This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#280733 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm
I agree regarding the character of demos, but disagree regarding your last statement. A demo can show you what type of music the person is comfortable playing, and if its a live demo (youtube for example), what they are like in a live situation. Sure, the person can cherrypick to put up only their best work, but its something, at least.
I've wasted so much time on people who 'said' they could play xxxxxx songs, only to find that their style or actual ability did not mesh with mine at all. Or the guy who really 'just wanted to jam'. The guy who showed up for an audition with no guitar. The guy who showed up with an electric guitar (after I told him acoustic only). And the converse is true too - if they check out my studio work or live videos, they can tell if I'm right for what they're looking for.
#280736 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:17 pm
I'm w/ Mike on this: much of what you say has at least a grain of truth, but I disagree w/ the last statement. As I read it, it seems like you're focused on the fact that folks can be dishonest; is this a new insight? Of course they can, esp. when it comes to their own abilities. While there are some folks who will readily admit to their limitations (I'm one of them, maybe you are, too), most will cast themselves in the best light possible, often to the point of lying about their abilities. That's certainly true in such a subjective area as music, esp. where there are so many posers who would do anything to get noticed. (Heck, the entire social networking concept is based on getting noticed.)

Speaking only for myself in the context of what you note, I play tunes that I like to play. When I sit down at home to practice, I have a list I run through, and when I want to play something new, I pull out a chart or score and learn the tune. But it's always something I want to play, and never something I think someone else might want me to play. That's what my clips represent. They ain't great--I didn't have someone like Ted around to professionally produce them--but at least you have some idea of what I can do and what I like to do.

But let's say I provide no clips, and instead just claim that I'm a former student of Van Cliburn who also took lessons from Reese Wynans and did sessions in Nashville and LA. Would you buy that--just because I said so? Would you be willing to put together a session (musicians, studio, etc.) to test the veracity of my claims? Or would you first ask to hear a demo? If the former, you might be wasting a lot of time--both yours and others' (not to mention the $$ for studio fees). The latter won't cost you anything, and might provide some insight into what I'm about: whether I can play at least one tune or if I'm a total poser. Both Mike and I--and most folks in BM--are inclined to the latter.

It's always a crapshoot as to whether someone will fit in a band. It's true you might find a gem in the rough, someone who hasn't posted anything indicating what they can do, but the odds are against it. It's also true that someone who has posted a number of clips might not work out at all, for whatever reason. (Hey, maybe New Frontier and Porkpie Hat are the only 2 tunes I know; are you ready to pass me by?) While I'd agree that clips aren't the final word on anything (much like a good resume and interview aren't completely indicative of whether someone will work out in a job), in music, they are significant. They at least give you some idea of what someone can do.
#280801 by Mordgeld
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:57 pm
For me, it is a combination. I like to see the influences and interests of prospective auditions. Then I like to listen to some of their work. The online demos should tell me a couple of things. First, whether they are actually competent. Second, that they care enough about what they are doing to put examples of their work out there. I know some people have an extended learning curve if they came up as a rote musician. (Just learning songs and licks but not theory) I've got a fair amount of patience if they are reliable and click with the band. Anecdotally speaking, some of the best musicians I've run across have had either no samples or very low quality demos which would seem to support the premise of the thread title. But...it is music, I still like to hear something.
#280885 by Mike_krunch
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:34 am
Anyone who does not have a demo is not serious about their craft same goes if they got crappy equipment. So when you hear a song you like on the radio it says nothing about the musicians on the song? You never know the other things you mentioned until you spend time with them. In my case if you dont invest in yourself and display a product of your ability, tone, style and perhaps writing ability then i dont care how kool you are.
#280892 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:07 pm
Mike krunch meet 'george1146561', the forum's latest 'argue with everyone' member! :lol:
#280897 by Planetguy
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm
i agree that having expensive or inexpensive equip makes little difference in the level of anyone's skill set.

but i'm not gonna fly off the handle to take someone's head off just for the sake of doing so....

Mike_krunch wrote:Anyone who does not have a demo is not serious about their craft same goes if they got crappy equipment.

see, it's just as easy to interpret that comment about "crappy equipment" to be referring to how well that equipment is MAINTAINED and not merely it's price tag.

one of the best gtrsts i had to pleasure to work w played an old el cheap-o Danelectro Convertible gtr that had a gold foil p.u. removed from some cheap import gtr.....and it was one of the best playing gtrs i've ever played. he absolutely killed on it. cost him $100 in a pawn shop.

and i've also played w gtrsts and bassists w very expensive instrs who were too lazy and/or cheap to change their strings to the point where it affected their intonation. (painful for those of us who CAN hear when things are out of tune) :wink:

me, i won't waste any time on a musician, band, or studio date if i can't see video or at the very least hear some of their previous work.

and when someone trying to put something together like Memphis refuses to post a pic or video...that's an automatic disqualifying "NEXT!". anyone playing secret agent like that makes me wonder what they're hiding.
#280981 by Cajundaddy
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:04 pm
I find online demos to be one useful piece of the puzzle. Not the only piece or even the most important piece, but a useful look at what they are capable of, their style, their vocal range, and their production values. It is a great time saver for me to hear a clip of their stuff. If a player has no music demos anywhere I am less interested in spending time arranging a meeting only to waste each other's time. In listening to many forum members music here I have a pretty good idea who I could work with and who I could not.

This from a guy who plays in a reasonably fun and busy rock band with 3 of 4 players connected on Bandmix.

YMMV
#280982 by Planetguy
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 pm
Well, howdy stranger!

Good to see you around these parts, Dave. I hope this isn't just a drive-by and that you'll stick around to talk music some.....there's been precious little of that going on around here these days.

BTW....I agree w everything you said above.