This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#278201 by DainNobody
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:33 pm
just wonderin'? I need to make $200.00 to make it worth my while.. just sayin' ..LMAO :lol:
#278237 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 pm
As George says - it really depends on what/where the event is. I've been doing the fund-raising Beatles benefit show every spring for 7 years now, and until this year, 'pay' was beer and food - and I usually helped out by bring a cooler with some beer in it! But this year, we did get paid as it was organized differently. We didn't get $200 each (turnout was a little low this year), but there were 5 of us in the band (and we got over $120 each), there were other players in the first half and we only did one 1-hour set.

$200 per person? You're dreaming again, Dane. When was the last time you had a band gig that paid you that much that wasn't just a one-off?
#278243 by Displaced Pianist
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm
I used to love to play food festivals (didn't we discuss this not long ago?). They always paid us, but I'd do it for food & drink, esp. the Bratwurst Fest, Sausage Fest, Rib Fest & any Chili Cook-off. Don't drink alcohol these days, but they always have sweet tea somewhere. Hey G., I live about a mile or so from the main Yeungling plant--it's a short bike ride. Dunno if they still offer tours. I did that once at the Coors plant back in the 70s, but I never really liked Coors.

$200, eh? Cool; I'll do it for $100, underbid you and get the gig. And I'm always in tune.
#278244 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm
nothing wrong with charitable acts, but I guess I meant to say, as in re-wording it, do you play for food and beer habitually? as in the only way you are able to get a gig is play basically for free? .. yeah, DP I bet you are always in tune , but I have often heard every time you move a piano the jostling causes it to be re-tuned every time it's moved..LOL.. oh, and will you need a chart if you decide to collaborate with me on "Procaine" LOL :lol: I can hear you putting in those syncopated missing E9 chord stabs on "Procaine" generally done with an overdubbed guitar, but your good tone on keys would make it really shine as far as an improvised piece..or so I believe..LOL :D
#278245 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 pm
Sorry to keep you waiting, Dane! :wink:

I know you're on this kick trying to use this whole "food gig" thing as some goofball battering ram and something to take pot shots with...but I think you're looking a little silly with this latest grasp. So, let me answer your question.

I'd never take a gig at a venue for "food and beer" unless it was a one off for some fundraiser that i could support.

Dayne Nobody IV wrote:but I guess I meant to say, as in re-wording it, do you play for food and beer habitually? as in the only way you are able to get a gig is play basically for free? ..

:lol: LOL! No worries... I think we ALL know where you're coming from here, Dane! :lol:

Let me break it down for you. I played 14 gigs in July. ALL of them paying gigs.

Included in those 14 gigs are/were TWO restaurant gigs for PLANET JAZZ and ONE restaurant gig for MERE MORTALS. Food, beer, AND a paycheck at both venues. So, that's 3 out of 14 gigs at restaurants.

Given the choice between playing a gig that INCLUDES food vs. one that doesn't.... I will ALWAYS opt for one that does. In my book the only thing better than a paying gig is a paying gig that ALSO includes good food and drinks.

Some of the best musicians to ever walk the earth played "food gigs" in places that serve food. If Wes Montgomery (and scores of other great musicians) was OK playing those gigs, then I don't believe anyone w half a brain should feel any shame in playing where food is served. :wink:

Afterall...don't they serve funnel cakes and corn dogs at your swap meet gigs? :D
Last edited by Planetguy on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#278246 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I think everybody here has discussed either their animosity towards musical groups that play for free, or their agreement it is good for exposure.. I just thought it was a valid topic to discuss is all.. since we all have our pros and cons related to this topic.. sheesh Planetguy, you really do like to accuse without any basis to do so.. :D but you are still a friend no matter how poorly you treat me.. :o
#278247 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:46 pm
give it up dane.... no one's buying that meally mouthed.."oh, what me? i didn't mean anything" BS. :oops: :roll:
#278248 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 pm
I am sorry the topic "playing for free food and beer" is a sore spot for you.. :)
#278251 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:01 pm
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:I am sorry the topic "playing for free food and beer" is a sore spot for you.. :)

sorry, to burst your balloon. it's not a sore subject at all.

if there's something i object to, it's someone walking around w a chip on their shoulder taking potshots, but lacking the hair on their sac to man up and stand behind their efforts.

i can have some respect for someone whose testes have dropped and can do that....but sniveling, passive aggressive, mealy mouthed, running and hiding "who me...oh, i didn't mean anything" little girl $hit is a real turnoff.

you should really see a doctor about that chip on your shoulder before it screws up your back. :wink:
#278252 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:22 pm
actually buddy, I did not even have you in my mind when I created the topic.. sensitive much? maybe you should go see a shrink and get your imagination of persecution worked out? it happens to the best.. so don't feel bad about it.. just get it checked out, before you start imagining persecution maybe?..as in :D :D little fairies floating around shooting arrows at you?
#278253 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:32 pm
is their not a thread that you and your paid cousins, cohorts, and associates scattered around the country will not bastardize? .. once again, thanks for going off-topic bringing up being in tune, that I am thinking about you all the time, etc. that are not the least remotely relevant to the topic :)
#278254 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:54 pm
nope.....i never brought up intonation.
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:is their not a thread that you and your paid cousins, cohorts, and associates scattered around the country will not bastardize? .. once again, thanks for going off-topic bringing up being in tune, that I am thinking about you all the time, etc. that are not the least remotely relevant to the topic :)

nope.....i never brought up intonation. that's ok, i know it must be difficult for you to read thru the blood in your eye!

and my post was spot on referencing playing what you like to derisively refer to as "food gigs". now, you can continue denying that, OR grow a set and fess up...you took a shot.....missed by a country mile, and made yourself look an ass in the process. (again) :oops:
#278255 by J-HALEY
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 pm
I will play for food and drink. I do charge $150.00 for load in and load out per man. :D