This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282410 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 pm
How long do you as a performing musician plan to play in a band and/or live events? I'm getting real close to the big 60, and I think it's over for me. I'm tired of hauling all my equipment out and setting it up, then tearing it down, I'm tired of the late nites, I'm even tired of the band dynamic. You know what I mean, "That's not the way Jimmy Page played it" true enuff, but I'm not Jimmy Page, this is just a tame critique, I've seen it get a lot worse, and probably a lot of times coming from me. So I think I'm going to hang it up this year, the only real enjoyment I get it seems is when I sit down at the piano by myself and just bang the keys to what I want the way I want. Do some of you older guys plan on playing out to the end? Does this make me less of a musician? What do you do with 50 thousand dollars in equipment shoved in every room and garage in your house? There's a lot of questions to contemplate, I'm sure there's a lot I haven't even thought up yet. How do you guys young and old feel about this? :?:
#282411 by DainNobody
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 pm
I and Faron are just getting started..I M 62..Look at Jeff Beck he's older and still has a full schedule..he's a vegan maybe that's why he has a fountain of youthfulness at his disposal?
#282412 by DainNobody
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 pm
I and Faron are just getting started..I M 62..Look at Jeff Beck he's older and still has a full schedule..he's a vegan maybe that's why he has a fountain of youthfulness at his disposal?
#282413 by DainNobody
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 pm
Maybe you are thinking too big? If you are tired of lugging equipment then hire it done..if you go duo them a 18 LB. Behringer self powered PA that sits on a pole is enough.. That should be easy on the old body :(
#282414 by DainNobody
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm
Have no idea why it double posted?
#282415 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:45 pm
Dane, I admire the fire I see in you when talking about playing, you surely see the lack of it in me when talking. I'm in pretty fine shape, so I know I could do it, but all I've really ever played in our bars or late nite functions. Today I would rather get up and run at 3 am in the morning then just pulling into the house. You know 7 or 8 years ago I was thinking to big(but that led me to playing one of the biggest venues in Springfield, the Shrine Mosque), but not today. I haven't seen any jobs (even the Mosque gigs) that paid enuff to hire somebody to haul the equipment, it's usually me that has to load and unload cause all the other old guys in the band are to tired, sick, sore, drunk, high or many other excuses to not help load or unload(that could be a whole other thread). I can't see buying another pa, I've gotta alittle 1000 watt Yamaha system, a Kustom system, a Peavey system, then I've got my giant Mackie system with 2 powered mains (heavy), 3 powered subs (at least there on wheels), 4 powered monitors, to roll around racks with compressors, power conditioners, Reverb effects processors, 1/4 patch bay, xlr patch bay, Aural exciter, a 220 watt power converter to run the board a snake, graphic equalizer, feedback destroyer, a smaller board to send signal to my recorder, the big board, then you've got cords (xlr, 1/4 inch, extension cords, etc...) stands and tables, mikes and stands. Then you've got lites, backdrops it takes a lot to pull off a big show in front of say a 1000 people, then they wabt to pay you 6 or 7 hundred dollars. You see what I'm saying.
#282416 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 pm
I plan on playing out til I get covered w dirt.

I still have a blast playing out, make decent bread, enjoy the company, musical comraderie, laughs, and musical high jinx i share w bandmates.

I'm lucky there's no backbiting, or bitching and there are no goldbricks in ANY of the groups I play with. Everyone puts their shoulder to it and does their share.

And at 62, because I eat right, exercise, play sports regularly....I'm in good shape (and plan on staying in good shape) ... so, while moving/setting up/ breaking down equip isn't my favorite thing to do... neither is it something that's gonna keep me from doing something I love...gigging regularly.

I'd never consider you or anyone less of a musician because they chose not to gig anymore. You should do what makes you happy and not do what doesn't make you happy. Life is too short to waste time, and anything that's not paying off rewards and dividends like satisfaction, enjoyment, moolah that jives w time/effort expanded is best left alone.
#282418 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:04 am
Sounds like you aren't really planning to quit playing music, you're just tired of hauling all that gear around without being paid for it.

So stop it already.

I'm sort of in that same mode now. I've still got opportunity, but it will take more incentive to leave home. After 17 straight years of 150 - 200 concerts a year, I've got nothing left to prove and enough money to sit on the porch and drink coffee to the sound of birds all day.

But neither you nor I are finished playing by a long shot. Some things will just be different in the future.
#282423 by MikeTalbot
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:40 am
I'd planned on playing until the reaper showed up but ill health has sidelined me, I hope temporarily. But yeah, my amps seemed to be bolted to the floor these days and I find myself spending more time at my piano than anything else.

