This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281619 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:38 pm
Trilogy has 2 shows coming up - the Eve of Christmas Eve (Dec 23) and the Friday of NYE weekend. We've added two Christmas songs to our set list for the 12/23 show - Please Come Home for Christmas (Eagles version) and Santa Clause is Coming to Town (Springsteen version).
Our other guitarist's other band has shows on 12/30 and 12/31, which is fine with me, I don't really want to be playing until 1am on NYE anyway - I'm lucky if I'm still awake for midnight fireworks on tv!
#281653 by MikeTalbot
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:25 pm
So you'd rather listen to "Rockin' Around the Christmas tree" than "Hark, the Herald Angels sing...

Bait and switch? Yeah us Christians are tricky. Sheesh...

Talbot
#281665 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 pm
I don't know what you mean, one way or the other.

I get so sick of Christmas tunes by the time Christmas happens, that the last thing I want to do is a whole bunch of them. I did the Eagles one at an open mic last week, went over well.
#281705 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:14 pm
Obese Want Canolie wrote:You must play as many secular songs as possible for a Christmas concert. When I go to see a concert advertised as a Christmas show and the band doesn't play any secular songs I fell like I got baited and switched and write the whole band off as being some funky religion such as jewish. Now I know jesus was a jew but most jews want nothing to do with him. The only thing worse that a jew is a jew that is half black. So play secular music or don't call your concerts "Christmas concerts".

I play hannukah songs for Christmas parties.

You seem to be racist against jews and blacks. Have fun with that. Merry Hanukamas.
#281713 by MikeTalbot
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 am
I'm very much a pro confederate southerner and I'll say freely I wish we had won that nasty war. We have not lived under rule of law since then and the constitution is a dead letter. Slavery would have withered and died as it did in civilized countries. Instead, we joined Haiti as a place where mass murder seemed a good solution. Reconstruction led to Jim Crow and so on. Oddly enough, most racial crap happens in the north, we manage to get along down here in Dixie.

Crime? Black people are 13% of the population. But black people do 50% of all violent crime in the US. Don't believe me, check the FBI crime stats. Yet there is a terrible mistake made about those numbers, remember, lies, damn lies and statistics. It's not the 13% who do most of the violent crime - it's a very small percentage of that percentage.

So why does it go on and on? Consider Chicago. Those bangers are shooting each other every day, yet the white power structure which owns the city government and courts, keeps letting the shooters walk, probation, parole, trivial sentences for grisly crimes. Do you think the vast majority of decent black people appreciate that?

Jews? I'm supposed to hate Jews? Why would I? As St. Paul summed it up, they have been entrusted with the very words of God. I often despise their politics but why would I hate the people?

Frankly I'm sick to death of identity politics. A guy asked me once if I hated Mexicans, just because I believe rational countries protect their borders. I simply asked him for names.

"What do you mean, names?"
"You asked me if I hated Mexicans, list the names of the ones you think I hate. Because only a buffoon would hate a whole ethnicity."

That was kind of a conversation stopper.

Merry Christmas.
Talbot
#281718 by J-HALEY
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I'm very much a pro confederate southerner and I'll say freely I wish we had won that nasty war. We have not lived under rule of law since then and the constitution is a dead letter. Slavery would have withered and died as it did in civilized countries. Instead, we joined Haiti as a place where mass murder seemed a good solution. Reconstruction led to Jim Crow and so on. Oddly enough, most racial crap happens in the north, we manage to get along down here in Dixie.

Crime? Black people are 13% of the population. But black people do 50% of all violent crime in the US. Don't believe me, check the FBI crime stats. Yet there is a terrible mistake made about those numbers, remember, lies, damn lies and statistics. It's not the 13% who do most of the violent crime - it's a very small percentage of that percentage.

So why does it go on and on? Consider Chicago. Those bangers are shooting each other every day, yet the white power structure which owns the city government and courts, keeps letting the shooters walk, probation, parole, trivial sentences for grisly crimes. Do you think the vast majority of decent black people appreciate that?

Jews? I'm supposed to hate Jews? Why would I? As St. Paul summed it up, they have been entrusted with the very words of God. I often despise their politics but why would I hate the people?

Frankly I'm sick to death of identity politics. A guy asked me once if I hated Mexicans, just because I believe rational countries protect their borders. I simply asked him for names.

"What do you mean, names?"
"You asked me if I hated Mexicans, list the names of the ones you think I hate. Because only a buffoon would hate a whole ethnicity."

That was kind of a conversation stopper.

Merry Christmas.
Talbot

Very well written Talbot!
#281719 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Derailed thread!

So no one else is playing any shows on the upcoming weekends?
#281731 by MikeTalbot
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 am
Sorry brother.

Our Christmas show was destroyed by a rare Atlanta snowstorm...sigh.

Merry Christmas
Talbot
#281732 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:19 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Derailed thread!

So no one else is playing any shows on the upcoming weekends?

I had mostly taken off (except for local) since the eclipse until now. But my agent needs holiday money.

Orlando, FL (last Saturday)

Next week:
Russellville Arkansas
Lightning Ridge OK
Bartlesville, OK
Oklahoma City for New Year's

I don't really want to leave home again for a while.

Thanks Talbot, that was most excellent.
#281734 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:41 pm
We've got snow coming in right now, but its supposed to warm up enough for some rain tomorrow before moving off. Then more snow predicted for Christmas Day.
(I wasn't dreaming of a white Christmas).
That's one thing I really hate about winter shows in this area - the venue can decide (at the last minute) to cancel, or can make you show up and no audience comes and you're playing to an empty room, and then heading home through piles of snow.
At least tomorrow's show is just a mile from my house! And next Friday's show is about 5 miles (no highway) away. After that, our next show is the end of January, and we've got 2 booked in February.
Right now I'm driving around on bald tires (80,000 miles on them!) because I'm trading in my truck, waiting for the new Subaru to hit the port and get delivered.