This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281835 by Planetguy
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 pm
...that no one ever says " he who has the most mandolins wins"????

what's up with that?

#281838 by schmedidiah
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:53 pm
MANDOBIRD!!!

#281841 by Planetguy
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:35 pm
rhythmark wrote:I thought it was mallets?

that's "runner up" prize! besides, i'd have to bust out the rest of 'em. :wink:

schmed...just remember it's gotta be a double course instrument or it AIN'T a mando (in my book).
#281845 by Planetguy
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:20 pm
thanks, ted. too small to be referred to as axes....i do have a lot of hatchets!
#281846 by MikeTalbot
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:41 pm
It took Marty Stuart and Cherryholmes to convince me that mandolins mattered. I'm convinced.

happy new year

Michael
#281861 by Planetguy
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:15 pm
you say YAhoo and I say yaHOO.

this is a four string mandolin

not to be confused with a four string ukelele.

or a four string tenor banjo. Image

or a four string tenor guitar.

or....well, you get the idea. :wink:

thanks for stopping by!
#281862 by schmedidiah
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm
um....you saw my picture, right? of the 8 string, 4 course Mandobird? :roll:

:mrgreen:
#281863 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 pm
Speaking of 4 string guitars.....

I had taken off since August 21, rarely leave the woods around my cabin, but I had a conference in Orlando Dec 16, then my agent booked 5 concerts in 6 days across Arkansas and Oklahoma for my trip back to Texas to see family.

Anyway, I packed up everything for Orlando into my truck. It had been a long time since I played so I was careful to go through all my product and get it organized with promotional materials for the merch table....took all day. Then I decided to rehearse one more time before leaving and took off. About 3 hours into the drive I realized that I'd left my guitar sitting on the stand in my room.

So I went shopping in Jacksonville, then Daytona, then Orlando before settling on a new Taylor. It's a $700 model but it sounds great. So I took it on the airplane with me to Texas and last night in Oklahoma City I broke a string onstage only to realize that my spare set was not in the case (though I'm sure I brought some). So played for another 25 minutes on 5 strings....and then broke another. I actually played 2 more songs before giving up. Luckily I play this place every year and they were quite understanding...and I was rewarded handsomely for failure anyway, but that's the worst gig I've had in a decade from my perspective.

A uke is tuned differently than a mandolin, btw.

#281868 by schmedidiah
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:28 pm
yod wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:MANDOBIRD!!!

that rocks.

Is it yours?

no. saw it in Bizarre Guitar here in PHX and thought it was hideous and of course within 24 hours I wanted one desperately but held off because i'm just out of funds for frivolous stuff like that. but I am intrigued with the idea of having a solid body mando that's ready to plug into my guitar rig and crank up with fx pedals and stuff. not a fan of mic'ing/ amplifying acoustic instruments.
#281869 by Planetguy
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:42 pm
george1146561 wrote:
Yes, I am aware that you'll waste an inordinate amount of time trying to unsuccessfully "prove" a mistake.

:lol: :lol: :lol: unlike YOURSELF????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: unlike your LAST POST???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're funny. every other post you put up is another excuse for you to throw your weight around to correct someone or something. Everyone else around here has noticed this but you! There's never been ANYONE on this site with an itchier trigger finger, and faster on the draw to whip out their red pen to correct someone than you.

"Did no one teach you the difference between tenors and sopranos? Neither of those instruments are voiced soprano, like a violin would be."

Well, as much as you'd like to CORRECT me for what you deem to be incorrectly named instruments......sorry, it was someone ELSE who named those instruments, not me! Perhaps your time would be better spent searching them out and taking your beef there to CORRECT them! Good luck.

(four string mandolin) "Misnamed by some non-musician in the Marketing Department. "

Not quite. Before you further show your ignorance on this subject, do some research so you might educate yourself about four (and five) string mandolins. They've been around for some time. Just ask Tiny Moore. :wink: