This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281901 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm
george1146561 wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:
george1146561 wrote:
if there were some actual facts about the acoustic bass that I was unaware of.

Spontaneous combustion.

I was aware of that. It's common knowledge. I was looking for information I didn't already know.

What...there's something you DON'T already know????? HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!

And you still think those oversized bastardized acoustic guitars (which btw are tuned in fourths just like the bottom four strings of a regular sized guitar, E A D G) are "acoustic basses"????? :lol:

Wise up. That was just a "marketing ploy" to sell merch! :lol:
#281906 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:45 pm
I never said "acoustic bass" was the "common term" for double bass.

You're always advising others to work on their reading skills.... Perhaps you should as well.
#281907 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:54 pm
george1146561 wrote: All the evidence I have found still indicates that "acoustic bass" is most commonly used to refer to a four stringed acoustic guitar, usually with a piezo pickup, tuned an octave lower than a regular guitar's lowest four strings.

So, why isn' t it called an "acoustic/electric bass"...after all it does have a pickup in it? That IS what you call an acoustic gtr w a p/u in it, no.

I think you need to contact those folks and straighten them out!

Oh, lookie! Another chance for you to CORRECT someone! :lol:
#281913 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm
george1146561 wrote:As to why it isn't called "acostic/electric bass", I am ignorant and apathetic. I don't know and I don't care.

You're the asshole who made the big deal over "acoustic bass" referring to a bull fiddle, because you said so. You're the damn know-it-all. You explain it.

:lol: Yes, you've demonstrated mightily how "apathetic" you are over the CORRECT name of instruments! :lol:

Sooooo, you're "apathetic" AND you're asking me to explain it? Indecisive much?
#281917 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 pm
don't let me stop you from appearing ignorant. please feel free to continue showing your ignorance....by calling an acoustic bass guitar....an "acoustic bass".

...calling a five string mandolin an "itsy bitsy guitar".... hell, knock yourself and call a vibraphone an xylophone (as plenty of people who don't know better do).....and hold your head high.

and at all times keep telling yourself that YOU'RE always the smartest guy in the room (even when you prove yourself not to be).

#281931 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:36 pm
george1146561 wrote:Provide a link to any article that identifies that custom-made, one-of-a-kind five string instrument that Bigsby custom made in which it is clearly identified as a "mandolin", and I will apologize. Otherwise, shut up.

Is there anyting worse than a stubborn, cocksure, and arrogant ignoramus who's too lazy to do some simple research to educate themselves on a subject they clearly know nothing about???? :roll:

Hey, Debating Captain.....if you're interest extended to actually LEARNING something about the subject you want to spout off on instead of just arguing, all you had to do was put in a search for "Tiny Moore five string mandolin" and it brings up plenty of articles about it that describe it as exactly that....a "mandolin".

To shut you up (yeah, if ONLY!), just this one time I'll do the research for you because clearly you're too lazy or too inept to educate yourself on the matter.

In 1952, Texas Playboy Tiny Moore moved away from playing a Gibson EM-150 and obtained a Bigsby mandolin that was electric, a solidbody and sported five strings (all pretty unique elements). That instrument became the genesis for this ’53 Bigsby. “The original owner of this instrument was Glen Tarver,” Wexer says of the mandolin he has for sale.....

source: https://www.fretboardjournal.com/video/case-study-1953-bigsby-electric-mandolin/

and because I'm feeling generous here's one more link.

One of the coolest electric mandolins I've ever seen. Pretty sure I've seen threads on this but first time I've seen the video. From the description: "A rare piece made by the legendary Paul Bigsby. This mandolin was originally built for Glenn Tarver, a California fiddle player. After a decade of limited use, Traver sold the mandolin to his former bandmate, the renowned western swing musician, Tiny Moore. This is the last of 7 Bigsby mandolins that were made."

source: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?125721-1953-5-String-Bigsby-Mandolin

In the future pls do your own research before you go spouting nonsense about topics you know nothing about.

Now, didn't you say something about an apology?
#281938 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:12 pm
george1146561 wrote:
Provide a link to any article that identifies that custom-made, one-of-a-kind five string instrument that Bigsby custom made in which it is clearly identified as a "mandolin", and I will apologize. Otherwise, shut up.

let me guess.....you're busy composing that apology you promised if i showed you one article referring to that inst as a "mandolin"????

well. look at that...the captain of the debating team isn't man enough to make good on his word. :oops:

:lol: let me guess....it's because i provided TWO articles INSTEAD of the ONE you asked for... is that it, you pedantic a$$hole????!!!!! :lol:

Bon Appetit!
#281940 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 pm
:lol: "honor"??? clearly you need to do some "research" and look up the meaning of that word, liar! :lol:

but at least we can agree...yes, you are very "sorry", indeed. as anyone so lacking the balls to make good on what they've promised IS a sorry individual.

george1146561 wrote:
Provide a link to any article that identifies that custom-made, one-of-a-kind five string instrument that Bigsby custom made in which it is clearly identified as a "mandolin", and I will apologize. Otherwise, shut up.

i provided you EXACTLY what you requested.

you offered an apology if i did.

and now, like a sorry, dishonest, and ball-less little girl you want to reneg??? yes, you are indeed MOST sorry.

thanks for showing your true colors and enjoy that crow, "honorable one"!!!!

you are truly clueless. i mock your LACK of honor. your dishonestly. and your inability to man up and admit when you've been proven wrong. i mock your inability to keep your word. wise up....those are not the traits of an "honorable" man. they are the traits of someone unworthy of respect. that's precisely who you've shown yourself to be by not keeping your word.

maybe this will help that lunch go down a little better!