This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279544 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 pm
If there's no difference, of course not. Buy an instrument for how it sounds, unless you are just going to hang it on the wall for show. I think its stupid to pay more money for a 'road worn' (factory done) guitar, too.

I was just looking at the various 'name' model Strats on the Sweetwater site - not that many right now. Mostly the differences were the pickups.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#279545 by schmedidiah
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:59 am
I see people talk about the J Mascis signature Jazzmaster on the Dinosaur Jr facebook group and a lot of talk about how to reproduce the Strat that Dean Ween of Ween uses on their fb group. He's a member and even gets on there trying to drive up demand for his own proposed Fender signature line of axes. I don't get it. buy gear, look for gear that will work for you, but most importantly, learn to play. take any gear you can get your hands on and rock that sh*t.
#279555 by MikeTalbot
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:06 am
I've got a Strat Lonestar with two SRV Strat pickups and a 'Pearly Gates' humbucker in the bridge position. The Strat pickups can get a bit noisy but that humbucker is sweet as can be.

Talbot
#279557 by Badstrat
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:48 pm
When I first heard Danny Gatton wailing away on his Telecaster I thought it was the most brittle irritating tone I ever heard coming out of a guitar.
But Danny used that tone to bring such absolutely amazing things out of it that couldn't be attained with any other tone, and I learned to love that sound in short order.
It isn't so much what is in a guitar as opposed to what you put into it that gives a great picker an amazing sound. Danny's Tele sound was harsh brittle and as aggressive as his picking. Long live the memories of the "Humbler".
#279561 by Badstrat
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 pm
"Was that an official Fender "signature" guitar, or just his own personal guitar?"

It was s stock 1953 Telecaster that his father bought for him. But when the “World’s Greatest Unknown Guitarist.” played it there was nothing stock about it. "The humbler" had a way of doing the seemingly impossible with it. You can buy a Danny Gatton model from Fender for about 4 grand.

If one could do what he did by simplyt purchasing a Danny Gatton model it would be well worth the price, in my opinion. I'd sell all my stuff and buy one.

http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... aster.html
#279565 by Badstrat
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:02 am
Gee georgy-porgy I think it does. You the hall monitor now? :)

Badstrat wrote:It was s stock 1953 Telecaster that his father bought for him. But when the “World’s Greatest Unknown Guitarist.” played it there was nothing stock about it. "The humbler" had a way of doing the seemingly impossible with it. You can buy a Danny Gatton model from Fender for about 4 grand.

If one could do what he did by simplyt purchasing a Danny Gatton model it would be well worth the price, in my opinion. I'd sell all my stuff and buy one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7R4mwOOyEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpP7CnW4yA
#279571 by Badstrat
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:46 pm
georgey progey

Your thread wasn't hijacked. But you must be rather new to Internet posting or you would have notices lot of threads on Bandmix get hijacked within the first several posts. Not a place for control freaks for sure. Happens a lot. Nevertheless I referred to the signature D.G. guitar so as not to go to control freak jail. :)

Regardless I was responding more or less to what Mike said.

"Buy an instrument for how it sounds, unless you are just going to hang it on the wall for show. I think its stupid to pay more money for a 'road worn' (factory done) guitar, too. I was just looking at the various 'name' model Strats on the Sweetwater site - not that many right now. Mostly the differences were the pickups."

Just out of curiosity, Mike T, what signature guitar model were you posting about?

"I've got a Strat Lonestar with two SRV Strat pickups and a 'Pearly Gates' humbucker in the bridge position. The Strat pickups can get a bit noisy but that humbucker is sweet as can be." Who's signature model is that anyway... just curious.

I never tried SRV pickups but MS sound good to me.