This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#278037 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 pm
Want happiness in your music career? It’s never too late to learn.
June 29, 2017 Johnny Dwinell

You’ll love Jewel’s story because it’s incredibly inspiring. You might also hate it, because it will leave you with zero excuses in your pursuit to find happiness in your music career.

Happiness is a learned skill, and it’s never too late to learn.

Have you heard this before? Do you believe it? Really?

Let’s take it one step further and propose that happiness in your artistic career is a byproduct of behavior – not a destination. You may hear stories of an artist’s “one big break,” but that big break happened on several levels as a byproduct of a life spent working diligently. You’re not going to find happiness and success with one fortuitous connection.

Successful artists were noticed because of the work they were doing, and they were prepared to walk through the newly opened door of opportunity.

Jewel’s story

I pretty much devour Gary Vaynerchuk content, and his interview with Jewel on the Gary Vee Show is incredible.

She has a story I want to share with you, and you’re going to love it because it’s incredibly inspiring. You might also hate it, because her story will leave you with zero excuses.

We’ve all been broken before, and we’ve all had (or have) people in our lives who try to break us. Jewel did, and she overcame all of that. She didn’t let life’s horrible twists make her a victim or a statistic, though they could have.

Jewel moved out of her home when she was 15 years old because her dad was being abusive. She ended up in San Diego, CA a couple of years later, but she was disenchanted by the music scene because the coffee houses were “pay-to-play.” She didn’t get it. She didn’t see how the coffee shop could profit from an artist’s energy and soul for a few hours and offer only tips in return.

By this time, she was 18, and her boss wanted to sleep with her. When she refused, he withheld her paychecks. So she thought to herself, “I’ll just sleep in my car for a month or two until I find a new gig.” This move might have been good for her soul, but left her homeless for a year and a half.

During this time, she was shoplifting quite often. On one occasion, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She was disgusted. She had become the very thing she promised herself she wouldn’t become: a statistic.

Which brings us to the pivotal moment I want you to think about. You are suffering in some ways. We all suffer in some ways. Jewel explains (and I agree) that it’s a gift to be allowed to struggle, because this is where successful people find the tools they need to cope. Coping tools are the instruments we need to continue to be productive and work through our suffering as humans and as artists.

I can relate. I lost everything in the 2008 financial meltdown. I rebuilt and moved forward, and it wasn’t easy. There were many moments when my soul was violently careening on a current of negative energy, and it was my thought processes that got me off that wave.

Buddha says, “Happiness does not depend on who you are or what you have, it depends on what you think.” I’m sure that way too many of you believe happiness depends on who you are and what you have.

Some of you may feel because you’re well-off, you should be happy. That’s called entitlement.

Some of you may feel that new guitar (or some thing) will make you happier, but it’s just another possession. It’s just a “thing”.

Some of you might feel that a person will make you happier. That’s called dependency.

The reality is, Buddha is right. Duh. Happiness is all about what you think.

For me, losing everything – which is an unbelievably scary thing to think about and even more terrifying to endure – was the greatest gift I ever received. I realized my things and my relationships don’t define me. I also am no longer scared of losing everything, because I’ve lived through it.

Yes, it totally sucked, but I know I can handle it. I have the capacity to innovate my way out of trouble.

During Jewel’s homeless period, she found a coffee shop that was going out of business. She struck a deal with the owner (who had nothing to lose), offering to help build a steady following for the business with her performances. He agreed, and suddenly Jewel found herself at another crossroads: she only knew cover songs. Songwriting was going to have to happen – and quick.

Jewel recognized she was lonely, and so were many other people, so she figured she could connect with them through her lyrics. She also admitted she deserved to be lonely, because she only told the truth in one place: a notebook that nobody read. She decided it was time to talk openly and take a risk to be vulnerable. This is an epiphany most indie artists seem to miss.

The songstress thought to herself, “Fear is a thief. It takes the past and projects it into the future and robs you of the only opportunity you have to create real change, which is right now.”

It’s easier to be derivative than it is to be vulnerable. Maybe you have a lot of talent, but because you’re unwilling to be truly exposed, you’re not getting the attention your talent deserves. Or maybe you don’t deserve the attention right now. Did you ever think of it that way? I have news for you: it’s your personal truth, your story, that will separate you from the crowd and make you special.

Then, there’s your marketing. Most artists aren’t thinking about or acting on any kind of marketing. Here’s an illustration of how bad it is.

Not long ago, I was just at a new record label showcase. One of the artists who played the event was a Curb Records artist. He was an amazing R&B act, and I was familiar with his last song even though I don’t spend much time listening to that genre. He was great, but his social media sucked.

Literally half of my artists have much larger and far more engaged fans in their respective social media communities than this major label artist. I find this to be generally true: unless an artist is famous, his or her social media engagement is seriously lacking.

This artist is clearly relying on the record label to bring him to market, which is sad. We’re down to a few major labels precisely because they’re not sure how to bring an artist to the market anymore.

Back to Jewel

With her head on straight, Jewel goes to work writing and starts to play the coffeehouse shows.

Her first show had two people. The next had seven people. A few months later there were people lining up around the corner to hear her sing.

The packed coffee house was a byproduct of her thinking, at first, and then her actions. Someone bootlegged a live recording of her, and a radio station in San Diego started playing it. Soon she was a highly requested artist, and then the labels came calling.

This is another pitfall I see many indie artists fall into. They’re waiting to be discovered.

Jewel went out and found her audience, and like I always preach, the industry found her. She was offered a record deal, but she was a folk artist in a grunge market. How could she possibly cut through?

The label offered her a million-dollar advance. She turned it down, and used the advance to buy (renegotiate) a much better back-end deal on her contract. She was gutsy, and knowledgeable. She had read one book on contracts and realized the advance was recoupable.

Jewel broke through before the social media age because of her brain. Yes, the talent was there, but her audience was only made aware of it because of the way she thought, acted, and pursued her career. As Gary Vee said, “Your fans got there and gave a crap because of you, and then they took over.”

Do you see where I’m headed with this? You, the artist, must start the fire. Cultivate your first 1,000 superfans, and then let them take over. You have to give to receive.

If you focus on making other people happy, on providing value to them first, you’ll learn how to be happy.

(I don't necessarily agree with that last statement, but you should "find a need and fill it" - yod)

Johnny Dwinell is a veteran Los Angeles artist/producer/businessman who created Daredevil Production in 2011 to provide innovative artist development in the new music business. In mid 2013 Daredevil Production started a weekly blog as a free resource for artists and songwriters to use for inspiration, advice, support, and knowledge. In late 2013 Johnny Dwinell wrote the bestselling Music Marketing On Twitter book. Thousands of artists and songwriters have improved their understanding and execution of social media with the help of this free book!
#278040 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 pm
me... i never had any dream to "make it" or be some "bigtime star" (however you define either of those).

as far as my musical dreams and aspirations....all i ever wanted was a life filled w music. i've been lucky enough to have had exactly that. 8)
#278044 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 pm
Happiness is what you make it to be, and can be attained wherever one finds themselves.

But I find it interesting that the only people who do "make the big time" (as defined by those who don't) are those who are not satisfied (i.e. "happy") to stay where they are/were. Not that they can't enjoy it, as much as they don't feel they are at a level which matches their ability or ambition very long. In other words, maybe they just get bored rather quickly wherever they are?

Because I've never heard anyone on a music discussion board define themselves as having NOT "made it", for example. They simply change the expectations to match their current perceived status, because they aren't chasing what another person defines as success, which means there is no way to define the word "success" because it varies from person to person. No one wants to define themselves as unsuccessful.

To me, writing/performing is about being curious of the world and wanting to communicate to it through art; so my definition of success is more about what someone has created than how many likes they get, or even fans they have. If it's truly a great creation it will gather momentum for the next truly great creation.

For example, I believe BB King was a "successful" artist/songwriter decades before English musicians recognized him and brought him to the stores where white folks of the USA could buy his records. But he wasn't financially successful until then. Success in one area isn't necessarily followed by success in other areas quickly, if at all.

Yet BB was a success long before he became successful. And that was, in fact, why he "made it".

He was who he was either way. Millions of other people only recognized what was already there.

#278048 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 pm
perhaps my definition of "success" is simply having a vehicle to share my art w audiences, and have fine musicians who i respect interpret my music and i their's.... musicians who i regularly get to musically "converse" and interact with, and maintain an ongoing relationship with. i like the continuity and "one for all and all for one" team aspect of that.

but then i'm a guy who's always enjoyed and maintained long term relationships...been married to same gal 38 yrs....played w PLANET JAZZ 25 yrs...MERE MORTALS 10 yrs.... still keep in touch and see childhood friends, etc.

some might enjoy travelling around to share their music, or as you say...they've "adjusted" themselves and their expectations to convince themselves so.... but i'm a family guy and prefer to be around my loved ones. i prefer sleeping in my own bed next to my woman. and that's all i ever wanted....speaking solely for myself, it's not been any adjustment that i made to suit my station in life. i've been on the road doing that bit...never cared for it.

but everyone follows their own muse and should do what makes them happy.
#278073 by Displaced Pianist
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:22 pm
Here's the way I approach life...

You are at a crossroads. Take 1 fork, you get 10 million dollars...but everyday--multiple times a day--you need to kiss someone's azz. When they want. And like it. Because you're bought and paid for--a commodity. On the other fork, you get nothing except total control over your life. You do what you want, when you want, with whom you want.

I always take the 2nd fork. To each his/her own.

yod wrote:The label offered her a million-dollar advance. She turned it down, and used the advance to buy (renegotiate) a much better back-end deal on her contract. She was gutsy, and knowledgeable. She had read one book on contracts and realized the advance was recoupable.

So she had to read a book on contracts to recognize what an "advance against X" is? I wonder if it would crush her tender psyche to learn that even folks w/ an 8th-grade education, working at McDonald's for minimum wage, know that an advance is a loan that will come out of your check on payday. It's good that she can read, anyway.

Never liked that whiny, self-indulgent tripe she passed off as music. But I recognize that prepubescent, teenybopper girls buy more records than any other demographic.
#278074 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 pm
Planetguy wrote:perhaps my definition of "success" is simply having a vehicle to share my art w audiences, and have fine musicians who i respect interpret my music and i their's.... musicians who i regularly get to musically "converse" and interact with, and maintain an ongoing relationship with. i like the continuity and "one for all and all for one" team aspect of that.

By that definition every band who can play a song is a success.

but then i'm a guy who's always enjoyed and maintained long term relationships...been married to same gal 38 yrs....played w PLANET JAZZ 25 yrs...MERE MORTALS 10 yrs.... still keep in touch and see childhood friends, etc.

some might enjoy travelling around to share their music, or as you say...they've "adjusted" themselves and their expectations to convince themselves so.... but i'm a family guy and prefer to be around my loved ones. i prefer sleeping in my own bed next to my woman. and that's all i ever wanted....speaking solely for myself, it's not been any adjustment that i made to suit my station in life.

There is no reason why those have to be mutually exclusive positions to a successful musician.

Are you saying that sleeping with your wife every night makes your life successful, and therefore your musical career also?

but everyone follows their own muse and should do what makes them happy.

Are you saying that happiness equals success? I would agree they are related.

You seem to have taken my post personally? No reason for that, just making observation about what I see outside of BM world. For example, Robert Plant has nothing left to prove, and could never top Led Zeppelin, yet that doesn't satisfy him. I think we could all agree that he has "hit the big time" in his life, yet he's still putting bands together, writing new music, and touring around.

Not satisfied to sit still and call himself a success though he certainly could.

Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#278075 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:03 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:So she had to read a book on contracts to recognize what an "advance against X" is? I wonder if it would crush her tender psyche to learn that even folks w/ an 8th-grade education, working at McDonald's for minimum wage, know that an advance is a loan that will come out of your check on payday.

I think you'd be surprised.

Remember that (major) labels think anyone over 22 is too old to sign, and prefer minors. That has changed only because they're now mostly looking for bands/artists who have already proven themselves to sell.

You are at a crossroads. Take 1 fork, you get 10 million dollars...but everyday--multiple times a day--you need to kiss someone's azz. When they want. And like it. Because you're bought and paid for--a commodity. On the other fork, you get nothing except total control over your life. You do what you want, when you want, with whom you want.

With most unknown artists you'll have to use that first fork to raise your profile before the other fork will pay off.
#278078 by Vampier
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm
Yod ... great tale ... the storie not necessarily the girl. I always admire the way you are consistent in the face of any criticism ... part of the reason for your success and happiness.

Planet Guy ... very insightful Post. I respect your take on "making it" and salute you for knowing what you want and achieving it. So many it seems have no idea of what they want and in some cases this seems to change with the hour.

George ... well stated. I hope you are feeling better.

Displaced ... I like what you have stated and identify with it the most.

