This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279486 by Displaced Pianist
Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:58 pm
(Gee, after all this time, my first thread...)

Alas, half of the Steely Dan duo has left us, on Sunday, Sep. 3. Surprised that no one has mentioned it, but I guess jazz-influenced rock that focuses on the darker side of life/human nature isn't all that popular or relevant--ironically, in the era of Chump--these days. I still love it and believe it stands the test of time. I'll miss the sardonic humor and the great guitar licks, and will continue to play their music here at home, where no one will be offended (remember, I live in Tampon).

A significant loss for the music world.
#279487 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 pm
Always liked their music, although much of it used jazz-inspired chords/patterns that I could never learn!
I think Becker was responsible for a lot of the lyrics, his guitar playing was adequate, but they often used guest guitarists in the studio.
Their albums were always highly polished with a clear well-defined sound. Finally go the chance to see them live just 3 years ago.
#279502 by J-HALEY
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:57 am
I have always liked Steely Dan. The music is just phenomenal imo. Crazy thing is I was just watching some really old videos the night before he died. I woke up the next morning to read the news.
I was watching the videos to cheer myself up, after all I have been through a few beers some Steely Dan made me feel better if just for a few hours.
#279504 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:25 pm
I remember when I first got my Telecaster (72), went over to a friends who was a great player - he could copy most anything after hearing it one time. He plugged the Tele into his Fender Deluxe Reverb, adjusted the tone controls, then proceeded to rip into the lead of 'Reeling In The Years' with the exact sound of the album.
#279505 by Displaced Pianist
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:39 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Always liked their music, although much of it used jazz-inspired chords/patterns that I could never learn!

I can't say how it might be for a guitarist, but they did use a lot of unusual constructions that, as a pianist, are very accessible to me. Jook used to say they were too heavy on the Maj7 (gee, where is Jook these days? need to send him a msg.), but the Mu Major (add2) is what they are most known for. It adds depth to the sound and is easy for a pianist. But even as a pianist, I need to see the scores to really get it right--not something musicians these days are fond of doing.
GuitarMikeB wrote:I think Becker was responsible for a lot of the lyrics, his guitar playing was adequate, but they often used guest guitarists in the studio.

Becker started out as the bassist, but became a good guitarist in his own right. They were notorious for using interchangeable studio musicians--check out that VH1 segment on the making of Aja. The list of guitarists is substantial: Denny Dias, Elliot Randall, Skunk Baxter, Larry Carlton, Jay Graydon, Becker, Jon Hetherington, and one-offs like Rick Derringer, Steve Khan, Mark Knopfler, Dean Parks, etc... They did that w/ all the musicians, but did have certain favorites they used often, like Clydie King & Venetta Fields.

Speaking of guitarists, if there's any enterprising guitarist here who would like to add the guitar track to "New Frontier" (it's on my page), I'd be happy to send you the score and tracks. It really isn't that bad, in terms of complexity.
GuitarMikeB wrote:Their albums were always highly polished with a clear well-defined sound. Finally go the chance to see them live just 3 years ago.

Their studio habits--for example, taking a year to record Gaucho--are often overlooked, even by folks who cop the scores and play their tunes. It's one thing to ape their style, but to create it from scratch...

Saw them the first time in '73 (they still had David Palmer), then twice more in the '90s. For much of their heyday, they weren't big on touring. But it was something to see, esp. when they trotted out that big band/sound.

Hey, J, hope you survived the deluge intact.
#279506 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:21 pm
Maybe it's just coincidence, but I've been on a Steely Dan kick lately. Just learned "Dirty Work" after all these years of liking it but not knowing it. Started getting into them again for the pure fun and quality of their work. Can't think of a bad song they ever did?

RIP, Walt
#279510 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 pm
yod wrote:Maybe it's just coincidence, but I've been on a Steely Dan kick lately. Just learned "Dirty Work" after all these years of liking it but not knowing it. Started getting into them again for the pure fun and quality of their work. Can't think of a bad song they ever did?

