This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282719 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:15 pm
thought i'd share something that was kind of funny....

Saturday PJAZZ finished up our run of six gigs in five days with an afternoon 2-5 gig, then a later 8-11 gig. Good news is we made it thru the week still talking to one another and still friends! but, apparently we were a little mentally tired for that last gig.

second song into the gig one of us called "Get On The Soul Ship" by The Crusaders. we played a cpl more tunes.... and then i called the song AGAIN forgetting that we had just played it only two songs earlier! so, not only had I spaced that but neither of my two bandmates caught it either! :lol:

we started up the tune which begins w a one/four vamp.... G7/C7 that keeps repeating until the head (melody) starts up. The A section keeps that same one/four vamp happening. we count it off, and we're vamping along on the intro when my brain finally kicks in, and i turn to my bandmates....."hey, we just PLAYED THIS, NO???!!!!"

we all started cracking up.... i gave them a reassuring smile and nod of the head and launched into the melody of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" which has a similar one/four chord progression (in the key of "C" instead of "Soul Ship's" key of "G") on the A section and none of the crowd was any wiser.

interesting sidenote: it's always amazing to me how different a song can sound when you play it in a key different than the one you're used to. the A section of "Mercy..." sounded...well..."different" in the key of "G", but oh man....when we hit the B section in that key....WEIRD!!!!