This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282536 by DainNobody
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:50 pm
I think Imma gonna pass now that I know there is not a PA at the club..even an open Mic night should have at least one of those 200 dollar 4 channel self powered Behringer PAs
#282568 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 pm
What kind of 'club'? Is it an open mic? I've read of a couple of places that are completely acoustic, but they are typically 'in the round' kind of events. not playing on a stage or out to a room that's listening.
#282569 by DainNobody
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:43 pm
American Legion

1142 W Broadway St, Bolivar, MO 65613
(417) 326-5616

https://g.co/kgs/wzAytp
#282570 by DainNobody
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:48 pm
I was asked to come play or pick.. Not preferable to pick solo although I could but Faron said he would do it as a duo..no pay but maybe could work into that.but have not accepted nice to have been asked. But without a PA? Don't know that would work
#282587 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 pm
Once you play for free (or 'cheap') , they never want to pay you.
Assume there's a bar, and you'd be playing in that room, competing with the pool tables, tvs and general talk. Gotta have amps!
#282588 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm
Rent a pa system
#282603 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:Rent a pa system

Only if they're going to pay you!
#282607 by DainNobody
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:37 pm
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... pa40bt-pro. Want this but Faron my duo partner has no money to go 1/2sies
Last edited by DainNobody on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#282609 by DainNobody
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:05 pm
and since the Behringer rig is battery powered we could do busking at swap meet with no problems..Butch has wanted us to turn it up.. but you can only do so much with an un-amplified acoustic flat top guitar(Faron).. and me, with an electric guitar with VOX MINI-3 battery powered amp also.. :)
#282611 by DainNobody
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:15 pm
this looks nice..but not battery powered
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger/M ... peakers.gc
#282615 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm
It seems obvious to me, you want to play out, you've identified one of the obstacles, no pa system. Get a pa system and you can move on to the next problem that is holding you back from your goal of playing out.

And Mike says never play for free, I say everytime I've played in a church (been 7 or 8 years ago), I always payed them when I played. If you wanta play for free that's your decision, you can always pass the hat. :)
#282620 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm
The only times you should play in a commercial venue for free are benefits, or for a charitable place.
#282621 by DainNobody
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm
ohhhh..but now we are getting into another problem concerning money gig..s pro setups, etc. an age old problem that left a bad taste in my mouth back in the 1980's in Florida when I did get paid gigs every weekend.. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EQUIPMENT COSTS AND UPKEEP/MAINTENANCE? ..is it up to me to flip the bill? am I the one that is responsible to purchase the needed gear? or should all the band members (2 ea.) divvy up the cost? :)
#282629 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 pm
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:ohhhh..but now we are getting into another problem concerning money gig..s pro setups, etc. an age old problem that left a bad taste in my mouth back in the 1980's in Florida when I did get paid gigs every weekend.. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EQUIPMENT COSTS AND UPKEEP/MAINTENANCE? ..is it up to me to flip the bill? am I the one that is responsible to purchase the needed gear? or should all the band members (2 ea.) divvy up the cost? :)

Dayne - there's no set answer for that. It has to be discussed with the other band members. Typically, going into a new band situation, one person has THIS equipment and one person has THAT equipment. So if THIS breaks, does the owner of the gear foot the whole bill? If the band pays to fix it, then doesn't the band own part of it now? If the band buys some gear with earnings (or everyone kicking in), what happens when the band breaks up, or one person leaves? All these permutations need to be worked out up front.

On a different note - regarding battery-operated amps/PAs: there are a lot of choices now, what works for you depends on 1) how many instruments/mics need to be plugged in at one time; 2) how much volume is needed.
I picked up a Mugig amp form Amazon for $99. Rechargable Lithium battery, mic and instrument inputs, little 6" speaker. It's not loud, but it's louder than no amplification. Came with a shoulder strap and the battery (some portable amps make you pay for the battery pack separately). It'll be good for busking, better if I can find a headset mic to use instead of having to haul a mic stand around.