I've sworn to get Biblical on the next person that talks that sh*t about 'Golden Years.' 8)

Talbot
#282427 by J-HALEY
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:51 pm
I plan on playing gigs until I am at least 65 maybe longer I am 59 now. The lead singer in the country band I play in is 62 and his voice is still rich and very strong.
#282431 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:33 pm
Geez, Lynrd, you're the young guy in this crowd (except for Haley)! I turn 62 this year. yeah, hauling around big-ass equipment sucks and isn't needed any more. If you're playing places big enough for your largest PA system, they should be providing a house PA system and lights, or your band should be getting at least $1500 (enough to pay a couple of guys to move/set up the gear, plus money for the players).
So .... time to downsize! One of the guys I play with now didn't want to keep hauling around all the gear either, which is why he decided on a low volume 'mostly acoustic' act. (The 3rd guy still plays in a band that has all the equipment to move around, too).
So for our trio, it's a short gear list, set up is less than 20 minutes:
PA: powered mixer; 2 speaker stands with 10" non-powered speakers; 4 mics.
Me: combo bass amp, guitar pedal board, 2 guitars and bass
Singer: keyboard and cajon
Guitarist: 1 guitar and pedalboard
Are we making $6-700 a gig? No, but we're not staggering home at 3am after load-out and moving gear back to the practice room either. Our 'latest' gig is coming up at the end of February - playing until 11:30, so that'll be a 1am night for me as it's an hour away from home. We won't be doing that one too often, and can hopefully get them to start/end earlier, like we did another place, where we ended at 10:30 last time.
#282434 by Displaced Pianist
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:18 pm
Good points all. I'm 'bout to hit 63, and effectively have given it up, altho I still do the occasional piano-bar gig...as long as I don't need to haul anything other than my music and azz. In that context, I generally work cheap and have been known to accept less in exchange for some good grub. As a pianist, I always have the heftiest stuff to haul--aside from a PA--and no one ever seems ready to pitch in, even knowing I'm disabled. And while maybe they're paying some good jack up Mike's way, it ain't like that in my 'hood. Taken as a whole, I'm more inclined to pack it in. I'm not rich, but if I never did another paid gig, my standard of living wouldn't change a whit bit.

I remember something Dave Barry said, years ago. He had written a humor piece on sex for some women's magazine, and he commented that it seemed like such a strange way to make $800, he took the money and bought a Les Paul.

At the same time, there's a lot to what P-Guy notes. Given his situation, I'd likely see it differently. For the most part, those are guys he's been working w/ for many years, and the musical camaraderie and enjoyment factor can't be dismissed. It's a lot like what retired NFL players say when asked what they miss the most: the guys in the locker room. Put me w/ a group of folks who have similar musical tastes and a desire to hone a great sound, I'd haul my furniture to be a part of it. But that just ain't happenin' round my parts.

Like everyone here, I'll still play until they toss copious amounts of dirt over me. And I'll look into whether they can bury me w/ my Roland. But haulin' my rig to play what--and how--someone else wants? Meh...
#282435 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:40 pm
Appreciate all the response. You go Planet Guy more power to you, if you play down this way or I'm up your way I'll come give a listen. Good Luck sounds like you're riding in a sweet spot, it's been a long time since I've been there. Mr Yod I know you're right, but I'd like to clean my big video room out so you can walk in there, currently it's jammed with equipment.(I've got a problem, I can't stop buying anything music related whether it's instruments or equipment and the best stuff I keep). I'm gonna stop, my favorite band to play in these days is my Grandson's band, I don't know what those 14 yr old boys are playing, I just stand there and play lead against it with lots of pauses so they can shine. They think I'm Clapton and are so positive with each other, it's nice to see that fire of youth, but I told them I'm not playing out with them anywhere. Yod if I play anywhere it'll be in church, better dressed and better behaved crowd, and it's been my experience better equipment. Talbot sorry to hear of your ill health, hope and pray you'll get better(eat right and exercise). Isn't the piano wonderful I've been playing about 10 yrs now(before that I thought only guitar players mattered), I'd love to sell all the equipment I've got and buy a 9 ft Bluthner, but everything I've got wouldn't make for a decent down payment on one. I've thought about something I've heard you say or imply that your doing some writing(not lyrics), as you can tell I'm a little wordy.
Jeff I would pick you as the one to go on gigging with bands forever. I think we both have the same definition of bands, at least a singer, bass, guitar and drums with a large sound system. To me rock and roll was meant to be played very loud. Thanks GuitarMike, I feel young, and your right we should get paid, but what we should and what we do are 2 different things. I like the idea of a low volume acoustic act, but all I know are large and loud rock and roll bands. Good Luck to you. Displaced pianist, I sure hope your not that piano player from western Canada, I ripped him apart I think worse than anyone I ever attacked on this forum. If it is I'm really sorry for my past behavior. Anyway the piano bar gig sounds cool, I don't think we have any around here, this is honky tonk country. I played piano in the last rock band(besides family) that I was in, but seems they only wanted Jerry Lee Lewis licks, wild noises from the sysnthesizer, or tunes in the Let It Be vein. Piano players do have a lot of equipment to haul, at the very least I'd need my 88 keys, and a synthesizer, and a little pa to powerem up. I see what your saying about Planet Guys set up, he's lucky(I firmly believe we make our own luck). I played in a big band in the 80s and have always strived to reach that level that we maintained for 5 years at least. We've all never got back together, and none of the other groups after that had the same level of commitment to reach the heights(I'm talking paycheck and band first mentality) that that group from the 80s achieved. I went to the lead singers funeral(from that 80s group) earlier this month, it's just me and the drummer left now. At the funeral the drummer said he's ready to go again, and he's a hell of a drummer and me and him have played inat least 10 or 15 bands together, but I saw him at the funeral and he weighed probably 90 lbs, I asked him if he was on the sh*t and he said always, and I just can't have that in my life anymore.......... I'm kinda wordy but I can't stop typing :oops:
#282436 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
I'm new to this forum(its been awhile anyhow), I see displaced pianist your from FLA, one day I'll master the art of writing in this forum. lol :D