Most probably many will see everyone's Posts as disagreements. In some ways this is true of course but I prefer to look at them and what they all have in common. Music and knowing, achieving personal goals in the face of adversity and being not only happy but quite competent in what they do. And last but not least ... they each are without any doubt Individualists. Not a bad lot if you ask me.
#278086 by Planetguy
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 pm
Planetguy wrote:perhaps my definition of "success" is simply having a vehicle to share my art w audiences, and have fine musicians who i respect interpret my music and i their's.... musicians who i regularly get to musically "converse" and interact with, and maintain an ongoing relationship with. i like the continuity and "one for all and all for one" team aspect of that.

yod wrote:By that definition every band who can play a song is a success.

i have no idea how you came up w that takeaway! :shock: i don't think it's bragging to state that the bands i play w have a little more going for them than simply "being able to play a song". were THAT the case, i would not be tossing the word "success" around. :wink:

Planetguy wrote:but then i'm a guy who's always enjoyed and maintained long term relationships...been married to same gal 38 yrs....played w PLANET JAZZ 25 yrs...MERE MORTALS 10 yrs.... still keep in touch and see childhood friends, etc.

some might enjoy travelling around to share their music, or as you say...they've "adjusted" themselves and their expectations to convince themselves so.... but i'm a family guy and prefer to be around my loved ones. i prefer sleeping in my own bed next to my woman. and that's all i ever wanted....speaking solely for myself, it's not been any adjustment that i made to suit my station in life.

yod wrote: There is no reason why those have to be mutually exclusive positions to a successful musician.

Are you saying that sleeping with your wife every night makes your life successful, and therefore your musical career also?

well, this goes to how YOU define "success" vs. how I define it.

if i had to travel around constantly to work as much as i do.....i would not consider myself "successful". by MY definition of the word.

it's ok that you have a different definition of "success" than i. your definition has no impact on how i view my "success" and MY definition should have none on how you view your's. they're simply different, that's all.

yod wrote:Are you saying that happiness equals success? I would agree they are related.

"equals"? no. but it's certainly a huge component.

i have a good friend who's one of four partners in a small law firm that only practices Special Education law....something near and dear to them. this friend works at home, never works more than 40 hrs a week (usually much less), but has never made more than 150K a yr...decent scratch but certainly not top shelf $ for a lawyer. Little to no time litigating in court.

Now some might consider Johhny Cochran a "successful lawyer"... pulling down huge bucks...performing on the big stage....etc. And it's hard to argue he's NOT "successful".

But I believe my friend to be just as much of a success story.

yod wrote:You seem to have taken my post personally? No reason for that, just making observation about what I see outside of BM world.

i suppose It's human nature but perhaps something to be on guard about... measuring one's "success" by looking at others we believe to have less while using OUR definition of what "success" is.

and yeah....i get a bit of a whiff of that coming off you here, ted.
#278087 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:56 pm
Planetguy wrote:i have no idea how you came up w that takeaway! :shock: i don't think it's bragging to state that the bands i play w have a little more going for them than simply "being able to play a song". were THAT the case, i would not be tossing the word "success" around. :wink:

you are obviously taking this waaaaay too personal. I'm not doing any comparisons here. Not between you & me or anyone else. Why did you take it there?

By doing so you are only continually proving my point that everyone sees themselves as a success. I'm waiting for one person to step up and say "I'm a total failure" in the same discussion for over a decade.

Is it ok if I don't see myself as a failure too? Why do you instantly go to a comparison? I don't envy you and you don't envy me...yea, we both understand that, right? But I'm not bringing the subject up to brag. Traveling a lot keeps me from keeping up with small talk so I tend to prefer a discussion about larger topics, if that's ok?

There might be someone in the bandmix universe who finds this an interesting topic. It seems to have gotten you engaged also, btw.

if i had to travel around constantly to work as much as i do.....i would not consider myself "successful". by MY definition of the word.

I'd agree if I "had" to. Again, it sounds like you are trying to diminish me to make yourself feel better, because this was never about judging you as anything less than successful. It's the story about a young girl finding what she thinks success is. She was extremely financially successful at a younger age than you, and SO much better looking. :lol: That's the only real comparison here. :wink:

But since you seem to impugn what I do, then allow me to respond because I've taken that other fork mentioned earlier. Only I decide where and when and how I do anything at all. For the last decade it's financially doing better than when I owned 2 locksmithing companies in Dallas. And I get to play my music only for people who have invited me to come, several times a week. Heck, I've toured the east coast from Birmingham to Pittsburgh for the last month, while having only bandmix as a constant. But it was my choice to travel around visiting my friends. It's a unique situation to be a big fish in small pond so it's not comparable to other genre's, but I do this because I love it. Worldwide. So don't go feeling sorry for my "success" being a drag.

Since you seem to want to make personal comparisons, then ok...I would be so bored to do what you do that I stopped it after a 12 year career in 1989 and retired from music. That was exactly what opened a new door, btw.

your definition has no impact on how i view my "success" and MY definition should have none on how you view your's. they're simply different, that's all.

