This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#278107 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:to take a big risk and put up your resources to record an album of, say, gangsta rap, that would be gutsy.

hmm.....gangsta rap? yomofo whachulukin at?

I see your point. In words of the prophet Tyler "you got to lose to know how to win" so, in a sense we should all live like we have nothing to lose.

I've always felt like the best art was that which took the biggest risk.

When you have nothing--remember, this is a gal who was sleeping in her car--it's very easy to take big risks: you have nothing to lose.

I think she deserves more credit than that. Jewel let her situation drive her to gamble on herself, then had ambition enough to go for it. So few ever try, so I think her gutsy determination is commendable.

Maybe it's more gutsy to try it later in life because of financial risk (maybe stupid in that regard?) but you've got a life of experiences to either overcome or use to advantage. For a youngster like her it was a brave new world with no safety net. Only someone who trusts they have something worth offering would bet it all like that.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
#278116 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:31 am
george1146561 wrote:Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

Kris Kristofferson wrote that, but it became famous when Janis Joplin recorded her cover version of the song.

I concede your point. You win. Welcome to BandMix where you will be continually tweaked by old farts.

It's a fun group. Glad to have another old fart in the club. :wink:

I'm from the Golden Triangle area of Texas that gave you Janis.

((*** and Johnny & Edgar Winter, The Big Bopper, Harry James, George Jones, Gatemouth Brown (Freddy King's lead guitarist), Mark O Conner, Mark Chesnutt, etc....))

It's an isolation of blues or country there. But it is at least authentic. Country singers really do have broken down trucks, and the greatest blues bands got the blues cause nobody's paying them.

At the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland I saw a hand written song by Janis to Satan. It's straight-up and over the top demonic adoration that I didn't know she was into. Part of her Hell's Angels days around Fresno.

She was like no other. They are still trying to find a female singer who compares to her. But none of them have the blues she literally had.

A vote came up in Port Arthur to either turn her childhood home into a museum or demolish it for parking space. Cars won.

Jimmy Johnson, former coach of the Cowboys, was in her high school class and they changed the name of the main street, Memorial Blvd, to Jimmy Johnson Blvd. There is still no Janis or Joplin street in Pt Arthur.

She was voted ugliest boy on campus at UT Austin. Harsh.

And this is what I meant by the greatest success stories are usually people who aren't satisfied where they are. Janis probably didn't see herself as a success in the end, in my opinion.

Amy Wineglass had a restless soul. Jimi. Morrison. etc.
#278123 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:11 pm
Ted

I read a dystopian story about Janis. Everything had gone to sh*t for all the usual reasons. So once a year, they did a surgical and biological make ever on some volunteer and sent them off on a 'Janis tour.'

At the end of the tour, fans would tear her to pieces. She knew that going in, I suppose that it was an allegory in some ways.

The chief manipulator of the US said to the narrator, "When they stop tearing her to pieces, we'll know we have a civilization again..."

Talbot
#278143 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:44 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Ted

I read a dystopian story about Janis. Everything had gone to sh*t for all the usual reasons. So once a year, they did a surgical and biological make ever on some volunteer and sent them off on a 'Janis tour.'

At the end of the tour, fans would tear her to pieces. She knew that going in, I suppose that it was an allegory in some ways.

The chief manipulator of the US said to the narrator, "When they stop tearing her to pieces, we'll know we have a civilization again..."

Talbot

I'm missing references and context evidently. Who are "they", "Some volunteer" , "Them", "her" and "Chief Manipulator of the US (Hillary?)
#278149 by MikeTalbot
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 pm
The volunteer agrees to be made into a Janis clone and have a blast touring until she is killed.

Chief Manipulator - the senior government flunky in the story

The government sponsors it hence 'they.'

Talbot
#278162 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am
MikeTalbot wrote:The volunteer agrees to be made into a Janis clone and have a blast touring until she is killed.

Chief Manipulator - the senior government flunky in the story

The government sponsors it hence 'they.'

Talbot

oh. harsh.

how's the shoulder?