This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279067 by Planetguy
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 pm
Saturday afternoon Planet Jazz had office space at a nice little winery at Lake Of The Ozarks on a bluff overlooking the lake. Beautiful weather and we even had some overhang!
#279077 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:28 pm
What's that on the yellow-and-black-striped mic stand in the center?
#279082 by J-HALEY
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 pm
That's a lot of instruments Mark. Must fill that Jag up. :D
#279083 by Displaced Pianist
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm
Planetguy wrote:Saturday afternoon Planet Jazz had office space at a nice little winery at Lake Of The Ozarks on a bluff overlooking the lake. Beautiful weather and we even had some overhang!

Hey, where's the piano?? I don't see the piano. Cheese-n-rice, Batflake--there's NO FRIGGIN' PIANO!! How can it be jazz without a piano??

Did I mention THERE'S NO PIANO??
#279093 by MikeTalbot
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:07 pm
Nice looking set up. It is a wonderful feeling, having set up gear. (if you don't have a heart attack)

But I swear every year its harder as the gear gets heavier, absorbing gear atoms from the very air!

Talbot
#279094 by DainNobody
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm
I miss the sax guy
#279096 by Planetguy
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm
george1146561 wrote:
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:I miss the sax guy

I was in a band with a sax guy once. He threatened to quit the band if we didn't find a fiddler. He claimed that for a band to be any good, it had to have sax and violins.

where was he from? is it possible you misunderstood because of his thick accent, and he was saying "sex and violence"? 8)

Dane.....It IS true.... our photos really DO sound better with the sax guy! :D just listen!!!!

Mike, I've been lucky enough w only one exception to always have played w like minded bandmates who rarely saw the need to get there any earlier than need be. Even w the (miced up) vibes , my mando, and gtr....plus a drummer and bassplayer ....we can show up 60 min before it's time to drop a down beatand be set up ( often w recording gear too)
ready to play w a cold one on hand. Still setup /breakdown will ALWAYS be the part we get paid for!
#279097 by Planetguy
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:07 pm
yod wrote:OK, but what kind of food and drink service do you get for playing there?????

WHAAAAAAT?!!!! you have to ASK??!?!!! Pizza of course!

DP....i understand your distress at no keyboardist in the roster. We've found many good players perfectly capable to contribute to the cause, but alas i've not found one who will haul and set up my gear......til then, i'm holding the position open for you! 8) BTW...I love the new avatar. i hope Memphis doesn't bring suit for using his image w/o his written consent!

Haley, you might be sidelined on the bench, but you still have the trained eye of the veteran musician who's put in his time in the trenches, as you made quick work out of identifying that most important piece of gear for what it is..a tip jar!

the jag's moved on to Ozone Park NY and belongs to a nice, and very colorful, older Greek gentleman. it was fun while i had, it but it was also a PITA and a regular money pit.

the best piece of gear and most fun to pull up to a gig with and remove from the e-type was my upright. that would always turn a few heads and elicit squeals of delight from the children and womenfolk. i hope you're not climbing the walls too badly from being benched, and unable to play. :wink:
#279105 by J-HALEY
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:07 pm
Thanks Mark, I started playing guitar again (my Strats) they are thin and don't position my arm in a way that hurts my shoulder. I am a little bummed by not being able to play my acoustics but that will happen in a week or so. Having a serious injury for the first time in my 58 years sure puts life in a different perspective. These days I focus on what is really important in life. I see other folks that have it way worse than I at physical therapy! Makes me realize my condition is not that bad. It is all relative due to the fact I have lost a summer/season of gigging.
#279133 by MikeTalbot
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 am
Mr. Haley

I know exactly what you mean. I get a monthly IV drip that is really helping my asthma. It also affected my attitude when they accidentally dumped me in the cancer ward where everyone was getting chemo. Some of those folks were pretty messed up. I'm more positive these days.

Talbot