Never said that it did. I see no reason to assume this was ever personal

But I believe my friend to be just as much of a success story.

I think your friend is "the" success story. That's the exact same decision I made by leaving locksmithing, and later by leaving the label. I believe success in life is being content wherever you are. I made a conscious decision to enjoy life instead of make a lot of money when I left locksmithing. That was the best financial decision I ever made also. Who needs stress?

Having a successful career no matter what occupation one chooses is a subcategory of success in life, so everyone uses their own criteria.

i suppose It's human nature but perhaps something to be on guard about... measuring one's "success" by looking at others we believe to have less while using OUR definition of what "success" is.

and yeah....i get a bit of a whiff of that coming off you here, ted.

Again, more proof that you took this personal when it was nothing about you or me. Can I not have a discussion about the larger issues someone visiting bandmix might have? If you allow me that courtesy, am I to also disregard any experience I could bring to the topic to avoid having whatever smell you think I have?

Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#278088 by Planetguy
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:14 pm
here's where i "immediately went to"....

Planetguy wrote:me... i never had any dream to "make it" or be some "bigtime star" (however you define either of those).

as far as my musical dreams and aspirations....all i ever wanted was a life filled w music. i've been lucky enough to have had exactly that. 8)

i gave you MY definition of success.

you could easily enough accepted that at face value...but no.

it was you that had to weigh in w the "well, EVERYONE see themselves as a success"... and you continue pushing that line. and then you compound that w some goofy assertion as to my definition of success is paramount to saying "every band who can play a song is successful". HUH???? :shock:

no, that's YOU making things personal, and it comes off (to me) as throwing your weight around. maybe i got that wrong...but that's how it comes off.

look,i'm not bent outta shape about this and we can go around and around for another dozen or so posts on it....but why?

now, i've gotta finish packing the van for tonight's gig. have a good night. :D
#278089 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 pm
Planetguy wrote:it was you that had to weigh in w the "well, EVERYONE see themselves as a success"... and you continue pushing that line. and then you compound that w some goofy assertion as to my definition of success is paramount to saying "every band who can play a song is successful". HUH???? :shock:

I said it because it's a true and I'm only exploring the psychology of humans in the statement. I explained the phenomenon as being about everyone. That would include you, but it also includes me and everyone else.

I didn't write the article. Just found it an inspiring piece for someone who is trying to become a recording artist. If that's not you, there's no shame in doing what you love anytime you can.

But again, there was no reason to assume that was personally directed at you. Your simplified definition was "I get to make music with my friends" basically. Well, duh? Doesn't everyone in a band do that? The only thing different is the quality of musicians from band to band. So what? It's still the same excitement that Dayne has jamming with Memphis.

no, that's YOU making things personal, and it comes off (to me) as throwing your weight around. maybe i got that wrong...but that's how it comes off.

look,i'm not bent outta shape about this and we can go around and around for another dozen or so posts on it....but why?

Well, I'm sorry if that's what you thought, but I had hoped you knew me better than that. Evidently I'm terrible at small talk, but I thought that bit about BB King made it clear I try to see the person instead of the accolades? A great pianist is a great pianist whether anyone else recognizes it or not. So when I said "One can be successful without having success" it had nothing to do with anyone personally, ok? Just saying that it happens.

Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#278090 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:42 pm
So ok, to get back to the topic.

Is this the girl who sang about going down with a ship? I have no idea what she does really, but that doesn't take away from her being gutsy and emotionally secure enough to take big chances.

What I found most inspiring about the story was her determination in the face of long odds, and how she followed through on a vision of creative imagination. Seems like that can apply to anyone and everyone in some way.
#278105 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:37 pm
yod wrote:Is this the girl who sang about going down with a ship?

Dunno 'bout that one, but the snippet I remember--it was on the radio all the time--was when she warbled "put on my pooter in the pourin' rain..." Now I'll admit, I was already well into my 30s at the time, and had no clear concept of what a "pooter" was to a teenybopper. To my age group, it's...well, what you sit on. Maybe "pooter" is slang for a raincoat. Maybe she just liked alliteration. I learned to quickly change the station.

yod wrote:I have no idea what she does really...

You're not missing a thing.

yod wrote:but that doesn't take away from her being gutsy and emotionally secure enough to take big chances.

Ahhh...no. When you have nothing--remember, this is a gal who was sleeping in her car--it's very easy to take big risks: you have nothing to lose. Now for you--a husband, father, own a home, have folks whose livelihood depends on you to some degree, etc.--to take a big risk and put up your resources to record an album of, say, gangsta rap, that would be gutsy.