This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279868 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:42 pm
For sure, they are using pretty outdated s/w. But you can usually bypass many of the profile listings with a quick scan - the less the information, the less the chance they are a good match. If a person doesn't put what they're looking for and other pertinent details .... You can also see when the last time they logged into their account.
#279870 by Mordgeld
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 pm
I know what you mean. I find that the picture often helps me. If I'm looking for a bassist and the picture doesn't show a bass, chances are that bass isn't their primary focus. Perhaps just slightly more info visible on the search results like age, primary instrument, and general skill level might help me to not click into all the too young to play in a bar, beginner, will have an instrument soon profiles in "new matches". I get that I can filter for that on my own search, but GuitarMikeB is correct, people don't seem to fill out the fields. So the problem is probably that musicians are horribly inconsistent and looking for/working with them can be just as much of a chore as herding cats. I know that Bandmix sends out an email when you message people and I have had people that didn't log in for a long time come back to check it out after I messaged them. Might be nice, though, if Bandmix would email people that had over a month gone that they needed to log in again to be in any search results and filter them out until they came back again. That might take care of the non-serious folks.
#279882 by schmedidiah
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:28 am
But hey.... At least they're addressing every musician and band's #1 concern.... Accordion, bagpipes and dobro. :mrgreen:
#279896 by Planetguy
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 pm
schmedidiah wrote:But hey.... At least they're addressing every musician and band's #1 concern.... Accordion, bagpipes and dobro. :mrgreen:

hey, being a dobro player.....i resemble that remark!
#279905 by schmedidiah
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:49 am
Planetguy wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:But hey.... At least they're addressing every musician and band's #1 concern.... Accordion, bagpipes and dobro. :mrgreen:

hey, being a dobro player.....i resemble that remark!

Great. Got any material with accordion and bagpipes as well? :mrgreen:
#279910 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:08 pm
Dobro is a particular manufacturer, the instrument is typically called a resonator guitar. I have a friend who plays one regularly, he's pretty good.
Accordian - I'm a fan of Acadian music, which uses squeezebox button accordians in many songs. My father played one of those big old "Lady of Spain' accordians. Not sure whatever happened to his, he must have sold it when we moved at some point.
Bagpipes - there are a couple of area bands that use them for their curious brand of celtic rock, one is named 'Enter the Haggis', look them up!