, I got Premiem Bandmix to find musicians. Funny how the good ones don't really want to work.

This is why I tell anyone who will listen that it isn't that hard to be a professional musician. All you have to do is show up and you're ahead of 95% of other musicians, the wanna-be's who think the world owes them something.
#282578 by Planetguy
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:21 pm
quite so.

it's amazing how many times i've been on a good gig.....good money, good music, good band chemistry, good crowd....i'm having the time of my life, and sure as $hit someone in the band is watching the clock and can't wait for the gig to be over, while i'm ready to play more. :shock:
#282590 by MikeTalbot
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 pm
I can say I often felt like a sucker when I'd find I was the one guy pushing it and the rest were in the 'no big deal..' category.

Talbot
#282604 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I can say I often felt like a sucker when I'd find I was the one guy pushing it and the rest were in the 'no big deal..' category.

Talbot

Been there. It sucks.
#282616 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm
6 nites a week? I wouldn't even want to do that if I was playing for the Stones. I think older guys like ourselves have many other interests, besides music, ie.... family, job, sports, etc....
#282631 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:40 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:6 nites a week? I wouldn't even want to do that if I was playing for the Stones. I think older guys like ourselves have many other interests, besides music, ie.... family, job, sports, etc....

PG's "job" is music! That's what makes a difference for sure.
#282633 by Planetguy
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:01 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Ancient Vegan wrote:6 nites a week? I wouldn't even want to do that if I was playing for the Stones. I think older guys like ourselves have many other interests, besides music, ie.... family, job, sports, etc....

PG's "job" is music! That's what makes a difference for sure.

quite right, mike. i've been doing "music" as my full time gig since 2000.

tell ya what... gigging six nts this wk, and five next wk, and giving lessons.... i still have time for other interests... like family, playing tennis, racquetball, hoops, hitting the gym, yoga, reading, movies, etc.

think about it....tues, wed, and tonight's gigs...all two hrs. trust me...that leaves PLENTY of time for other interests and pursuits. it even leaves time to dick around here on BM! 8)
#282640 by Planetguy
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 pm
right now, i'm thinking that gigging this much doesn't take ENOUGH of my time....just came in from 90 min of chainsawing firewood. i mean....who DOESN'T enjoy cutting wood before a gig???

luckily my van is loaded from last night. new venue for us tonight at a local microbrewery. mmmmm, beeeeeeer. 8)
#282641 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm
Cool PG. On top of that you may have helped explain the Age old jazz expression of going out to the wood shed.
It can be explained so many ways... Funny you should bring that cutting wood up.
Just a thought... Don't even know if that expression is even still around.
#282648 by J-HALEY
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Cool PG. On top of that you may have helped explain the Age old jazz expression of going out to the wood shed.
It can be explained so many ways... Funny you should bring that cutting wood up.
Just a thought... Don't even know if that expression is even still around.

It is still around Glen. I use it everytime I join a new band. Time to hit the woodshed or I'll need to woodshed for a week. :D