RIP, Walt

A cover song??!! :lol: perish the thought! j/k

Good song, just put that on my 'learn it' list. Simple chords compared to the jazzy keyboard songs from Fagen.
#279516 by Displaced Pianist
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:57 pm
Say wha?! Folks willing to play some Dan tunes? I'm flabbergasted (always wanted to use that in a sentence).

Never played "Dirty Work," but prob. have a score for it around here somewhere. If "New Frontier" doesn't strike anyone, how 'bout "Hey Nineteen" or "Maxine"? I think I also recorded the tracks for "Babylon Sisters," but need to check. All need guitar and vocals; will supply scores and all other tracks.

Any takers?
#279519 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:31 pm
I can't read music but "Hey Nineteen" is autobiographical and, with my new job and new place, I have finally set up my little home demo studio again....so I'm yer huckleberry if you aren't in a big rush.

What key? Are you singing it? Send me what you have. I had to change the key in "Dirty Work" so it was easier to play and fit my range better.
#279522 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 pm
I did Rikki Don't Lose That Number solo acoustic a few years ago - one time. Had some hard change-ups to do while singing. Last night at band practice I hit the first notes of the bass part for Led Zep's Ramble On and realized they were the opening notes of Rikki!
#279523 by schmedidiah
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 pm
I'd take a stab at New Frontier but it would be weird :lol:
#279524 by MikeTalbot
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 pm
Great...now I have to check out the chords for 'Dirty Work.' Always did like that song.

Talbot
#279528 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 pm
yod wrote: I had to change the key in "Dirty Work" so it was easier to play and fit my range better.

Original is in Bbm/Gb (capo guitar on 1). I'm playing it with no capo, so in Am/F.
Talbot - chords are easy:
Verse: Am Dm G C F Bb C G (descending bass while holding G: B-A-G-F-E) Am Dm G C F Bb C Dm
Chorus: C Fmaj7 Am Bb (B) C...
Sax lead section: G Em G Em F G Dm
#279530 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:43 pm
It feels more natural for me to sing it in the key of A

Gbm D E A Gbm G A E.
Times are hard and you're afraid to pay the fee so you find yourself somebody who will do the job for free

Gbm D E A Gbm G A Bm
When you need a little loving 'cause you're man is out of town that's the time you get me running cause you know I'll be around

A D Gbm G (4x)
I'm a fool to do your dirty work, oh yeah, I don't want to do your dirty work no more
#279531 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:44 pm
I'd be happy to supply the 2 tracks (organ, e. piano) to "Dirty Work" if someone lays down the rest; I can add the sax, too. Doesn't matter what key you use. If you can provide an .mp4, I can import into Audacity, lay down my tracks, then send it all back to you for mixing. Likewise "Rikki"; it's not all that complex, if anyone wants to give it a shot. Been playin' it for years and know it well. It's in E.

Ted, not sure what key I used for "Nineteen"; it's written in D, but I might have changed it when I tried to add the vocal (which didn't turn out very well). I'll need to check. I pulled it out and listened to it yesterday, and remembered something else: my drum track sux. It sounds like someone used a pre-programmed drum track--which is exactly what I did. Best bet would be to get you all the bare tracks, then you can swap out the chaff. The synth, organ, piano and bass tracks are solid. Need to figure out how to get you the tracks, tho; it's not like emailing an .mp4.

Schmeddy, I'll shoot you "Frontier" if you want to play around w/ it. That one I did change the key: from E to Eb--always a favorite w/ guitarists (cough, cough).

Might be a few days before I can do much; Irma is supposed to come through tomorrow morning. They say it's gonna be a direct hit on Orlando, but I'm not so sure. Besides, they lose intensity as they pass over land, and there's a lot of land between Key West & Orlando. Last time a hurricane hit Tampa (2004), we lost power for 3-4 days, but that was the worst of it. I'm expecting a lot of rain and maybe a power outage. Guess I'll know by this time tomorrow. Just glad I don't live in Key West.